Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

JUZZI

In one of her old posts (I can remember if it was a live or facebook post) she stated that the way she learns the songs is by selecting portions of the song and playing along them until she gets them perfect, then adding the next part (something like 20 sec at a time) until she completes the entire song, she then plays along the track multiple times until she has completed the song with all perfect takes ( therefore there are NO mistakes in her videos). I have seen a very old video of her playing Judith ( A perfect circle) where her friend Jenn is holding the camera so there are no extra takes and no extra cameras, and she does play the entire song correctly note for note. Anybody can learn most music that way which is why you see 9 year olds nailing hard stuff... When you can correct mistakes via editing, then anybody can play perfect.
All that said, she has played some hard parts and played them correctly. Even if she was just faking it, you have to know what you are doing to look that convincing. Now those that say someone is the best are biased by how well known or popular someone may be (all those Peart fans out there) is he the best? not IMO but he was great at what he did, to me the best drummer is like the most beautiful girl.. what I like is going to be different from what others like so it's on the eye of the beholder...

Whether she can play a full song on camera in one take or not doesn't prove her worth, she can still nail those sections at the end of the day.

doggyd69b

I guess my comment may have been misunderstood. What I meant to say is that I have seen her play songs in one take with no edits and she can nail the parts just fine. I don't think she is the best but she is very good when compared to most people.
And to be making a living on covers from YouTube, we can't knock that, a lot of people would if they could.
I like my life the way it is so I don't care if I make money with music or not. I just don't want playing to become a chore and lose interest.

Whether she can play a full song on camera in one take or not doesn't prove her worth, she can still nail those sections at the end of the day.
[/QUOTE

doggyd69b

At the end of the day, she is making a living doing what she loves, she has managed to stay relevant and released two original albums with donations from fans, how many of us can say we have accomplished that?

too right, this is the problem female musicians have to face - constant judgment

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I'll keep my comments non-sexist and gender neutral. Does she play with a band and gig, or just record herself playing with pre-recorded songs? There's a big difference between grooving with a live band on-stage, staying in the pocket and knowing when to come out of pocket, fills, choosing right cymbal for backing solos, and making changes spontaneously when the band does something totally unrehearsed live n stage. My take: lots of unwarranted narcissism in Meytal's FB page. So what? Doesn't amount to anything lasting or contributing to the musical canon.

JUZZI

I'll keep my comments non-sexist and gender neutral. Does she play with a band and gig, or just record herself playing with pre-recorded songs? There's a big difference between grooving with a live band on-stage, staying in the pocket and knowing when to come out of pocket, fills, choosing right cymbal for backing solos, and making changes spontaneously when the band does something totally unrehearsed live n stage. My take: lots of unwarranted narcissism in Meytal's FB page. So what? Doesn't amount to anything lasting or contributing to the musical canon.
To answer your question before her success, she toured around the world with 'moby chick' a female led zep group, and some other band. Since her tube channel she has also toured stadiums with her own self titled band 'Meytal' and with them produced two albums of original material. There are other covers of her playing in full and footage of her holding drum clinics and playthroughs on drum channel and drumeo. She's not just some bedroom drummer.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Thanks for that trivia on Moby Chick, Juzzi. I Googled them and can't find much info on their "World Tour" or even the members. YouTube videos and such, but hey my band has YouTube and Facebook videos. Lots of hits on Moby Chicks, but we don't wanna go there. Unwarranted narcissism I stand by my statement.

JUZZI

Thanks for that trivia on Moby Chick, Juzzi. I Googled them and can't find much info on their "World Tour" or even the members. YouTube videos and such, but hey my band has YouTube and Facebook videos. Lots of hits on Moby Chicks, but we don't wanna go there. Unwarranted narcissism I stand by my statement.
it's on Wikipedia ;-) it wouldn't be documented no as it was before she found fame. Unwarrented narcissm along with many other celebrites facebook social media to be fair - thats what facebook is for. However her platform you should really be judging is her youtube account? Nothing but covers with the odd behind the scenes footage. No unwarrented narcissm there.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well Meytal has a 12 page thread-and going on DW. So that says a lot-she's popular LOL. I'm surprised her Wikipedia article hasn't been deleted by editors for issues with "Notability" (popularity is secondary but contributions- which she only has one album), lack of NPOV, etc. It's written like an ad and it's suppose to have criticisms as well-to be neutral. I can think of hundreds of living scientist making huge contributions that have no Wikipedia article (they tried but we editors nailed on policy), and lots of extremely popular people that have no article-so making a contribution or being popular alone aren't enough apparently (yeah seems like a thin line). But I support drumming-drummers stuff on Wikipedia so I won't mark for deletion-because I'm fighting the same thing on other articles that editors question validity. And now I wish I hadn't balked at all the scientist trying to have their own articles and allowed them. Cause now with all these article about artist or popular figures-who shouldn't be in Wikipedia but remain, and it would be nice to see more scientist represented with inappropriate articles like Meytals. Some of my mentors should have an article for decades of contributions in numerous fields, honorary awards, books, hundreds of publications, served as chairmans, institute head, chancellors, and numerous awards for excellence, produced numerous outstanding researchers who went on to make their own record. I think I'm going to start addressing that. I know two of mentors are noble class scientists (that's what they where hired -not every noble class scientist ever win a noble prize) so I'm going with that. Sorry for the rant, but I just got back to wikipedia after a five year hiatus of being sick of the crap.

Last edited: