Metal and Hard Rock Drummers Who Use Single Kick Pedals

bud7h4

Silver Member
Double bass is no longer exclusive to thrash and death metal (i.e. speed). Now more than ever double bass is being used to play groove oriented metal.
 

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Well-known member
I've been working hard over the last year or two to get my double kick going. I think you have to find the balance. When your new at it (like myself) it's tempting to throw it at everything when having some hi-hat detail would sound cooler. At the same time, there are linear fills and stuff that can't really be matched without the double pedal. Plus the continuous 16th thing which is perfect sometimes and when used in moderation.

The ideal IMO is to get proficient at going back and forth within a song to get the double going when needed but get back on the HH otherwise. I think of Neal Peart this way; great hi-hat stuff, then over to the double bass for fills and sections. Todd Sucherman appears to operate this way too.

BTW, I'm skeptical about the Derek Roddy as a non-double bass guy. I've watched Drumeo lessons of his that are all about fast double bass. I kind of thought that was his specialty.

Tim 'Herb" Alexander is in this camp as well....double bass when needed, bit mostly single

and I fancy myself about the same way...my running double bass chops are slowly improving, but I always used it more for groove accents, and fills

back in the 80's when all of my peers were learning the Reign In Blood album on double bass, I was developing hands stuff in marching band and corps...so I sort of missed that boat the first time. Started back up about 10 years ago because I felt "false" claiming to be a metal drummer and not being able to do double bass
 

s1212z

Well-known member
Matt Cameron is notable

I believe Zach first built his technique by emulating Herbs’ double kick on a single pedal and then took off from there both technically and artistically. I keep promoting him here, why he doesn’t get more attention is beyond me.

 

petrez

Senior Member
I started getting into double bass as soon as I got into the "world of metal", way too late by the way, during the late 90's/early 2000. I was born a decade to late (at least), when you consider I'm pretty much a die hard thrasher to this day :LOL: . Before that, I never knew that double bass was actually a thing. But I tried to emulate it as good as I could, playing only a single pedal and tried go through most of the Metallica tunes I knew (only heard the albums, never saw a live clip, and we didn't have MTV at the time). It stopped at a point though, and that's my very take on it. As soon as I saw a double pedal in a music store, I knew what I was saving up for. I guess some drummers have the dedication and ability to get close to the same speed on a single pedal. To me, it's just look like too much unneccesary work on one leg, when you have an option. I am no doctor by any means, but to reach the speed I like to do in my playing, it seems like doing that with one leg can't be all that good in the long run. Plus, two bassdrums just looks cooler, when playing metal, in my opinion. It just "feels" right. Sorry for not answering the question though.
 

A J

Well-known member
I tried to play double pedal many years ago. I never did catch on and went back to single. No big loss as 99% of what I play can be replicated just fine with one kick drum. For the remaining 1%, I have worked out some clever "cheats" that get me through the song without the average bar patron even noticing! :)
 
Top