Metronomes!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I use a metronome app with in-ear monitors for personal use. I don't have custom ear molds, so my drums still get plenty of bleed-through. For live applications, I used to use the Boss DB-90 with a foot switch. All you have to do is turn the jogwheel to your BPM, and hit the foot switch and you're off to the races. I put my switch right beside kick drum pedal. I never accidentally hit it, and it made stopping and starting the click so much easier. You don't have to look over to the side and try to hit a button. You just tap your foot and your good to go.

This thread reminded me of Jason Bittner's drum solo back in 2005. Love how he used a metronome in his solo...and I don't even LIKE drum solos anymore.

Starts at 1:28:

johnwesley

Silver Member
They're like metrosexuals. All decked out with the "look at me" persona and just sit around the garden swatting flies. Some hold baseball size rings to tie your horse to.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I've lost track of my mid-80s Dr. Beat-- it's in a box somewhere. Now I just use whatever crappy freeware app is convenient. All I need is something that will give me a straight pulse below 40 bpm.

grparty

Polynome looks cool.

My favorite metronome app is Time Guru. The streamlined interface makes it easy to use as a basic click. If you want to be clever, it’s also quick to set up clicks that reflect odd meter/groupings, changing subdivisions, silent beats/bars, etc...Intuitive to use after a few minutes of messing around.

I used to own a Boss DR-770, which I used often to create bass loops, but I lost the power supply in a move and haven’t been able to justify replacing it, what with all the apps available now.

wraub

I finally found a Tama Rhythm Watch in stock somewhere, ordered it, and it got here today. I picked it for ease of use, functions I'm likely to use vs. ones I'm not, and the fact that I hate apps on my phone and try to use it for as little as possible.

My thanks to all for their contributions on this thread.
I'm off to practice. :)

chloedecker2013

What's yours?

I've been using the one I've used for ever as a bass player, but it's basically insufficient for use with drums. It's mostly okay with a pad, but, I want better. :)

Looking at the Tama Rhythm Watch for japanese plushies, but here open to suggestions.

What are you using? Dedicated met, app on a device, or...?

Thanks, all.
I use the online metronomes that I find on internet.

NouveauCliche

To those using their phones for metronomes - you should take a loot at Synkd in addition:

It really evolves what a metronome can be - it allows some wonderful odd time and rhythm structure studies - polyrhthms, etc. - and there are pre-packaged studies from people like Anika Niles, etc. that are a real mind stretch. Stickings and subdivisions galore - amazing little tool.

Here's a great little video about it because I'm sure I"m not doing it justice haha:

Spreggy

Silver Member
My local GC is out of stock on the Rhythm Watch (RW200), so looking elsewhere... in doing so, I am seeing reviews stating it is prone to failures.
Anybody support or refute this? I note they recently "improved" the model, is this an issue?
Mine has worked flawlessly for years.