Meg White

Because its really pointless to talk about whether she was good or not, in-and-out of context, I'm going to talk about something else that was stated in this thread that I've heard before.

The apparently "fact" (that I believe is unverified, but prove me wrong) that Jack "forbade" Meg from practicing. Am I the only one bothered by this implication/relationship? I want to believe that this is apocryphal.

Because its really pointless to talk about whether she was good or not, in-and-out of context, I'm going to talk about something else that was stated in this thread that I've heard before.

The apparently "fact" (that I believe is unverified, but prove me wrong) that Jack "forbade" Meg from practicing. Am I the only one bothered by this implication/relationship? I want to believe that this is apocryphal.
“Forbade”? That’s a gross misrepresentation of the situation. Neither of them liked to rehearse, Jack said her drumming was perfect such as it was, said he wanted her to keep her vibe by not practicing and not knowing the songs before recording, and Meg was happy to go along with it because she didn’t like practicing anyway.

I'd never heard the story before, but then I'm not a huge Jack White or White Stripes fan. But I wonder if it wasn't meant as a sort of variation on what Miles Davis told a young Herbie Hancock:

“Miles wanted us to live on the stage in front of the people, creating in front of the people. In other words, don’t lean on what you know, what he was looking for is the stuff that you don’t know. Miles even told us, ‘I pay you to practice on the bandstand in front of the people.'

Probably not, but it just struck me.

It's been just over 12 years since The White Stripes broke up. And in that time, Jack White has played with a lot of drummers, every one of which was technically far superior to Meg White. And he has produced a lot of music in that time, little of which is as good as, and none of which is better than, what he produced with Meg as The White Stripes.

Correlation does not imply causation and all that...but it's totally causation in this case.

That's not true.

Back