Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

Superman

Gold Member
Ehh... I don't really like watching her play. Something just doesn't seem right when I watch her videos. She is playing the parts, but the sound doesn't seem to be lining up for how she is playing. Her playing looks very sloppy, but the sound is perfectly clean. There are accents and full crash hits in the track, but in the video she is just tapping away on the kit, smiling and showing off her cleavage. The sound and the video just don't link up and it racks my brain when I watch it. There is probably a lot of mixing and editing for her drum tracks in her videos, and perhaps even some overdubs that get put in there on some of the fills. I never notice this phenomenon with anyone else's playing. Only her's. And it's on every single video. Its like lip syncing, but on the drums. Something feels off.

I agree with this. At first I thought she was playing effortlessly, then I realized she was just playing with no effort. You watch her and she's barely holding the sticks and just tapping and you hear her and it just sounds way different. I have no doubt that she can play the songs, but what you see and what you hear don't seem like the same takes. It is a shame that the focus with here seems on creating a brand rather than just being a drummer.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Perhaps I should feel guilty that I bought a t-shirt then? Damn.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I agree with this. At first I thought she was playing effortlessly, then I realized she was just playing with no effort. You watch her and she's barely holding the sticks and just tapping and you hear her and it just sounds way different. I have no doubt that she can play the songs, but what you see and what you hear don't seem like the same takes. It is a shame that the focus with here seems on creating a brand rather than just being a drummer.

I forgot about her branding. Does she still put "Meytal" stickers on her cymbals and heads? #facepalm

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
She is an attractive young lady who plays well. Awesome I support that. But if it isn't my imagination she does seems to try and be seductive in her dress and eye play-but then again she is gorgeous and probably can't help it-it's my problem LOL? I like Michele Drees on the Guru site playing much better-she really grooves with great technique. Course lots of talented female drummers. I think Karen Carpenter was a drummer of some renown and not just a singer.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Cool Karen Carpenter was a drummer-from Wikipedia:"Carpenter started playing the drums in 1964. She was always enthusiastic about the drums and taught herself how to play complicated drum lines with "exotic time signatures," according to her brother.[8] Carpenter's drumming was praised by fellow drummers Hal Blaine, Cubby O'Brien, Buddy Rich[11] and by Modern Drummer magazine.[12] According to her brother, Carpenter always considered herself a "drummer who sang." Despite this, she was not often featured as a drummer on the Carpenters' albums. She was, however, the only drummer on the album Ticket to Ride and on the songs "Mr. Guder" and "Please Mr. Postman." The role of drummer in the Carpenters entourage was mainly taken over by Hal Blaine as she went from behind the drum set to the front of the stage.[13]"
Wow that's pretty cool. I was fixing to suggest she be on Drummerworld but she already is-big dummy I am should have known this.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've only watched a couple videos of Meytal, and Emmanuelle Caplette. I've got to tell ya, Emmanuelle has it all. Total pro from looks to playing ability. I was in awe of her playing, and her appearance.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Cool Karen Carpenter was a drummer-from Wikipedia:"Carpenter started playing the drums in 1964. She was always enthusiastic about the drums and taught herself how to play complicated drum lines with "exotic time signatures," according to her brother.[8] Carpenter's drumming was praised by fellow drummers Hal Blaine, Cubby O'Brien, Buddy Rich[11] and by Modern Drummer magazine.[12] According to her brother, Carpenter always considered herself a "drummer who sang." Despite this, she was not often featured as a drummer on the Carpenters' albums. She was, however, the only drummer on the album Ticket to Ride and on the songs "Mr. Guder" and "Please Mr. Postman." The role of drummer in the Carpenters entourage was mainly taken over by Hal Blaine as she went from behind the drum set to the front of the stage.[13]"
Wow that's pretty cool. I was fixing to suggest she be on Drummerworld but she already is-big dummy I am should have known this.

I could only ever find a single clip for Karen Carpenter in terms of her sat behind a drum kit playing it (plenty of percussion clips...glockenspiel etc...but no drums).

But on the clip I saw of her playing drums...she was great.

But what a tortured soul. A real shame.

bigiainw

Gold Member
I could only ever find a single clip for Karen Carpenter in terms of her sat behind a drum kit playing it (plenty of percussion clips...glockenspiel etc...but no drums).

But on the clip I saw of her playing drums...she was great.

But what a tortured soul. A real shame.

There was a Carpenters at the BBC programme on BBC 4 last week- Lots of behind the kit live action going on there. It's probably still on iplayer.

For you Bo, lots of girl on concert tom action in it too!

