Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

T

The SunDog

Total BS! Show me 46and2 played live. Such average garbage in that Whiskey (pay to play venue) video. Where's the real proof she can play all of that world class stuff she does in her mock videos. She's Meytal Cohen! Are you telling me she didn't do a drum solo that night? Where's that footage. Conveniently absent? Or did she not solo?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Total BS! Show me 46and2 played live. Such average garbage in that Whiskey (pay to play venue) video. Where's the real proof she can play all of that world class stuff she does in her mock videos. She's Meytal Cohen! Are you telling me she didn't do a drum solo that night? Where's that footage. Conveniently absent? Or did she not solo?
There's always a jump between the person and their persona. Just ask Bill Cosby or Santa Clause at the mall. There's always disappointment when you see something without it having been produced. The whisky performance was average/good, and that was a relief. My fear was that she would have been horrible, and the youtube stuff a complete fabrication.

T

The SunDog

I'll give you average/good, but I m still saying the YouTube stuff is fabricated. I can play everything that Danny Carey ever wrote if you give me sixteen tracks, pro tools, and as many takes as necessary. To me that is fake, and I still don't see proof otherwise.

incrementalg

Gold Member
All I wanna see is Meytal pound the !$&! outta the drums just once. She's fluid as hell and I think she's got chops, but bopping around the kit while covering Tool just looks and feels odd to me.

Btw, I saw Tool many years ago...before they broke big. Watched them cover Rush's Cygnus X1 and it was jaw dropping!

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Hey I feel left out.
I'm just about the only forum member who has not commented in this thread.

I really don't need to say this, but I'm going to.
The only real test of a drummer is how he or she holds a live band together, especially when playing with musicians with a bad sense of timing.
I would have to see them live to see if they are leading the band and taking control of the rhythm and the groove or simply playing along with the band.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Again, I feel like I should apologize for bringing this up. This thread has gone on for four pages and I didn't mean to start a mean-spirited "lets all hate Meytal" thread.

I was just looking forward to seeing her actually play. Like many of you, I'd like to be sure. If she did like many of us and get one camera, throw it up in a corner somewhere and post some jamming videos of her by herself with no post-production, that would answer some questions.

I mean heck, when I see Bernard Purdie just sit down on a kit and start grooving, I figure that's a bar that everyone should be able to do if you're gonna call yourself a drummer. I'm trying to not equate Meytal to a manufactured act like the Monkees or The Archies, you know?

Now I remember when everyone was ripping on Hannah Ford and then she landed her gig with Prince and now we've all kinda' stopped talking about her (as if she's proved herself). But I've seen random Hannah Ford videos where she just plays something and goes somewhere with it, and she says she studied with famed Pat Metheny drummer, Paul Wertico and went to college, so there's some legitimacy there.

And I didn't mean for this to be sexist, it started out because I said she was pretty and I don't notice her playing (very tongue-in-cheek). But I would be just as suspicious of men doing the same thing. I could be starting another bad mouthing session (I'm not, honest), but I'd really like to see George Kollias groove some really slow James Brown on a four-piece without triggers too.

So as far as Ms. Cohen goes, getting a career off the ground is no easy feat and using all the tools available to you is not a crime if you have access. I would just like to see her do some inspired playing. Doing note-for-note drum covers doesn't seem inspiring to me - music is art. It's that feeling of looking at a blank sheet of paper and creating something on it that's all yours. Drum covers have done the thinking part for you. Let's take that away.

I promise, if we all did that, I'll do it too.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Again, I feel like I should apologize for bringing this up. This thread has gone on for four pages and I didn't mean to start a mean-spirited "lets all hate Meytal" thread.

I was just looking forward to seeing her actually play. Like many of you, I'd like to be sure. If she did like many of us and get one camera, throw it up in a corner somewhere and post some jamming videos of her by herself with no post-production, that would answer some questions.

I mean heck, when I see Bernard Purdie just sit down on a kit and start grooving, I figure that's a bar that everyone should be able to do if you're gonna call yourself a drummer. I'm trying to not equate Meytal to a manufactured act like the Monkees or The Archies, you know?

Now I remember when everyone was ripping on Hannah Ford and then she landed her gig with Prince and now we've all kinda' stopped talking about her (as if she's proved herself). But I've seen random Hannah Ford videos where she just plays something and goes somewhere with it, and she says she studied with famed Pat Metheny drummer, Paul Wertico and went to college, so there's some legitimacy there.

And I didn't mean for this to be sexist, it started out because I said she was pretty and I don't notice her playing (very tongue-in-cheek). But I would be just as suspicious of men doing the same thing. I could be starting another bad mouthing session (I'm not, honest), but I'd really like to see George Kollias groove some really slow James Brown on a four-piece without triggers too.

So as far as Ms. Cohen goes, getting a career off the ground is no easy feat and using all the tools available to you is not a crime if you have access. I would just like to see her do some inspired playing. Doing note-for-note drum covers doesn't seem inspiring to me - music is art. It's that feeling of looking at a blank sheet of paper and creating something on it that's all yours. Drum covers have done the thinking part for you. Let's take that away.

I promise, if we all did that, I'll do it too.
Good post. I agree. She deserves kudos for creating a brand and marketing it well. She clearly enjoys playing and I'm all for anyone who can make a living doing what they enjoy.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Good post. I agree. She deserves kudos for creating a brand and marketing it well. She clearly enjoys playing and I'm all for anyone who can make a living doing what they enjoy.
Thanks. I just didn't want this thread to spiral out of control like some of those mean-spirited ones we've had about Meg White or Cobus.

