Metal appreciation thread

Here's Gene Hoglan with Strapping Young Lad - very few metal drummers can do what he did in this song: he made it swing and put ridiculously fast and accurate triplet 16th double bass in it - listen to the whole thing, it's worth it.

Also, besides MrInsanePolack, you also know another metal drummer - me - here is a play-through from the original video I did with my band last year which is doing really well (we are opening for Ratt this Friday which makes no sense genre-wise lol).

The ending of this song is interesting as I'm doing broken 32nd notes with both feet and left hand.

Great grooves and really creative playing on a very different set up. Vlad Ulasevich from Jinjer.

Can anyone tell me what those beaters are? You get a good look at 2:12
Vaters maybe?

Last edited:

Opps, someone beat me to it, but I've been listening to Jinjer a lot lately.
Their drummer, Vlad Ulasevich plays a very unique set up with no rack toms upfront, all his cymbals very low and tilted away from him, and he is completely ambidextrous. I love how he can grom from agro to jazzy, and back.

I've seen them twice, and have a ticket to see them again in September.

Opps, someone beat me to it, but I've been listening to Jinjer a lot lately.
Their drummer, Vlad Ulasevich plays a very unique set up with no rack toms upfront, all his cymbals very low and tilted away from him, and he is completely ambidextrous. I love how he can grom from agro to jazzy, and back.

I've seen them twice, and have a ticket to see them again in September.

Vlad is rad! I really dig his creativity and what he brings to their songs. Got my tickets too!

One thing I find really cool about most of these drummers is they aren't spring chickens. Metal isn't just a young man's game. And it just goes to show that with drums age is only a number, not a limitation.

One thing I find really cool about most of these drummers is they aren't spring chickens. Metal isn't just a young man's game. And it just goes to show that with drums age is only a number, not a limitation.

I started practicing seriously at 30 years old. Two years later I'm doing blast beats at 190 consistently. 240 is a couple of years away, when I'm 36! (hopefully)

I'll play. I was going to post Gene Hoglan, but someone beat me to it. Here's an up and coming metal drummer - Mario DuPlantier of Gojira.

Here's 66samus, he posts a lot of drum covers on youtube, but he is a monster!

Last edited:
And while he's not been in a metal band in some time, if you were into metal drumming in the late 80's/early 90's, then you studied what Deen Castronovo was doing at the time,

Check out his playing on Marty Friedman's "Dragon's Kiss" album. The mix is awful but the drumming is really good.

Last edited:
Check out his playing on Marty Friedman's "Dragon's Kiss" album. The mix is awful but the drumming is really good.
I used to have that album until all my cassettes got worn out.

I used to mail order all of sorts of albums Deen played on in that era. Most of them weren't all that good, but the drumming was always amazing.

Back