Meinl Byzance, Overtones = Return?

Hey Guys,

So after doing a large amount of research, playing many different cymbals, I chose a new 18" Meinl Byzance Medium Thin crash - my first major crash/cymbal purchase. Yet after liking it in the store and bringing it home, I've noticed that it has a strange overtone that I don't really like. Yet when I played it with my friends, the overtone blended in with the music and you couldn't really tell it was there - allowing the cymbal to sound great.

So my question is, what should I do? Is this something that will mellow out? It seems to be part of the overtones that allow the cymbal to cut (I'm guessing). Should I ask the store to get another of the same cymbal and compare/swap? Or just get a different cymbal? I'm still within the return date, so I have a bit of time, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience with these types of situations. I got what I felt was a good cymbal, but it irks me that when practicing it's hard to not hear the overtone. Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

p.s. I'll try and get an audio file up later on this week.

croctopus

Could it be your practice space? I know when I have my drums set up in my living room I get all sorts of noises and overtones that I don't care for.

MikeM

Platinum Member
...Yet when I played it with my friends, the overtone blended in with the music and you couldn't really tell it was there - allowing the cymbal to sound great.
This is where it really matters, IMO, so I would keep it. Most cymbals - especially b20 cymbals - produce an array of overtones. Most get swallowed up in the music if they're not dominant. If it sounds good in the context you bought it for, then go with it.

I've often thought that Sabian cymbals sound better in isolation than Zildjians, which tend to sound shrill and harsh, but when playing them with the band, I still tend to prefer Zildjians (though not always) because most of the Zildjian nasty tones are not so dominant and tend to go away with music. (those are my two preferred brands, but the same "rules" apply)

Skyking

IMHO I'd return it or exchange it. If you are not happy with it now you probably never will be. Anyone want to buy my Meinl Byzance 22 inch heavy ride? I liked it in the store, brought it home, and never liked it. Maybe if I switch from Rock to Jazz? I had the same experiece with with a 22 inch heavy K Ride.I sold it and bought the Meinl, oops! Now, I don't buy large heavy weight rides anymore. My next baby is a 20 inch Sabian Vault Artisian Medium Ride. No more ting ting ting. Can anyone say Tchaaaaa!

Solaris

Silver Member
Honestly it's just your rehearsal room. My toms sound really boxy in my practice space because it's rather small, but at band, in recording studios and live they sound great.

uniin

Gold Member
Honestly it's just your rehearsal room. My toms sound really boxy in my practice space because it's rather small, but at band, in recording studios and live they sound great.
yep. some rehearsal rooms i can't get my bass drum to sound like what it sounds in other rooms, just because of the room.

also i love my 22" byzance heavy ride. it's the most amazing thing ever!