Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
We live in a stranges society; what is wrong with looking good while playing well. Blame Gene Krupa, he sure promoted himself and his looks.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Wow GRUNTERSDAD, Emmanuelle Caplette is a very talented young lady-awesome drumming.
Nothing wrong for any male or female drummer to be exceptionally good looking too. I guess since women ogle cute male drummers and men ogle attractive female drummers then it's neutral-all is well in the universe. It's great too you can be butt ugly and still be a famous and beloved musician-least that's my hope LOL.

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
I'd rather listen to Emanuelle Caplette, Cortney DeAugustine and all the other substantial players who bring something deeper to the table than a nice rack and poofy hair.

She's probably a very nice person so I'm speaking more to the celebrity of what she exudes. I'm not really a fan. Maybe if she played some original music that was intellectual and not in 4/4...

drummer-russ

Gold Member
What I get out watching Meytal are some of things some folks are crapping on. Her effortless playing inspired me to play differently than I have. Many times learning a new song, I am playing way more intense than necessary. I often catch myself reading into it more than it is. Relax... play the beats.

As far as her smiling... what is the problem folks? Good gawd. I have never understood that typical, badass grimace a lot of artists put out there. What is that? Image? Don't think so. Give me a smile and let me know you love your art.

It is not so much the smile alone. I smile all the time. But it is a flirty very aware of the camera kind of smile, that does not make me think she just loves drumming but rather looks like she likes being looked at or realizes her looks get her the attention.

BTW this is all rather unfair given we realty don't know her so let me emphasize, I am commenting on the character she has created with her youtube efforts.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
I'd rather listen to Emanuelle Caplette, Cortney DeAugustine and all the other substantial players who bring something deeper to the table than a nice rack and poofy hair.

She's probably a very nice person so I'm speaking more to the celebrity of what she exudes. I'm not really a fan. Maybe if she played some original music that was intellectual and not in 4/4...

Spot on man. I just checked out Emanuelle Caplette just now - she's excellent, no BS just great playing.

The Sloth

I'll be honest...I've never been blown away by any female drummer. I'm not even talking about heavy drumming - the instrument takes muscle; it seems to require there be some weight attached to the arms.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I think you all need to go to jelly school. I watched a vid and it looked like most of the hits lined up. Stuff was I'm sure fixed and enhanced sound wise, but pretending like tons of guys also doing the silly drum covers thing don't edit and process is a bit silly.

As for the sex appeal, if you have a problem with sexy people getting attention, (not to mention a lot of other things) well, you might as well go ahead and get used to that.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I've followed Meytal for a few months and really dig her playing. I also like how she markets her brand. Even though she has a band (and they recently played their first gig), she's primarily marketed herself as kind of a stand alone drummer and done a good job at it.

Her playing is fluid as hell. No doubt she can play. But, I'd like to see her really lay into a song and play it like there's no tomorrow. I have yet to see her do that.

The Sloth

The trouble is attractive people only have to be mediocre at the talent and eloquence portion of the contest, and they'll win everything. Being sexy is its own reward. The species lives on. Fantastic.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I'll be honest...I've never been blown away by any female drummer. I'm not even talking about heavy drumming - the instrument takes muscle; it seems to require there be some weight attached to the arms.

Haha this is pretty laughable, I'm sorry.

I'm skinny as hell, have virtually no muscle, pretty sure most women have more oomph to them then me. By your logic, I shouldn't play?

Also by that logic, that means men can't play anything that requires finesse. So no jazz combo playing by dudes? Or that men can't play piano?

bud7h4

Silver Member

Yeah, like Jojo Mayer and Terry Bozzio.

Nancy_C

If you're not in a band and dealing with all that comes with that, you're really not that good of a drummer. (OK, that's nonsense, but I'm exaggerating to make a point. Bear with me.)

When you can play fairly well AND manage to work through your band mates' various marriage problems, addictions, hangovers, annoying work schedules, texts from wives/girlfriends about mundane crap that could have easily waited 'til after practice, AND their timing problems, refusal to listen to the drummer, endless guitar solos, frontman egoism, poor work ethic, situational insanity, blame-shifting, tone deafness, and other idiosyncrasies musicians tend toward, then I'll respect you as a musician.

If I want to see tits, I'll take off my damn shirt. Half the planet has them -- they're not that special.

I smile when I play because I'm happy -- and sweaty, disheveled, and not trying to be sexy. Works for me. YMMV

M

Matt Bo Eder

Now that Nancy has chimed in, I'm almost sorry I brought it up. I just wanted to say that I'm distracted by her looks to notice that she's playing. I'm not digging on her for not being able to play or anything like that. More power to her for the marketing stuff. But I'm not saying she's any less of a musician than any of the rest of us.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
If you're not in a band and dealing with all that comes with that, you're really not that good of a drummer. (OK, that's nonsense, but I'm exaggerating to make a point. Bear with me.)

When you can play fairly well AND manage to work through your band mates' various marriage problems, addictions, hangovers, annoying work schedules, texts from wives/girlfriends about mundane crap that could have easily waited 'til after practice, AND their timing problems, refusal to listen to the drummer, endless guitar solos, frontman egoism, poor work ethic, situational insanity, blame-shifting, tone deafness, and other idiosyncrasies musicians tend toward, then I'll respect you as a musician.

If I want to see tits, I'll take off my damn shirt. Half the planet has them -- they're not that special.

I smile when I play because I'm happy -- and sweaty, disheveled, and not trying to be sexy. Works for me. YMMV

I love this response!

Stroman

Platinum Member

I just have to say, if you're part the half that doesn't have them, they're still pretty damned special!!

OK, now that I've got that off my chest, (pun intended!) your response was great! Loved it.

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Maybe if she played some original music that was intellectual and not in 4/4...

What? She makes a living doing the exact same thing that at least half of this very forum does? Playing covers?? Perish the thought!!

I agree. Hang, draw and quarter the silly tart for daring to play unoriginal and non-intellectual, 4/4 simplicity.

I mean, why on earth should she be held held to the same standard as everyone else, right? Especially by those that would willingly cut off their right nut for half her exposure.

SquadLeader

Gold Member

Jesus. You took over my drumming spot in my band and they never even told me ???