But the whole "making a career" is definitely difficult. I tried to be a 100% full time musician and discovered that I was saying "yes" to everything and just plain being unhappy because I had to play music I didn't like or deal with humans I wouldn't want to have lunch with, you know? Sometimes I think I chickened out a bit by diversifying a career so I could actually say "no" to some people and music projects. But the upside is that I have my house and wife, and we take vacations and can go to the doctor when we get sick. To not have any of that but you plow forward to get your playing career off the ground, that takes some cajones, and I applaud Ms. Cohen for doing that - but I doubt I'd ask what her financial life looks like.

I remember what it was like when I was in my 20s and I'd do anything to be able to play. As I got older with no big things on the horizon, I got responsible and didn't want to drag my wife through that kind of life. So here I am.

Having said that, I'm still available and making musical lifestyle changes as we speak. I'm breaking out a bit more again.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
But the whole "making a career" is definitely difficult. I tried to be a 100% full time musician and discovered that I was saying "yes" to everything and just plain being unhappy because I had to play music I didn't like or deal with humans I wouldn't want to have lunch with, you know? Sometimes I think I chickened out a bit by diversifying a career so I could actually say "no" to some people and music projects. But the upside is that I have my house and wife, and we take vacations and can go to the doctor when we get sick. To not have any of that but you plow forward to get your playing career off the ground, that takes some cajones, and I applaud Ms. Cohen for doing that - but I doubt I'd ask what her financial life looks like.

I remember what it was like when I was in my 20s and I'd do anything to be able to play. As I got older with no big things on the horizon, I got responsible and didn't want to drag my wife through that kind of life. So here I am.
Well said, I feel you! And by the way, Meytal may very well have some big cajones, as opposed to cojones, LOL!!!

mikel

Platinum Member
Its no sweat. If people promote themselves and big themselves up using social media then they also leave themselves wide open to being put down by the same method. Live by the sword etc.

Gigging with bands, in bars and clubs, over a long period of time, and gaining a good reputation with other musicians, is the best way to build a reputation and get the phone ringing. Going on Youtube, scantily dressed, Is the lazy way to get Joe public to watch you, for whatever reason.

Only longevity in the industry is real proof of quality. That, obviously, takes time.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Going on Youtube, scantily dressed, Is the lazy way to get Joe public to watch you, for whatever reason.

In this day and age, youtube videos are the product, and revenue is acquired through ads. There is no longer a need to release albums. There's no need to even create an album. You can make a living simply doing play alongs and looking cool. If you can get people watching, you can earn a living. I try not to knock the progressives, no matter how ridiculous their business models may be. Sometimes it leads to something new.

Strange times.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
In this day and age, youtube videos are the product, and revenue is acquired through ads. There is no longer a need to release albums. There's no need to even create an album. You can make a living simply doing play alongs and looking cool. If you can get people watching, you can earn a living.
I think this won't last long. I mean if you think it all the way through, somebody
has to create the playbacks, and somebody has to provide interesting, successful
songs to feed the youtube "stars" so they have enough material to cover ;).

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't get why so many people have an opinion on what Meytal should or should not be. We don't get to dictate that.

She is what she is. What's wrong with that? She has no responsibility to be what we dictate, just like she doesn't get to dictate how we should be.

There is.... and always has been....room for everyone.... to be exactly like they are, strengths and shortcomings be darned.

Just let her be. She's doing fine and she seems happy in her choices. What's the problem again? She isn't all things to all people?

Acceptance is a beautiful thing.

Meytal is fine exactly how she is and I applaud her for building her name to a point where she is known by her peers, her perfectly legal methods notwithstanding. Good for her. She used her natural gifts and the available communication tools in such a way that made herself stand up and be noticed.

S

Stickman

for the girls, nobody really cares. We're more interested in the clothes they're wearing and what they look like.

It must be frustrating to be a woman. Am I pointing out the obvious again?
wow! a very sexist remark. "for the girls, nobody really cares?" that is sad to here coming from a fellow drummer that is supposed to appreciate the hardwork and skill it takes to master this instrument regardless of gender.

Yes it is very frustrating being a woman and when I read comments like this it just deflates me.

wow! a very sexist remark. "for the girls, nobody really cares?" that is sad to here coming from a fellow drummer that is supposed to appreciate the hardwork and skill it takes to master this instrument regardless of gender.

Yes it is very frustrating being a woman and when I read comments like this it just deflates me.

I think you're missing the satirical slant in Bo's post. Tongue planted firmly in cheek. I think he was stating the obvious in that, sexist as it may be, some blokes check her out just for the, um, aesthically pleasing aspect of her appearances more than for her playing. Don't be deflated. You may not know Bo, and with him things are not always as they seem.

JollySmalls

Mine is probably a very unpopular opinion. As a drummer, I find that she lacks any real meaning and doesn't seem to have her own technique. She seems kind of fake, and I just get weird vibes from watching her play. She doesn't seem to REALLY enjoy it.
Something else that bugs me is that her and her videos always seem to be overdone, with too much emphasis on looking good rather than just playing and sounding good. That said, I have only watched, I dunno, 5 or 6 of her covers. I just don't enjoy them.
I fully agree. Also when you just cut out parts you can't play, why bother?

Learn it, practice it, then cover it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFJbSzhovk