meinl cymbals any good?

I was wondering if Meinl compared at all to Sabian, Zildjian, or Paiste. I was at Long and Mcquade and saw a tama imperialstar. 855 bucks bass wood but sounded great, the big thing i noticed was, it came with a Meinl splash, ride, crash, hi-hat and all the hardware. It was the Meinl HCS so it was probrably low end but it made me want to look into Meinl cymbals.

Any comments are appreciated.

I just saw a video on youtube were thomas lang had a sonor kit and meinl cymbals.

I'm kind of surprised because I rarely see either of those products

With the Imperialstar, the HCS line is probably crappy brass and you should stay way from it at all costs. If i have learned anything on DW, buying used is usually the best bet for most situations if you want to save money.

Otherwise, i am sure Meinl makes quality stuff like the big three cymbal companies. I have never tried them, but they are comparable. Meinl is also big in the percussion department.

In a side-by-side comparison, I liked the Meinl SoundCaster line, their Powerful Ride and Mega Bell Rides sound really great and comparable to a Sabian AA Raw Bell Dry Ride for bell sound and playability.

However, every cymbal company is capable of making junk for entry level kits. Sabian has their Solar brand, Meinl has HCS, Zildjian has Planet Z, and Camber and Pearl have everything they make. Meinl's HCS are slightly better than those others I've listed, but not nearly up to the level of the rest of Meinl's offerings.

I'm a fan of Meinl Byzance cymbals - especially the thin extra dry crashes, and I'm also a huge fan of Istanbul Agop and other Turkish companies. The Byzance series is top-notch, and everything else is about on level with the Big 3.

byzance traditional + byzance extra dry/ byzance vintage = SEX! so so amazing. also benny greb signature hats/ride/trash hats are AMAZING
Yeah, I was immediately hooked on the extra dry byzance as soon as I heard it. I hate over resonant cymbals and the extra dry series seems to be exactly the sound I've been looking for. The fact they look so good is a nice bonus too.

Meinl cymbals any good?
Yes, the MB20's and Traditional Byzance's are the best cymbals i have ever played in my life. Hands down the most versatile cymbals out there in my opinion, great wash because of the hand hammering, many, many different weights and sizes, and they just seem to do everything really well.

My 2 cents
xoxo

i play the Byzance's, dark, brash, earthy, sweet, dirty, funky and maybe the most natural sounding cymbals i have played

that said, the big four - Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian and Meinl all have some great pies up at the top of the food chain...

i was at a Dom Famularo drum clinic a few days ago, He had all sabian hhx and they sounded amazing! I am going to try to find some hhx on ebay but i'd like to try meinl ones that arent low quality.

I'm switching out all my cymbals over to the meinl byzance brilliant, dark, and extra dry lines..with a few MB8s and MB10s thrown in there. I had a pair of 16in MB10 "fat hats" that were the loudest things I had ever heard, but still had a great sound. They make a lot of interesting stuff.

I play all Meinl byzance series. They are by far the best cymbals I played with. I used to play zildjian A custom, avidis, k's and K custom. As far as price goes, they are much cheaper than zildjian Ks but just as good. They have so many options, it's insane! I would never trade my byzances. Oh and the two year warranty they offer is also really good!

anyone played a byzance dark raw bell ride? I've been looking at them for a while but havent played one yet. I play mostly jazz and latin and it seems to fit my needs in the sound clips I've seen/heard.

Back