Mic'ing bass drum with kickport?

braincramp

Gold Member
After reading the reviews and seeing the line of endorsees I've decided to take a Kickport for a test drive. My question is how to mic it. I currently boom the mic just inside the port hole. Won't this way defeat the purpose if I use a kickport? Does the mic have to be backed off the kickport a couple inches to get its effect? Any info/experience would be appreicated.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
After reading the reviews and seeing the line of endorsees I've decided to take a Kickport for a test drive. My question is how to mic it. I currently boom the mic just inside the port hole. Won't this way defeat the purpose if I use a kickport? Does the mic have to be backed off the kickport a couple inches to get its effect? Any info/experience would be appreicated.

Treat KICKPORT just as you would your current set up. Find what works best for your situation.

Even with an internal mic KICKPORT produces a noticeable effect on the bass drums low end.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I put one on two of my kits and both drums have intenal mics. One drum is a 22" 1971 Slingerland, the other is a Yamaha 18" Hipgig. From behind the kit the kicks sounds nice and deep even the 18"(Power Stroke 3) on both kits. I have not heard the drums out front yet but was told that they sounded very good. I wish I had more detail. In the near future I will be having the kits miced by a pro audio company and I hope to record the show. That should tell me more.

Kopi

I agree with reply 1, gotta find out what works. If you put it at a certain point it might start to sound "airy" as the air coming out of the kickport is picked up by the mic. Start close, and move out. Like others said, you might want to drop a mic right inside even with a kick port.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Treat KICKPORT just as you would your current set up. Find what works best for your situation.

Even with an internal mic KICKPORT produces a noticeable effect on the bass drums low end.

I mount a mic with a Kelley Shu, and was wondering if the Kickport would still affect the mic signal... Anyone?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I mount a mic with a Kelley Shu, and was wondering if the Kickport would still affect the mic signal... Anyone?

It will, in a good way. The lower frequencies produced effect the front head, which an internal mic will pick up.

IMO the effects produced by KICKPORT are best represented by an internal mic.

timmdrum

Silver Member
It will, in a good way. The lower frequencies produced effect the front head, which an internal mic will pick up.

IMO the effects produced by KICKPORT are best represented by an internal mic.

With the cardioid mic pointed diagonally toward the batter head (about halfway between the middle and edge), how would anything from the front head be picked up?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
With the cardioid mic pointed diagonally toward the batter head (about halfway between the middle and edge), how would anything from the front head be picked up?

The front head creates a chamber ( it encloses the bass drum per say) tuned to a certain frequency, the KICKPORT affects that tuning/frequency, the mic inside a chamber will pick up the dominant frequencies.

A mics pattern/rejection isn't absolute, its gradual and in the case of an enclosed highly reflective chamber as small as a bass drum, the rules change.

Quai34

I know it's a very old thread but it was just the one dealing with my question, Inside mic with Kick Port, so, that's a yes. I did buy one today and install it, but I was. It sure how it was suppose to fit so, I removed tge front head. Now, after having tune to front head again, it seems the !ow end is more present, with more volume or it's more focused maybe but I have few questions: and then
1) It says you should not put dampening touching the resonant head or you will loose the benefit of the kick Port...I tried both and couldn't hear a ?it difference, what about you? Is your dampening "devices" (whatever they are, are touching the resonance had with your Kick Port?
2) Did you tighten a bit more your Resonate head? I don't I'll have a quite long boom after thae I left, should I leave it as is and gate it To the recording stage or at the mixing stage?
3) It says on their brochure/adds etc, that my Kick Port should make use you less, if any, of your dampening device, have the Evans kick pad plus a small towel, what do you use of it?
4) What is your tuning? (For those who use tunebot)
Thanks for helping me, sincerely

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I have a normal sized towel folded into a thin rectangle that touches both heads. I have secured it in place by running elastic from the inside of one lug screw to another, across the bottom of the drum. Some sound engineers lay a plate mic on the towel, others suspend a dynamic mic inside the middle of the drum. Both sound good.

Quai34

Ok, I have an AKG D112 inside, traight form the hole at 4 pm towards the batter head, the mic is 1 or 2 cm form the batter head. For those who have used it I side, do you turn the mic slightly towards the patch where the beater hit the head or do you keep it straight at the head? And lower than the beater or at the same high?

Last edited: