Meg White

volume_3

I have a great respect for Meg, and I do think she is a very good drummer. She's creative, she sdoesn't just use the basic drumbeat in every song, she doesn't go all out and try to show off her talent and play beats because she can, she's modest and i think that her drums fit the song better than any fast, complex beat would.

And after all, the Stripes are very successful, she's has to be doing something right.

Beginer

Re: Meg White.....wonder drummer??

Hmmmmm... sometimes I wonder.. would things be different if Meg White was a guy? I mean is it easier to find fault in her playing because she's a female drummer? I've seen a lot of guy drummers with really bad set ups and bad technique, but don't get bashed at, not as bad as this anyway...
Its so funny.. no one has even accented that shes a female before you.. I would say that your makin problem out of nothing, but i wont:]

F

FlamThrower

MODERATOR EDIT: Here's a hint. If you find yourself using the phrase "I'm going to say this and it's probably going to get deleted again," maybe it's time to drop the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

stasz

Platinum Member
From the booklet of the Stripes' latest release, Icky Thump; a list a of people the band would like to thank for contributing to their musical career:

"After ten wonderful, fortunate, and tumultuous years, The White Stripes would like to thank,
God, Electra, Tara and Star, Jasper...

...(long list)...

...To Krupa, and Mitchell, and Buddy, Bonham, and Bellson..."

Well, there you have it. Meg's influences.

YEM

P.S. Apparently Jack White is going to play Elvis in an upcoming movie.

AnthonyB

It's unfair to think that a 20-something woman who started to play drums because her husband couldn't find anyone else can achieve any credit or success is very unfair. Many drummers, including myself, put their time and effort into becoming accomplished at the drums, inventing fills and generally committing themselves to their art, are ignored.

billy ward

DW Pro Drummer
I feel like chiming in here - and mean no disrespect to anyone who has expressed their opinion here - but....

Yeah, she has a quirky feel because of her apparent lack of chops... That said, I think the band sounds great! Her unique feel on those rhythms is a big contributor to that sound in my opinion. In fact, If I had to sub for her with Jack, I would have difficulty getting that feel. To me, that makes her a very good drummer. Those who think they can do better?... let's hear your music! :D
Rather than tear down, let'slearn from what is out there and try to play better ourselves! yeah!

intooder

It's unfair to think that a 20-something woman who started to play drums because her husband couldn't find anyone else can achieve any credit or success is very unfair. Many drummers, including myself, put their time and effort into becoming accomplished at the drums, inventing fills and generally committing themselves to their art, are ignored.
Like mentioned before, in art, effort doesn't necessarily equate to success/popularity. I felt exactly the way you do, until I listened to them more closely and realised what she was doing in the context of their music.

I feel that the tom angle is intentional, as well. I like the way the WS sound and I feel you need a different mindset to play like she does. IMO, it's someone that's been playing for a while, deliberately avoiding the rudimental approach. So she is an innovator, however simplistic.

bighaibigdrums

Life's not fair. Get used to it.

dale w miller

Silver Member
I feel like chiming in here - and mean no disrespect to anyone who has expressed their opinion here - but....

Yeah, she has a quirky feel because of her apparent lack of chops... That said, I think the band sounds great! Her unique feel on those rhythms is a big contributor to that sound in my opinion. In fact, If I had to sub for her with Jack, I would have difficulty getting that feel. To me, that makes her a very good drummer. Those who think they can do better?... let's hear your music! :D
Rather than tear down, let'slearn from what is out there and try to play better ourselves! yeah!
Like mentioned before, in art, effort doesn't necessarily equate to success/popularity. I felt exactly the way you do, until I listened to them more closely and realised what she was doing in the context of their music.

I feel that the tom angle is intentional, as well. I like the way the WS sound and I feel you need a different mindset to play like she does. IMO, it's someone that's been playing for a while, deliberately avoiding the rudimental approach. So she is an innovator, however simplistic.

Life's not fair. Get used to it.
i'm glad all of you all said these comments, i've had all these feelings floating around while reading this thread and the many others just like it on this & other forums. the whole subject is beyond old.

when it comes down to it. i don't think she really cares about all the negative criticisms she is getting from fellow drummers. look at Ringo. similar stuff has been said about him as well. i think he and his career has survived those criticisms just fine and so will Meg's.

Bossa Nova

From the booklet of the Stripes' latest release, Icky Thump; a list a of people the band would like to thank for contributing to their musical career:

"...(long list)...

...To Krupa, and Mitchell, and Buddy, Bonham, and Bellson..."

Well, there you have it. Meg's influences.
Actually Jack wrote that stuff about the drummers, not Meg. He says in the Interview Magazine interview (July or August of 2007) that he misses instrumental virtuosos and the swing feel in music. He says there are not enough players in popluar music today that are known for playing an instrument and he mentions those masters of swing in the liner notes b/c of this.

Meg didn't talk much in the interview.

Personally, I like Meg's drumming, and I love the White Stripes.

stasz

Platinum Member
Actually Jack wrote that stuff about the drummers, not Meg. He says in the Interview Magazine interview (July or August of 2007) that he misses instrumental virtuosos and the swing feel in music. He says there are not enough players in popluar music today that are known for playing an instrument and he mentions those masters of swing in the liner notes b/c of this.

Meg didn't talk much in the interview.

Personally, I like Meg's drumming, and I love the White Stripes.
Yeah, well I got the feeling that Gene Krupa wasn't a huge influence on Meg. She doesn't ever seem to talk much either...

ZildjianMan1023

Silver Member

it's not that there is a single proper way to set up drums but there is certainly improper ways. imagine a kit with the snare drum set up in front of the bass and the hi tom beneath the floor tom. this is an extreme idea but it illustrates the point. while meg's tom is playable it is not ergonomic, will disallow certain good techniques and will lead to increased wear on the head. do like her cymbal choices tho

as to your first point i do agree with it actually. in a weird way meg gives all drummers hope. how so?
read here:
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id35.html

j
i think meg is a good drummer and easy on the eyes too

slingerland755

Silver Member
If I could trade styles with Meg.....I wouldn't. However, Meg plays exactly what the White Stripes need. It's perfect for them.

Bossa Nova

it's not that there is a single proper way to set up drums but there is certainly improper ways. imagine a kit with the snare drum set up in front of the bass and the hi tom beneath the floor tom. this is an extreme idea but it illustrates the point. while meg's tom is playable it is not ergonomic, will disallow certain good techniques and will lead to increased wear on the head. do like her cymbal choices tho

as to your first point i do agree with it actually. in a weird way meg gives all drummers hope. how so?
read here:
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id35.html

j
Will someone please tell this amateur that his tom angle is completely wrong and lacks any sense of quality ergonometry? I can't believe this dude's even in a band with these kind of tom angles.

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
yeah that amateur needs some advice...look at how messed up his skins are. i bet he's powerful but doesn't have much fine technique. he's probably more of a showman. i wonder if his drum set up has changed since this picture was taken.

j

nebula821

yeah that amateur needs some advice...look at how messed up his skins are. i bet he's powerful but doesn't have much fine technique. he's probably more of a showman. i wonder if his drum set up has changed since this picture was taken.

j
LMAO well put!!!!!!!!