Mic stand set ups: Don Henley+Abe Laboriel Jr.

Tony Marz

Both Don Henley and Abe Laboriel Jr. have these awesome mic stands that stand behind the drummer's back, then go over their heads onto their mouths.

I've even seen Abe whack away his stand and bring it back when needed.

Does anyone have any leads on mic stands that function like this?

Currently, I have a regular tripod mic stand with a goose neck extension I attached. I place the whole thing behind me when there's enough room on stage, but this system is too short and I can't whack it in and out of my way.

Here's a YT vid of Abe doing what I'm talking about...below at around 1 minute in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwm6W6MDYMM

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Both Don Henley and Abe Laboriel Jr. have these awesome mic stands that stand behind the drummer's back, then go over their heads onto their mouths.

I've even seen Abe whack away his stand and bring it back when needed.
Pat Torpey of Mr. Big had one like that and would do the same thing when his solo came up or he needed to do vocals.
A great system for sure. I have a basic stand with the flex neck on the boom that I use and it's perfect. Curl the neck around so the mic is by the side of my mouth. Pics up the voice AND leaves my face unobstructed.

Tony Marz

something like this https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/vocal-miking-for-the-singing-drummer/

That one Abe is using is probably a custom made. Almost looks like a bunch of cymbal booms and DW dog bones put together to make it.
Yeah I thought I saw some drum hardware looking stuff looking stuff in there but I wasn't sure. I guess I can buy a bunch of those dw dog bones and mickey mouse something together.

Not sure about the swivel-action though.
Aren't there some sort of mic stands that swivel that are used in the movie lighting industry?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Yeah I thought I saw some drum hardware looking stuff looking stuff in there but I wasn't sure. I guess I can buy a bunch of those dw dog bones and mickey mouse something together.

Not sure about the swivel-action though.
Aren't there some sort of mic stands that swivel that are used in the movie lighting industry?
That will get insanely heavy and expensive.

Why not just go with a good headset mic?

Naigewron

Platinum Member
This was my setup for a while. Worked very well, but was a bit annoying when I didn't have space behind me (which isn't exactly uncommon on small stages, having the drum kit pushed as far back as possible).

It's just a regular mic stand with a telescope boom and a fairly long gooseneck attachment.

The 50s style microphone mounted upside down made the whole setup really nice and out of the way of even my flailing arms.

Attachments

Tony Marz

That will get insanely heavy and expensive.

Why not just go with a good headset mic?
I'm trying to sell my head set mic right now.
I'm sick of the fast food drive through jokes.
Plus, it's sucks for dynamics in the voice because it's fixed in one spot (you can't move it away from your mouth when you want to belt out something.

This was my setup for a while. Worked very well, but was a bit annoying when I didn't have space behind me (which isn't exactly uncommon on small stages, having the drum kit pushed as far back as possible).

It's just a regular mic stand with a telescope boom and a fairly long gooseneck attachment.

The 50s style microphone mounted upside down made the whole setup really nice and out of the way of even my flailing arms.

That's a cool mic.
I was thinking about the Shure beta 56 because it doesn't hide your face as much. (of coarse the goose neck is right in my way too so IDK)

Morrisman

Platinum Member
If I had the setup in the video I'd be hitting it with my face every time I played a tom or a crash. And the stand in front of my eyes would be annoying.

The best option for me is a normal boom over my left shoulder, with the mic pointing back towards me from the side. The cable can get in the way, so I use a 90 degree xlr plug. I'd like to try a swivel head like a 56, an EV or a side address mic, but for now a standard vocal mic with the right angle plug is convenient and comfortable.