Mel Lewis Gretsch Ad 1962

KONA

Silver Member
I have this photo somewhere in a drum magazine or maybe a Gretsch catalog. I was looking for some decent cymbals in 2007 when I bought a new Gretsch kit (Purewood African Mahogany 6pc). I settled on Istanbul Agop - no special reason. I was going to buy 4 cymbals and ended up at the Canadian distributor's home and walked away with 13. Included in the bunch were a pair of Mel Lewis Signature 14 Hats, an 18 Mel Lewis Signature Crash/Ride and a very nice Mel Lewis Signature 21" Sizzle Ride (the one with two rivets).
I'm very happy with all the cymbals.

opentune

Platinum Member
Interesting setup for the times. One almost never sees 4-piece setups with a ride cymbal front/center like his.

RickP

Gold Member
Great picture Scott, thanks for posting this.

I love Mel's drum and cymbal sound.
KONA - I own the Agop 21" Mel Lewis ride with the two rivets as well. Bought a month or so back and it has become a favourite . I owned the 19" Crash ride that I purchased from Paw Music when they were blowing out all their stock. Was not as happy with it and sold it. Soul Drums in Toronto has a really nice set of Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis cymbals (14/19/21) that would make a great set of cymbals for someone.