Metalcore drum fill

Bergy

Hi guys, i just registered today.
i was wondering if someone could explain to me how to perform the metalcore fill in jareds video. I can do the metalcore for beginner?‍♂️ tried searching on here or other site and youtube couldnt find it. Thanks

Attachments

• FDFBBBE8-30C5-4D63-B87D-A4A37312548B.png
    FDFBBBE8-30C5-4D63-B87D-A4A37312548B.png
    716.8 KB · Views: 26
Hahahaha OMFG hahahaha Jared Dines hahahaha ?????

Now thats out of the way, Jared Dines is not someone who should be looked at for quality drumming guidance. Seek out an actual drummer (even better, get a teacher), not a self promoting YouTube market machine that quits the band because they want to tour. He is a look how cool I am guy, not a here's how you do it correctly guy.

Dont worry about learning fills. Learn rudiments then apply them to the toms. You now have an infinite number of creative fills, not 10 fills you keep repeating because that's all you know.

Drumming is like a language. If you only learn 10 words, you don't speak the language at all. Learn the fundamentals, and you can begin to converse without even thinking about it. It becomes natural, not programmed.

Jared Dines, never ever thought I would see his name on DW.

Hahahaha OMFG hahahaha Jared Dines hahahaha ?????

Now thats out of the way, Jared Dines is not someone who should be looked at for quality drumming guidance. Seek out an actual drummer (even better, get a teacher), not a self promoting YouTube market machine that quits the band because they want to tour. He is a look how cool I am guy, not a here's how you do it correctly guy.

Dont worry about learning fills. Learn rudiments then apply them to the toms. You now have an infinite number of creative fills, not 10 fills you keep repeating because that's all you know.

Drumming is like a language. If you only learn 10 words, you don't speak the language at all. Learn the fundamentals, and you can begin to converse without even thinking about it. It becomes natural, not programmed.

Jared Dines, never ever thought I would see his name on DW.

Thanks for the input haha now feel a bit stupid thinking of removing thread before i get bashed hahaha well i was self learned and now 34. I just play for fun.. at 14, i listened to nirvana and played all their songs. Never actually leveled up after seperatins bass drum from hi hats. And i happened to stumble on jared and found this pretty cool. I know i wont ever get to professional or male a living out of it anyway i just look up youtubes videos for little techniques like that that will get me going for a bit longer on my what so called journey ? i also seen luke holland(if hes amy good haha)use that fill in the latest jareds band performing sucker... have a good day ?

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with his videos. He isn't really teaching you anything though.

Watch this. It's the 40 PAS rudiments. It gives the sticking patterns and shows how each one is played. You don't have to learn them all. They don't just have to be on the snare. Moving them around the kit is how you develop fills.

Nice very interesting. I was more of a stubborn and still am i should say. I never knew every pattern/roll/fills are 2 left and 2 right in whatever combination. I always did LRLRLRL either faster or slower to complete anykind of patterns. I wish now that someone would have tought me earlier. Its like teaching an old monkey how to eat a banana the right way ? i always went by ear the harder way i guess knowing this before would of made my skills go up way faster. Oh well never to late to learn ?‍♂️ So i guess it would be the five stroke roll but using the bass drum at the end

Good to see a musician making fun of another musician because they don't like them. Shows real maturity.

The fill you are talking about is played as 16th note triplets, 4 on the hands (RLRL) followed by 2 on the feet, and then the snare and China together on the '4'. It's often referred to as "Portnoy"-style fill as Mike Portnoy considers this sort of fill to be part of his 'toolbox' and he does variations of this quite a lot.

So it would be played as follows:

RLRLBB RLRLBB RLRLBB S
.....................C
1..... 2..... 3..... 4.....

It's an important pattern to learn, especially if you're playing rock or metal. Experiment with other combinations as well, 2 on the hands, 2 on the feet, mess around with groupings of 2, 4 and 6, and then when you're comfortable you can play around with odd groupings too.

Good to see a musician making fun of another musician because they don't like them.

He is a guitar player. He gets into Djent battles with Stevie T. and plays like a 17 string guitar or something like that. His videos are entertaining, but they aren't for teaching. They are for entertainment. You will find his name on DW nowhere else but this thread. Maybe if you watched his channel you would understand the hilarity. And oh yeah, I never said I didn't like him.

Seriously, quitting a band because it will disrupt your YouTube channel if they tour should be enough of a hint.

Here is his channel. Maybe you can take him seriously, I can't. I'd be interested to see what others think.

I am very familiar with Jared Dines, and despite the fact that he is primarily a guitar player he can still play drums reasonably well. Dismissing someone based on a presumption (note that the video in question was actually teaching ideas for basic fills, I had seen it before).

he can still play drums reasonably well.

That doesn't qualify him to teach anything drum related. If it did, I should teach guitar. After all, I own 3 of them, have a book of scales and know some chords. I am "reasonably" good at playing guitar.

Dismissing someone based on a presumption (note that the video in question was actually teaching ideas for basic fills, I had seen it before).

I presume nothing. Again, I find his videos entertaining, i.e. I WATCH THEM. For entertainment. Nothing more.

Everyone knows you don't memorize fills or you will be stuck with only those fills you memorize. That concept right there is a red flag. If you notice, I presented the OP with a video of rudiments, the correct way to create fills. Notice I said create. You don't learn fills, you create them.

This might blow your mind, but you can both create AND memorise things.

I too watch his videos for entertainment, but yes it was indeed a presumption - even if it's completely justifiable. It was one of his few drumming-related videos (probably the only one) that wasn't just joking around. I explained the fill to the OP, gave him a few ideas to work on. Simple. 2 minutes maximal effort.

