Mic Stand

TheDrumster

I'm trying to mic my snare and I've been unhappy with the clip I have. Any suggestions for either a mic clip or stand that is fairly unobtrusive but allows for good positioning?

I assume you're using something like a 57. Have you simply tried a low profile stand, like the ones made for BD and Snare?

p24384.jpg

consider a multi-clamp (Gibraltar, Sonor, etc. all make them) with a goose neck to mount the mic. Easy to position and keep out of the way. You can use the std mic clip or get an iso mount. I use the std clips.

I second going with the short small boom stand. Some time ago, I tried mounting the mic to the drum rims, but then you're kinda' limited in placement, and then you may be dealing with drum vibrations going through the mic, and possibly vibrating the mic so it falls out of the clip too. It's another small stand to carry around, but it's the best for what you need.

I use the Shure A56D Microphone Drum Mount with a rubber mic clip. With a SM57 it's never fallen out and is easy to place No vibration issues either. It's one less stand I have to pack.

Side note for short booms...

Get the weighted one if you use a drum riser. It has smaller footprint and won't fall off the edge.

Get the tripod if working on floors and/or if you need to reach extra far.

I use the Shure A56D Microphone Drum Mount with a rubber mic clip. With a SM57 it's never fallen out and is easy to place No vibration issues either. It's one less stand I have to pack.

That's what I'm currently using and I can't quite get it into the position I want. When I swivel the hex shaped unit I have to choose between two positions, each of which is just a little off....

That's what I'm currently using and I can't quite get it into the position I want. When I swivel the hex shaped unit I have to choose between two positions, each of which is just a little off....

I understand your concern. After a bit of tests I ended up placing the mic at about 10 oclock position and that works well for recording or live.

Don't plan on extending that arm anywhere but straight up because that base is so small it will tip over. I had that stand and got rid of it.

Don't plan on extending that arm anywhere but straight up because that base is so small it will tip over. I had that stand and got rid of it.

I have one of those stands, and it's uni-directional. It holds a 57 at near-full extension as long as the base-weight is oriented in the direction of the mic..

Back