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Its marketing 101. Everybody wants to see beautiful young women perform. Young girls, young boys, old men, everybody. We would all rather watch an attractive young women than an old guy if given the opportunity. There are literally millions of singers in the world better than Katy Perry or Taylor Swift, but very few of them are as marketable. In todays music world the image is more important than the substance. Its not good, its not bad, it just is. If you think this kind of thing is not discussed in every board room of every corporation everyday you are delusional. I applaud the people who can put it all together and market themselves in a profitable way. I wish I could make money from youtube videos, but nobody wants to see another middle aged guy play the drums. The market is already saturated.

Its not sexist to say that people enjoy watching her because she is an attractive young woman. I am not even sure that is debatable, reading the comments in her videos leads me to believe is damn near a fact. It would be sexist to say that she cant play the drums because she is a girl, and I have not heard anybody say that here. The horse might be dead on this subject, but its always worthwhile to give it a good flogging once in a while for good measure.

bub72ck

Its marketing 101. Everybody wants to see beautiful young women perform. Young girls, young boys, old men, everybody. We would all rather watch an attractive young women than an old guy if given the opportunity. There are literally millions of singers in the world better than Katy Perry or Taylor Swift, but very few of them are as marketable. In todays music world the image is more important than the substance. Its not good, its not bad, it just is. If you think this kind of thing is not discussed in every board room of every corporation everyday you are delusional. I applaud the people who can put it all together and market themselves in a profitable way. I wish I could make money from youtube videos, but nobody wants to see another middle aged guy play the drums. The market is already saturated.

Its not sexist to say that people enjoy watching her because she is an attractive young woman. I am not even sure that is debatable, reading the comments in her videos leads me to believe is damn near a fact. It would be sexist to say that she cant play the drums because she is a girl, and I have not heard anybody say that here. The horse might be dead on this subject, but its always worthwhile to give it a good flogging once in a while for good measure.

It's not sexist at all. Her attire and "looks" at the camera are there for a reason. She may be coached by someone or not. She IS a good drummer. I'm just not convinced she would be as popular as she is if she was a man, or less attractive, or whatever she is not. That's human nature.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
To me Meytal is a good drummer but does exploit her looks for the sake of fame. I guess part of it is that most girls her age wear clothes that show cleavage. But the constant smiling at the camera is a put off for me.

Karen Carpenter was a very good drummer. There are a lot of clips out there that show her skills. Her and Buddy were really the first two drummers I really liked. Buddy first then after I started drumming I saw Karen and she plays a lot like the old jazz greats.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I do think she draws a lot of attention for being a very pretty girl drummer, probably more than someone else might who was male, but at least to me, I give her full kudo's for finding a way to make a career in music in an era that is increasingly hard to make any sort of money at all.
Also, I'd like to think that she is a positive role model for other young ladies who would like to play an instrument. The more exposure she and other female drummers get, I'd like to hope that someday being a female drummer doesn't cause anyone to even notice. Really, the list of famous female drummers is very short, much like lead guitarists. And hopefully that gets more young ladies to consider drums as an instrument.

Sadly if you read the comments section on any of her videos, she does attract a lot of attention from a section of male fans which to me is pretty disgusting.

All of this.

The other female drummer I've watched is Lux Drummerette. I've watched more of her videos actually, since she does more covers I like. Learned to play a couple of songs with help from her vids.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
I just checked her out for the first time today after seeing this thread. The "Jagger" song linked below was very good, but I checked out Tom Sawyer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFJbSzhovk - it was not good, it was not played correctly and the feel is off.

She's good but that's about it - the smiles and wind blowing through her hair in this video was very off-putting and just plain tacky. I don't think she's attractive but that's just me. I appreciate all drummers who have the right intentions - I don't really get that from this person.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The other female drummer I've watched is Lux Drummerette. I've watched more of her videos actually, since she does more covers I like. Learned to play a couple of songs with help from her vids.

That is the name I was looking for!

I have generally had more respect for Lux, since she's been out there playing in original bands, and even touring. Her playing is pretty solid in all her videos.

That said, as much I think Meytal's covers have been fairly weak, her playing in her new original band is pretty solid. Like most people, she's gotten better with time. However, her earlier playing is still out there online.

As for the look aspect, well, when these women post pictures on themselves in lingerie, bathing suits, or such, well, they clearly know what they're doing.

Regardless, Meytal is great at marketing. She's not just sitting there looking pretty, she's putting a ton of work into her marketing and getting her name out there.

Macarina

Silver Member
What I get out watching Meytal are some of things some folks are crapping on. Her effortless playing inspired me to play differently than I have. Many times learning a new song, I am playing way more intense than necessary. I often catch myself reading into it more than it is. Relax... play the beats.

As far as her smiling... what is the problem folks? Good gawd. I have never understood that typical, badass grimace a lot of artists put out there. What is that? Image? Don't think so. Give me a smile and let me know you love your art.