Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

Exactly what I was thinking. She looks as if she has never broken a sweat behind the kit in her life.

About as much passion as dry white bread. All fluff.

Exactly the opposite of Evelyn Glennie, Terri Lynne or Sheila E.

Another female drummer that appears to have really come a very long way would be Caroline Corr. While the Corrs are not the type of music I would intentionally go seeking out, I've attended two live performances due to circumstance, and was impressed with just how tight the drumming was. While I don't regard her as a virtuoso, you can tell she's put in a lot of throne time. Very polished and well rehearsed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXlPWeTJN9Q

My absolute favorite female drummer, despite her lack of technique, can be found here playing an entirely original composition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-4sZdM-CY

My absolute favorite female drummer, despite her lack of technique, can be found here playing an entirely original composition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-4sZdM-CY

That was the most precious thing ever. Thanks for that.

Matched grip. Not tied at all to playing conventionally. Very avant garde. I get the impression from her performance that the carpet was equally regarded as a place to direct the sticks. It says a lot artistically.

Another female drummer that appears to have really come a very long way would be Caroline Corr. While the Corrs are not the type of music I would intentionally go seeking out, I've attended two live performances due to circumstance, and was impressed with just how tight the drumming was. While I don't regard her as a virtuoso, you can tell she's put in a lot of throne time. Very polished and well rehearsed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXlPWeTJN9Q

Awesome!! I enjoyed both of your selections very much. My son used to play the snare drum the same way when he was a baby, but I have no video, only a still pic. Plus, you know, he's a dude so this isn't the right thread, lol.

OK. So I was slightly bummed out. On her fb page, Meytal said she was going to be playing with Doug Wimbish and Victor Wooten (which also included a couple of other people and an 11-year-old guitar phenom), but when they did their set, Meytal was not there.

She was however, slated to be performing after Doug and Victor were done. But I had left by then.

It was stupid crowded and being short, I had to contend to watch other people's cel phones that they were holding over the crowd. Hence why I left.

Did anyone stick around to see if Doug or Victor stuck around to play with Meytal?

I never saw Meytal.

I did meet Lux at the Ddrum booth. She is very nice and we had a good conversation.

But in an embarrassing moment, I went to hand her my business card and accidentally grabbed my hotel keycard out of my pocket and started to hand that to her.

opps!

I really didn't mean to do that. I'm happily married!

I never saw Meytal.

I did meet Lux at the Ddrum booth. She is very nice and we had a good conversation.

But in an embarrassing moment, I went to hand her my business card and accidentally grabbed my hotel keycard out of my pocket and started to hand that to her.

opps!

I really didn't mean to do that. I'm happily married!

Sure. Whatever you say, Mr. Drum ;)

I'm a little late to the party here and was completely unfamiliar with this person. After a look-see my impression is that this is yet another individual trying very hard to market themselves in the commercial world in any way they can. That shouldn't surprise anyone given the society we have created. Frankly I'm surprised that this thread is four pages long. Ooo look, a female drummer. She's smiles at the camera a lot and wears modestly revealing clothing to get people's attention. Yeah, and my drumsticks are made out of wood. Thank you Doctor Obvious.

I'm a little late to the party here and was completely unfamiliar with this person. After a look-see my impression is that this is yet another individual trying very hard to market themselves in the commercial world in any way they can. That shouldn't surprise anyone given the society we have created. Frankly I'm surprised that this thread is four pages long. Ooo look, a female drummer. She's smiles at the camera a lot and wears modestly revealing clothing to get people's attention. Yeah, and my drumsticks are made out of wood. Thank you Doctor Obvious.

Are you sure they're made out of wood?

;)

OK. So I was slightly bummed out. On her fb page, Meytal said she was going to be playing with Doug Wimbish and Victor Wooten (which also included a couple of other people and an 11-year-old guitar phenom), but when they did their set, Meytal was not there.

And also, she said this afterwards:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2015-01-26 um 09.44.39.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-01-26 um 09.44.39.png
    310.1 KB · Views: 705
Still no videos of her playing live anywhere. Love to say I told you so :b

And also, she said this afterwards:

Wow. All I can say is they had a placard up saying she had the 5pm slot after Doug Wimbish, but I didn't stick for that. Doug did his thing, someone has a video up of that already, but I didn't see her on stage with them.

If that video is live, and not flexed and filled with overdubs, then I have officially lost my ability to determine what is live and what is fake. At the end of the guitar lead, when the lead is sustaining on a bent note, and the guitarist on stage is still wildly moving his hands all around the neck... Some of the audible fills didn't match what the drums were shown to be playing. It honestly looks like a showcase video.

While I have no doubt that Meytal can play live, and that she's a far better drummer than I will ever be, I'd really like to see a raw "Juan's Basement" style video of her playing.

If that video is live, and not flexed and filled with overdubs, then I have officially lost my ability to determine what is live and what is fake. At the end of the guitar lead, when the lead is sustaining on a bent note, and the guitarist on stage is still wildly moving his hands all around the neck... Some of the audible fills didn't match what the drums were shown to be playing. It honestly looks like a showcase video.

While I have no doubt that Meytal can play live, and that she's a far better drummer than I will ever be, I'd really like to see a raw "Juan's Basement" style video of her playing.

Yes, obviously the studio version was mixed into the audio. You can hear it in the vocals.

The Whiskey's sound system isn't that great.

Although to be fair, lots of bands do this simply because getting a good audio feed isn't always possible.

Yes. This is all I want too. I just want to see her play for real. Her placard even labeled her as a "YouTube Sensation" and I'm not sure I'd be proud of that. Up to this point my question stands, "does she play?" I'm almost sure of it, but I can't tell 😢

So there's a photo on Meytal's Facebook page that supposedly was taken when Matt Bo Eder was there, but she wasn't there when he saw the other two playing? How did she get a photo of herself with those two players? Who's behind the curtain?

I am confused and intrigued.

Last edited:
I guess she was there as Doug Wimbish's FB page has her in a final bows picture. But I swear I didn't see her, didn't hear her name or anything. I was looking at other people's phones as they filmed the event. It sounded like someone was playing basic beats through V-drums.

Back