Metronomes!

wraub

What's yours?

I've been using the one I've used for ever as a bass player, but it's basically insufficient for use with drums. It's mostly okay with a pad, but, I want better. :)

Looking at the Tama Rhythm Watch, but open to suggestions.

What are you using? Dedicated met, app on a device, or...?

Thanks, all.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I use the online metronomes that I find on internet. I plug the sound output from the speaker jack into a bass amplifier so I can hear it louder.

brentcn

Platinum Member
I have a DB 90 and a DB 88, and they're the best out there as far as hardware metronomes go. I use them for kit practice, gigs (where needed), and teaching. But, the Tama Rhythm Watch is just as good, and a less expensive. I went with the DB because I prefer their click sounds. But the Tama I think has some nice sounds, too. I'm not fond of high-pitched "beeps" -- I'd rather have a low wood block, or MPC type of sound.

For pad work, I use the Tempo app on the phone. The SoundBrenner app is pretty nice, too.

I should add that the hardware metronomes go through batteries really fast. You probably won't make it through a gig. So plan on having it plugged in.

Benthedrummer

I use METRONOME BEAT PRO app.

I've got it on my phone, tablet and other phone.

It's got a ton of sounds, the tempo trainer is awesome......I can program it to speed up and slow down.

It's really cheap for the pro version, just a few bucks.

Ghostin one

I use the DB 30. The "high-pitched beeps" that Brentcn mentioned are the only problem I've had. I love having clave or shuffle patterns, etc.

When I get tired of beeps, I use an old school quartz metronome that's more of a click sound, but the steps between tempos don't cover everything, and it's almost impossible to read the dial... but it refuses to die.

I keep thinking of getting an old Alesis HR drum machine and using that instead.

rstange1

I've been using a DB-88 since the '90s. Love it. We have a DB-90 at church for when we play to a click. I like that on either the DB-88 or the DB-90 you can program in different tempos and time signatures and cycle between them quickly -- especially important for minimal down-time between tunes when performing live. Also the DB-90 has a midi-input which one of our keyboard players takes advantage of to synch the click with his funky rhythmic pad intros.

IBitePrettyHard

I've been using Tama Rhythm Watches for over 25 years. I have 3 of them. My first one broke down after 12-15 years of heavy use. I used the 2nd one heavily for over a decade (and it still works) but the tempo knob is a little glitchy now.

Then about 4 months ago I found a Rhythm Watch on FB Marketplace for $20. Yoink! I've been using that one almost every day since.

Here's 2 of them. All 3 of mine are the older models. They've since been upgraded with a few additional features.

For decades everyone's said that the DrBeat DB-88 (now the DB-90) is "the best"...but it was so expensive (and it still is). Besides it has features I'd never use. The Rhythm Watch has everything I want. I'll buy a 4th one in another 20 years, I like them that much.

That being said, there are some killer metronome apps with some cool features, and they're only a fraction of the cost. I'm sticking with the RW though because I don't like using my phone more than I have to because of battery degradation.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I have a Tama rhythm watch, that I used to use but it was replaced by apps on my phone and Kindle fire. The one on my Fire was a couple bucks, and if the Fire gets damaged playing live it was only $30-40, compared to the cost of a cellphone.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I use the pro metronome app. I have all of our songs stored on it so I use it as a set list also I just arrange the songs in the order that they're going to be played. I have it clamped to my hi-hat stand with a clamp-on phone holder with a small headphone amp one channel gets my monitor mix from the band and the other channel has my click in it. I use wired earbuds

Griener

If you do own an iPhone or iPad, I highly recommend getting Polynome by Joe Crabtree.
It's the most sophisticated metronome app I know.
It took me a while to really get to know all the possibilities, but they're endless.
It's a big part of my daily practice routine and it helps me tremendously.
You could even let it play Zappa's Black Page:

I have an old Rhyhm Watch (RW 100) that I bought used for about $25. It's pretty loud and easy to use without headphones or a PA. Those apps seem very interesting, though.

I've been using Tama Rhythm Watches for over 25 years. I have 3 of them. My first one broke down after 12-15 years of heavy use. I used the 2nd one heavily for over a decade (and it still works) but the tempo knob is a little glitchy now.

Then about 4 months ago I found a Rhythm Watch on FB Marketplace for $20. Yoink! I've been using that one almost every day since.

Here's 2 of them. All 3 of mine are the older models. They've since been upgraded with a few additional features.

For decades everyone's said that the DrBeat DB-88 (now the DB-90) is "the best"...but it was so expensive (and it still is). Besides it has features I'd never use. The Rhythm Watch has everything I want. I'll buy a 4th one in another 20 years, I like them that much.

That being said, there are some killer metronome apps with some cool features, and they're only a fraction of the cost. I'm sticking with the RW though because I don't like using my phone more than I have to because of battery degradation.
Have had my Rhythm Watch for about fifteen years. Couldn't agree more.

Spreggy

Silver Member

And they mount easily too! Love this thing.

20200606_135217.jpg

wraub

My local GC is out of stock on the Rhythm Watch (RW200), so looking elsewhere... in doing so, I am seeing reviews stating it is prone to failures.
Anybody support or refute this? I note they recently "improved" the model, is this an issue?