medula pinata

MikeM

Platinum Member
Here's a song from a weeknight show we did a few weeks ago.

The lighting is stupid dark and there are some sync issues occasionally between the iPhone camera and the little digital recorder but it sounds okay - and the LM402 sounds amazing if I do say so.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Sounded great to me. Looks like you played without a ride that night.

Nice work on the cymbals BTW.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Mike, it sounds rather brutal and mathematical ... I have no idea how you remember all that - impressive. Rock solid drumming with lots of power and energy.

How do you do it at your age? I'd last about 20 seconds into that one before collapse :)

MikeM

Platinum Member
Sounded great to me. Looks like you played without a ride that night.
Thanks! There's a ride under there somewhere (it sits low between the two crashes on my right). I think brilliant finish cymbals tend to disappear when it's so dark! ;-)

Mike, it sounds rather brutal and mathematical ... I have no idea how you remember all that - impressive. Rock solid drumming with lots of power and energy.

How do you do it at your age? I'd last about 20 seconds into that one before collapse :)
Cheers, Polly! That's pretty much the limit for how mathy I like to go. Some of the new material we've been working on is a little silly and yeah, I can't remember songs that have too many weird changes, especially if they don't serve any musical purpose (because I don't want to remember them!). We're going to find a way to smooth some of that out. But I've definitely heard worse math offenders. Another thing that aids in remembering is the fact that those songs are all more than 10 years old, so we have recorded documentation of the road maps!

This one typically goes last in our set so I can call it off if I'm feeling... uh, too old for it... (did I really type that??). It's basically a Wipe Out rip-off, which should be left to the youngsters and those otherwise more capable. (this one suffers the most from sync issues but gets matched up more as the song goes on)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Now that was really impressive Mike. Got to be honest & say the guitarist/vocalist isn't for me, but man, what a rocking rhythm section!!!! Love your bass player for his attitude & attack. Thought your drumming was right on the money. Plenty of energy & rock solid. The kit sounded absolutely superb! Everything a full sounding rock kit should be in a 3 piece power rock environment. Best rock rhythm section I've heard in a long time.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
what a rocking rhythm section!!!! Love your bass player for his attitude & attack. Thought your drumming was right on the money. Plenty of energy & rock solid. The kit sounded absolutely superb! Everything a full sounding rock kit should be in a 3 piece power rock environment. Best rock rhythm section I've heard in a long time.
Gotta agree - those two are a force!

Mike, that other song you posted ... an almost unbelievable performance by you! It sounded a lot like like breakneck double pedal drumming. After you've played that number I can't imagine your wife wanting to have anything to do with you until after a shower :) I could not play like that in 100 years ... even if I could think or move that fast I'd be on a stretcher after 16 bars anyway.

Have to say that the music sets my teeth on edge, though lol

PQleyR

Platinum Member
This is some tremendous stuff, Mike. Your playing seems both powerful and efficient, it's an alluring combination. You have good taste in snares too, I'm an LM402 man myself!

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Nice work! Man, this reminds me of the band I was in when I was 19. Fun stuff. Is this the band that came down to Portland a couple of weeks ago?

MikeM

Platinum Member
@KIS - Holy cow, thanks a lot! That's some unexpected, but most appreciated high praise coming from you!

Interesting observations about the singer/guitar player and the bass player. The guitar player/singer, while having practically zero in the way of "chops", can pretty well take credit for the whole thing since he wrote the songs and all the parts except the drums. But even then, the drum parts were largely dictated by the music and the different time signatures he stumbled into without ever knowing there was anything "odd" about them. He has a natural knack for coming up with interesting parts that go well together. Plus, FWIW, he can do a brilliant Michael Jackson vocal impersonation, complete with grunts and hee hee's!

@Polly - Sorry about your teeth! My wife doesn't come to many shows anymore, but yeah, I'm pretty much a sweaty wreck by the end of a set. Maybe that's why she stays away?? That song's just straight 16ths so it shouldn't really be that big a deal, but the mix of snare accents, cymbal hits, and age take their toll, I guess.

@PQleyR - Thanks, I like your description of powerful and efficient because even when I feel like I'm coming up short (which is often enough), that's pretty much what I'm trying to do, so nice that it's come through. Your 402 sounds pretty rippin, too - nice and crispy crackly. You pretty much have to go out of your way to make these snares sound bad.

@Caddy - Thanks! Almost reminds me of a band I was in at that age, too! And one or two others for that matter. Perhaps I'm stuck in a rut... Yeah, this is the same band that played in Portland two weeks ago. That was a pretty fun show but the drive is kind of a drag. Wouldn't want to make a habit out of that (after gas, we figured we made $13 each).