metronomes & storing tempos

lefty2

Platinum Member
My band wants to start using a metronome. I have 2 physical, and 1 app. I'm looking for one that I can store all our tempos as song titles in the order of the song list. That way I can just put the tempos in order and click to the next tempo when the song is over. When I've used one in the past I had to turn the dial to the correct tempo between each song, and sometimes it was very difficult see the # on the dial. Do any of you know of one like I'm looking for? The app I have now will store the tempos, but will not change the tempo unless you scroll it physically. So it will store the songs and tempos in the order that I want, but I still have to scroll it myself. I'd like one that I can tap on the song, and it will automatically change tempo.

What type of device are you putting it on, or are you looking for a stand alone unit?

The Tama Rhythm Watch allows you to store song tempos, but the one I have (1st gen.) Has no "back" button. So if you hit the "next" button twice you can't go back & have to go through all the programmed tempos (20 of them).
I have the Pro metronome for android, and it allows you to save set lists, and to go to the next song you just touch it on the set list. The downside is that it's on your phone, and have to turn on airplane mode so there isn't any lag due to background apps doing things.
What I use now is a Kindle Fire with an app called metronome beats pro. It allows you to save song tempos, and make set lists which allow you to scroll back and forth in the list. I always have the wifi turned off when using it at my studio. The Kindle was $30-40 when I got it, so if something happens to it, I'm not out the cost of a cellphone. The Kindles go on sale during the holidays, so take a look at them as an option.

I have used an iphone app called Tempo that lets you save set lists.

What are you using so everyone can hear it?

might be worth your time and effort to use a computer-based system like Ableton Live - even if you aren't using backtracks.

Thank you for your replies. The only one that will be hearing it will be me I'm planning on using it live. I didn't realize the Kindle Fire and things like that were so inexpensive. I think that might be something that I should get. The rest of the band is using iPads or something of that nature for set lists and notes. I'm still using paper and ink LOL.

The fire is the way to go for me. I'm the only one that hears it in the band, and if it gets broken or lost its not too big a deal. I think it was $40 last Christmas, so they should be going on sale soon.

Is that a Kindle Fire?. My wife has a Nook I think if we can find it LOL is that a possibility? I checked with my band today and they're all using iPads. This is a big jump for me cuz I'm technology-challenged

I downloaded the drummer's metronome app for my phone. Have been messing with it tonight I think it'll work good as long as my phone works good. I'm still going to look into getting a pad iPad or something

I have used an iphone app called Tempo that lets you save set lists.

Tempo is made by Frozen Ape. I've used it for years, and really appreciate how I could build a set list. I was in three bands when this app came out, and it became an invaluable part of my rehearsal schedule. I used it on iPhone at the time, and now use it on my Samsung phone.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did a review of this product years ago, writing about how amazing this app was [and still is], after having purchased it. The company read my review, and subsequently sent me a free download for one of their other products.

Tempo is made by Frozen Ape. I've used it for years, and really appreciate how I could build a set list. I was in three bands when this app came out, and it became an invaluable part of my rehearsal schedule. I used it on iPhone at the time, and now use it on my Samsung phone.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did a review of this product years ago, writing about how amazing this app was [and still is], after having purchased it. The company read my review, and subsequently sent me a free download for one of their other products.

wow that's pretty cool that they recognized and appreciated your review. I have an inexpensive Samsung phone probably the cheapest Galaxy they make. I probably should upgrade my phone also. I'll have to check out tempo thanks

I put BPMs on the setlist, and I just use a metronome with a dial so I can dial up the tempos quickly between songs. Foolproof! Even if you cut to another song mid-set. It's a Tama RW-30 I think.

Just a thought. Do you own an iPhone (or android I’m assuming works too). I’ve programmed this metronome app for tons of songs. Has a stage mode too

B6579C75-99E6-4937-827B-00BA23644460.jpeg

I put BPMs on the setlist, and I just use a metronome with a dial so I can dial up the tempos quickly between songs. Foolproof! Even if you cut to another song mid-set. It's a Tama RW-30 I think.

That's what I used in the past and there are many times when you can't see very well, and I don't have time to mess with a dial. I want to just click the next song and we're off and going with one touch.

That air pedal must be what are bass player uses. He has an iPad and changes screens with the pedal. there's another Plus for the iPad that I hadn't thought about. maybe I should ask for an iPad for Christmas LOL

That's what I used in the past and there are many times when you can't see very well, and I don't have time to mess with a dial. I want to just click the next song and we're off and going with one touch.

A fair point, and that's why I also use one of those flexy book-light thingies, so I can always see the setlist!

Point taken about the fast change though. Maybe I'm just too lazy to program the tempos in advance...

Back