Michael Jackson tribute gig

PQleyR

Platinum Member
It's been ages since I posted anything in here, so here I am returning with a whole load of stuff!

Last night I played an hour's set of Michael Jackson songs with a band that was a sort of supergroup of people from various bands in the local scene I'm a part of (you might recognise my sister on keyboards). We had backing tracks that we made ourselves to do all the various massed backing vocals/sound effects/extra percussion/harp that we wouldn't be able to do live. This was only my second gig playing to a click (although the first of many), and it was an immense amount of work to get it all together in time. We just about managed it though! This was a sort of charity night but having prepared all this we'll probably do it again.

Oh, I should point out that Becki our singer was a last-minute substitute who had only heard 3 of the 11 songs before, so she did a pretty amazing job considering!

Thriller

Billie Jean

The Way You Make Me Feel

Black Or White

Stranger in Moscow

Speed Demon

Give In To Me

P.Y.T.

Beat It

Earth Song

Man In The Mirror

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I love MJ's songs. Some rock steady drumming there Ben, nice stuff. I have a few Q's... Is your bass drum triggered? Also is that Amy on the keys? And are you using a click on any of these songs? I thought Thriller could have been to a click but am not sure.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
No triggers, but Thriller has an additional bass drum on the backing track. I was surprised and impressed with how clear it sounded.
All the songs were played to a click to stay in sync with the backing. And yes, that is Amy on keys!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhhh, Amy ;)

OK, back to reality :) Nice job Ben - very nice indeed. Drums sounded good, & so did you. I was interested to see you playing straight 12's on "the way you make me feel". I'd have probably made life a bit easier for myself & gone hand to hand, but then again, I am an old fart ;) Congratulations on pulling off the live click thing. Never easy. I thought your singer did a good job too, considering she was thrown in at the deep end last minute.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Thanks Andy. I just felt that TWYMMF needed more of a rounded feel than you'd get from hand to hand. I need to work on my bass drum placement and balance, I find hi-hat pedal work throws me off and you can hear a few moments where I get a bit unstuck in that song particularly.

Here's another one: Give In To Me

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
One handed 8th note triplets sound better one handed, IMO, if the tempo allows it. My trio does that song too and one handed 8th note trips really move that song along. I used to play a shuffle pattern on the hh, it works, but one night I just started playing 8th note trips and haven't gone back. Great song.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Andy. I just felt that TWYMMF needed more of a rounded feel than you'd get from hand to hand. I need to work on my bass drum placement and balance, I find hi-hat pedal work throws me off and you can hear a few moments where I get a bit unstuck in that song particularly.

Here's another one: Give In To Me
One handed 8th note triplets sound better one handed, IMO, if the tempo allows it. My trio does that song too and one handed 8th note trips really move that song along. I used to play a shuffle pattern on the hh, it works, but one night I just started playing 8th note trips and haven't gone back. Great song.
Yes guys, I understand how hand to hand can be a bit stiff/regimented. I feel the same myself sometimes, but out of nothing more noble than sheer laziness, I've nailed down accenting in that format quite well.

Great gig Ben. Amy was smoking on the keys too. She makes such good playing choices.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I will pass that on to her! Amy's biggest contribution to this gig was probably transcribing all the songs by ear in order to construct the parts. She spent weeks on it. With hindsight it's pretty amazing we managed to get this ready in three months.

Toolate

Platinum Member
Is there a reso head on that kick? The laundry always throws my eye off for some reason. I would prefer a white/black head to hide it. Aside from that, looks like the dance floor was full! Nice work- it would take me way more that 3 mos to work that up...

PQleyR

Platinum Member
No resonant head. I know, it looks a bit casual but...well, it was a bit casual. I like the sound though, there's more attack than I know what to do with (not ideal for this gig perhaps but for my usual stuff it's great).

By the way, the full set is now complete for your perusal.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Ben, tremendous job for only your second gig playing to a click. Apart from TWYMMF your grooves sounded comfortable - it shows how good your time is.

Well done keeping up those fast one-handed hats in TWYMMF. II'd struggle playing it like that ... I'd feel most comfortable either playing a shuffle with ghosted 1-trip and 3-trips (as 1-trip-let, 2-trip-let), or playing Rlr Lrl ghosting the snare rather than playing it all on the hats.

I have no issues with laundry in the bass drum. Done it many times myself.