This doesn't negate what you've said about using rudiments and creating, by the way. It's possible for more than one thing to be correct, although I know saying that on this forum is tantamount to heresy.

This might blow your mind, but you can both create AND memorise things

Totally agree. There is also a mindset that fills are learned, like there is a book of fills somewhere. Have to do this, have to do that. That is simply not the case. I feel like learning fills ahead of time is a bad idea. Unless it's in a song you are learning. Then by all means, learn it.

I too watch his videos for entertainment, but yes it was indeed a presumption - even if it's completely justifiable. It was one of his few drumming-related videos (probably the only one) that wasn't just joking around. I explained the fill to the OP, gave him a few ideas to work on. Simple. 2 minutes maximal effort.

If someone learns something that's fantastic. I just can't help but not take him seriously though. Maybe I've watched too much.

It's possible for more than one thing to be correct, although I know saying that on this forum is tantamount to heresy.

Yeah there's a bit of that around here.

Good to see a musician making fun of another musician because they don't like them. Shows real maturity.

The fill you are talking about is played as 16th note triplets, 4 on the hands (RLRL) followed by 2 on the feet, and then the snare and China together on the '4'. It's often referred to as "Portnoy"-style fill as Mike Portnoy considers this sort of fill to be part of his 'toolbox' and he does variations of this quite a lot.

So it would be played as follows:

RLRLBB RLRLBB RLRLBB S
.....................C
1..... 2..... 3..... 4.....

It's an important pattern to learn, especially if you're playing rock or metal. Experiment with other combinations as well, 2 on the hands, 2 on the feet, mess around with groupings of 2, 4 and 6, and then when you're comfortable you can play around with odd groupings too.

Awesome man thank you. I wasnt making fun of anyone. Found jared entertaning if anything. Anyway thats what i thought in the first place just my speed and especially my timing isnt on point to sound as good as this.

I see a lot of pattern video i am confused a bit on when it should be LLRRKK instead of RLRLKK. I always did alternate for every thing i played but i seen youtube teachers explaining LLRR

All good mate, my comment wasn't directed at you!

As far as the actual sticking (whether double or single strokes), don't be afraid to experiment and come up with your own ideas. A great book to give you some 'tools' to develop this is Sticking Patterns by Gary Chaffee.

But a good rule of thumb when it comes to "straightforward" metal and rock fills is everything powerful is played as single strokes.

If you want to see a metal drummer doing stuff that's completely different, or taking basic concepts and making them just sound amazing, check out Blake Richardson (Between the Buried and Me). I've been working through his transcription book for the album Coma Ecliptic to try and get inside his head and figure out how he does what he does.

If you want a good starting point, there are a few good videos of him playing their songs Blot, Voice of Trespass, Famine Wolf, and King Redeem, Queen Serene - check them out. Could easily be a bit overwhelming at first but definitely check him out and it'll probably change your perspective of what you can do musically!

As far as speed and soon - good old faithful start slow, play it right. Speed and timing will come with correct practice and endurance, not tension and "forced" playing.

If you find a quarter note click is too difficult to work with, don't be afraid to use a 1/8th or even faster click to get timing right. Download MuseScore (it's free) and use it to transcribe what you want to play - make it repeat 200 times or so and play in time with it. Things like that can help you really nail timing for parts and get used to playing them or discovered when you're not actually playing in time.

All good mate, my comment wasn't directed at you!

As far as the actual sticking (whether double or single strokes), don't be afraid to experiment and come up with your own ideas. A great book to give you some 'tools' to develop this is Sticking Patterns by Gary Chaffee.

But a good rule of thumb when it comes to "straightforward" metal and rock fills is everything powerful is played as single strokes.

If you want to see a metal drummer doing stuff that's completely different, or taking basic concepts and making them just sound amazing, check out Blake Richardson (Between the Buried and Me). I've been working through his transcription book for the album Coma Ecliptic to try and get inside his head and figure out how he does what he does.

If you want a good starting point, there are a few good videos of him playing their songs Blot, Voice of Trespass, Famine Wolf, and King Redeem, Queen Serene - check them out. Could easily be a bit overwhelming at first but definitely check him out and it'll probably change your perspective of what you can do musically!

Yes ok thats what i have seen and it makes sence now, doubles is for more technical stuff.
And by the way thank you for the help ?
I found garys book online and downloaded it. Didnt think it wad that old but seems to be doing the trick !
I am going off track from my original post but you are helping a lot already, might as well try for another one haha
Here are two fist pages of his book.
it goes lrll rlrr and so on. In second photo, how doi know if its starts by the R or the L??
I dont know how to read druM tabs.
I also looked up blake richardson, sound like a mix of rush and slipknot or something. Pretty cool smooth drum fills there, like that style !
I used to play every nirvana songs like mentionned higher. Learned how to separate my bass drum froM the high hat with negative creep damn 20years ago already shit im 34 now

Attachments

• A827C3E8-1C74-4CC1-9085-F5DD842E307A.jpeg
    A827C3E8-1C74-4CC1-9085-F5DD842E307A.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 7
  • C39247C0-AFEC-4550-A22C-710605D2E7D2.jpeg
    C39247C0-AFEC-4550-A22C-710605D2E7D2.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, it's a great book! I have one of the more modern printed copies but I've seen Pete Drummond's copy which is the handwritten one!

With the second page, you can start the exercise leading either right or left-handed. I recommend practicing both ways.

You can determine the sticking based on where the accents are and based on the group of exercises, e.g., if you see one accent followed by four unaccented notes, you know the pattern is Rllrr or Lrrll. Does that make sense?

Back