Mexican DWs?

jdorf12

Hey all,
I’ve had a great DW kit for a few years now, little jazz set. But, I know very little about it. I bought it used off of Craigslist. The badges are silver ovals, with ”Drum Workshop” written out in full, as opposed to the ”DW” badges. They also say they are made in Mexico, but they used the normal DW tower lugs. They aren’t PDP, which I understand are always Mexican made. So, are they just some kind of PDP precursors? or was DW’s normal line ever made in Mexico?
Any help would be appreciated...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've seen alot of PDP kits, and even these Drum Workshop series kits as well and other than the line being in made in Mexico for a lower cost, I haven't really seen any glaring quality issues. I've been impressed with with those lines. They sound great.

areFish

Silver Member
They are called Workshop Series. They were a production kit (non-custom) with limited finishes and shell sizes. Great kits from the feedback I've read on them.

bobacwrd

Those are the "Drum Workshop" series. Made in Ensanada Mex prior to the PDP brand.
The Workshop Series were never made in Ensenada. They were in fact made in the good 'ol US of A in the Newbury Park facility. They were made from USA made Keller shells.

Doug Masters

Silver Member
The Workshop Series were never made in Ensenada. They were in fact made in the good 'ol US of A in the Newbury Park facility. They were made from USA made Keller shells.
You sure? I have a workshop series snare that says it was made it mexico. Its metal...maybe the wood drums were made in Cali?

bobacwrd

You sure? I have a workshop series snare that says it was made it mexico. Its metal...maybe the wood drums were made in Cali?
I can't answer to the "Workshop Series" Snares, but the Workshop series drums were most certainly made in the USA. I will attach a picture of the badge from a Workshop Series set later (after I resize) so you look closely you can see the badge reads "Made in USA"

Doug Masters

Silver Member
I can't answer to the "Workshop Series" Snares, but the Workshop series drums were most certainly made in the USA. I will attach a picture of the badge from a Workshop Series set later (after I resize) so you look closely you can see the badge reads "Made in USA"
I don't need proof. I wasn't arguing I just don't know the answer. No worries.

bobacwrd

I don't need proof. I wasn't arguing I just don't know the answer. No worries.
OK, cool. I had a long post on this very series on this blog about 2 years ago. Maybe if you do a search you can find it if you want to read more about this series.

areFish

Silver Member
The OP from This Thread posts some email correspondence from DW. It indicates the Workshop Series were made in MX.

I seem to remember reading (could be wrong) they were USA made then moved to MX. Opposite of the Performance Series that was made in MX and moved to the USA.

bobacwrd

The OP from This Thread posts some email correspondence from DW. It indicates the Workshop Series were made in MX.

I seem to remember reading (could be wrong) they were USA made then moved to MX. Opposite of the Performance Series that was made in MX and moved to the USA.
The Workshop series were made in the USA before PDP was even an official line that DW offered. They were the precursor to what would eventually lead DW into producing the PDP line.
The Workshop series was DW's way of producing a mid-level set with limited finishes and drum sizes. The Workshop series was well received and started to cut into sales of DW's Flagship line so they were discontinued only to resurface as the PDP line with far less in material quality and manufactured outside the U.S. with cheaper labor and less hands on fabrication utilizing more automated machinery to produce the products.