MEINL BYZANCE DARK or VINTAGE PURE CRASH

53Rockets

I just bought a 22" benny greb sand ride and am looking for a left side crash to go with it. I've narrowed it down to a 20" of one of these. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for fairly dry with a bit of sustain. Not dead dry, but i'll have something a bit more traditional on the right. Both these sound great in Meinl YT clips, and it's unlikely i'll get to put a stick on one before i purchase, much less have them side by side for a true comparison. Any thoughts on either/both would be great.
I play stoner/desert/psychadelic rock in the style of Colour Haze, All Them Witches and Lowrider. Some heavy crashing, some textural cymbal stuff on quieter parts. I like cymbals that can really add different colours without just being the occasional fireworks display into a different song section...

Justinhub2003

I just bought a 22" benny greb sand ride and am looking for a left side crash to go with it. I've narrowed it down to a 20" of one of these. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for fairly dry with a bit of sustain. Not dead dry, but i'll have something a bit more traditional on the right. Both these sound great in Meinl YT clips, and it's unlikely i'll get to put a stick on one before i purchase, much less have them side by side for a true comparison. Any thoughts on either/both would be great.
I play stoner/desert/psychadelic rock in the style of Colour Haze, All Them Witches and Lowrider. Some heavy crashing, some textural cymbal stuff on quieter parts. I like cymbals that can really add different colours without just being the occasional fireworks display into a different song section...

I own both and also own that ride.

Personally I much prefer the Meinl vintage crash. I actually took the Meinl Byzance Dark off my kit as it didn’t mesh with the rest.

That said... my favorite Meinl crash is the 18 or 20 inch Byzance hammered crash.

PS If you end up choosing the dark, I can sell you one for good price. Was getting ready to list on reverb

53Rockets

I notice you also play Paiste's. My main set now is Paiste Big Beats and a 24" Giant Beat, but i'm really interested in Meinl's, mostly because of JP Gaster from Clutch. He's played both Dark's and Vintage Pure's as crashes. What is it you prefer about the VP's? And if i go Dark, i might take you up on that offer. I'm in Canada, and there's a guy selling a 20" Dark on Reverb for a very reasonable price..

Justinhub2003

I notice you also play Paiste's. My main set now is Paiste Big Beats and a 24" Giant Beat, but i'm really interested in Meinl's, mostly because of JP Gaster from Clutch. He's played both Dark's and Vintage Pure's as crashes. What is it you prefer about the VP's? And if i go Dark, i might take you up on that offer. I'm in Canada, and there's a guy selling a 20" Dark on Reverb for a very reasonable price..
I was a Paiste guy my whole life and still have an entire setup of 2002’s and Dark Energy Paiste’s. But once I got a taste for darker cymbals, I went all in on Meinl and my whole setup right now is meinl.

It’s all about preference and what your going for but the vintage crash is bit more trashier. Where as the dark is quick and... dark. It’s just a bit darker then I prefer. It’s tough to put my finger on why I like it less though.

I’d say my two favorite Meinl crashes are the extra thin hammered crash and the Meinl extra dry followed by the vintage.

53Rockets

I was a Paiste guy my whole life and still have an entire setup of 2002’s and Dark Energy Paiste’s. But once I got a taste for darker cymbals, I went all in on Meinl and my whole setup right now is meinl.

It’s all about preference and what your going for but the vintage crash is bit more trashier. Where as the dark is quick and... dark. It’s just a bit darker then I prefer. It’s tough to put my finger on why I like it less though.

I’d say my two favorite Meinl crashes are the extra thin hammered crash and the Meinl extra dry followed by the vintage.
I've been liking what i've heard from the extra hammered crash. In your opinion, if i was going with three cymbals, the 22" sand ride, 20" extra thin hammered on the left what would be a good main crash on the right? I'm leaning towards something a bit more traditional, literally a 20 or 22" traditional medium crash. Something with a slightly longer decay than on my left. I like to use the left crash more as punctuation.

Local Oaf

Flip a coin. Not that the correct answer is whichever side comes up, but rather while it’s in the air, your brain will tell you what you hope it is. That’s your answer.

53Rockets

I will likely buy whichever comes up with the best price on reverb. That's usally the one that sounds best to my Visa card...

sumdrumguy

I own the 22" Sand ride, and 20" Dark crash. Sound great together, and are very versatile - serve as rides and crashes. They make an awesome 2 cymbal set up.

The 20" Extra Hammered is another beautiful cymbal. Trashy - like a soft china. Big but warm roar with a fast decay. At least mine is.

Last edited: