Metronome

SwissArmy

I was recently told by my teacher that using a metronome all the time when you practice is not good because then it will be like a crutch or you wont be able to keep good time without it. Any opinions on this?

I was recently told by my teacher that using a metronome all the time when you practice is not good because then it will be like a crutch or you wont be able to keep good time without it. Any opinions on this?

I believe very strongly that you should learn to play to metronomes, click tracks, and drum machine tracks to build time and to learn how to do it when it comes time to have to do it for real. It's a very important skill to have when recording (and in certain live situations).

But I also feel that you should be strong enough a timekeeper to step away from the click and drive the band by yourself. After all, do you necessarily count off every song? In my band, I know I don't - many songs start with a guitar riff, keyboard intro, or the bandleader counting us in. In that case, I need to be able to grab hold of the time put forth and enforce it to whatever the band's standard is (Rolling Stones fluid or Depeche Mode programmed).

Practice with it enough to not need it all the time, but practice with it enough to be able to use it properly... whatever that is to you.

I sit down every night and set the metronome to a random tempo. This has improved my feel dramatically, and I have no trouble playing without one. I can't just start playing "80 bpm" off the top of my head, but if I have a click I can play to it. There are people out there who can, though.

I find it's a lot easier to actually establish a groove when you have a band to play with and you have some reference for time, other than just yourself.

This is something i've been thinking about too. I play with a church band and the leader always tells me to use a metronome when i practice. I've been drumming for about 6 years (only in church and few events). I've never really been into all the different aspects of drumming till recently. i always just played what was in front of me. and during all that time, i did struggle with tempo. but only ppl with a good musical ear could pick it up and tell me i was slowing down or speeding up. most of my friends that i played with who are around my level (at their own instruments) would just follow whatever tempo i was playing at and had no problems. But i'd say playing with one is definitely helpful. then again.... i haven't yet hahaha

I bought a little Korg metronome after reading comments from people on here.At first it is hard to play along to the machine because it is so regular but when you get used to it your notes will be much more evenly spaced out and the overall sound is better.
I would say that everybody should try a click at least a few times and maybe practice along to one from time to time. My drumming generally improved a lot just after a few sessions with the click and I have been having a lot of fun playing along to various speeds and using the multiple note function to improve my timing.
The click takes the stress out of keeping time and leaves you free to think about other things like sticking patterns. You can play before the click, in between the click or after the click. Or even spot on the the click! There is lots of scope for creativity here, it's not a tool for fools.

Back