Me = Sloppy?

MoreCowbell!!

Hi, i have a problem. When i record myself on my Roland TD-9 and then listen back on it, i always find myself playing/sounding sloppy. Am i really that sloppy or am i just paranoid?

Ps. I am 13 and i have been playing for 4 years.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
soundclips?

What you find with recording is the first time you do it, you realise that you're actually a lot less tight then you think you are. The sort of "is my voice REALLY that high!!!??" effect. It should help because if you record yourself enough times you get to a point where you start to listen out for the little problems in your playing so you can hopefully iron them out and become a much tighter player as a result. Or you're just paranoid.

DrumART Jim

Hi, i have a problem. When i record myself on my Roland TD-9 and then listen back on it, i always find myself playing/sounding sloppy. Am i really that sloppy or am i just paranoid?

Well, you know what they say -- the tape don't lie! Or in this case, the microprocessor-based digital midi recorder. That said, it's the best news you can hear. Identifying your weaknesses is the only way to address them. Another bit of good news -- the TD-9 has a metronome. :)

mrchattr

Gold Member
At your age, and with your very limited playing experience, I would be shocked if you weren't sloppy. Don't feel bad about it, though...use that TD-9 to get less sloppy! Listening to recordings and working on the things that are bad is the easiest way to get better. Also, get a teacher. Having an older, experienced drummer that is able to listen objectively and help you fix your weak spots will have you playing less sloppy in no time!

Good luck and keep on playing!

Richard.J

What does your Teacher say about your playing?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The recorder doesn't lie, however your perception of your own tightness is sometimes over confident. Congratulations on discovering the best improvement tool ever, the recorder.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
With such an honest thread title, I believe it. With the recorder, you can really track your progress. I used to be a legend in my own mind for many years. Till I heard myself. Monumental reality check ha ha.

tezzerii

Yep, recording sure is a reality check. I was laying down some drum tracks a couple of years ago with a band, our guitarist recording on his computer, and he was having some "latency" problems Something to do with tracks getting out of sync?.
One track, he couldn't understand why the kick and snare were out of sync, and figured it was this latency thing, but when I had a listen, I realised to my utter shame that it was me!!
Playing sloppy. Next take I sorted myself out.
In fact, the whole band started shamefacedly sorting themselves out !!!!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yes it's a sobering moment when the light of day reveals all of our shortcomings in all of it's glorious atrocities. At that point is where you really start the journey. Anything before was just spinning the wheels.

SGT_Drummer

yeah, like people have already said it's a wonderful reality check. the first time i ever got to hear playback of myself was the first album i ever recorded. i remember playing it and then listening back like "OMG! I nailed it! I sound awesome!" then a few weeks later i threw the CD in and that's when the reality of it kicked me in the back of the head. To this day i still cringe when i hear the intro to the first song (i did simple 8th notes on the hat while opening it up over 2 bars that went into the chorus, unfortunately i also consistenly sped up the beat as the hats opened. sounds like crap now, still kinda amazed that noone caught that in the umpteen thousand times we listened to it before finishing it, even more amazing is that i fall right back into the beat not a beat and a half after that, still not sure how that worked out)

but yeah, take it as enlightenment. good news, you got that enlightenment about 6 years earlier in your career than i did!! lol.

mcbike

Silver Member
I remember the first time I taped myself playing jazz and I realized all those really cool comping patterns I was doing was really the SAME 2 COMPS over and over again. It sorted me out really quickly.

I record everything I do now, practices, shows, etc. Its really time consuming to listen to everything and it doesn't leave alot of time to listen to other music right now but it's worth it.

MoreCowbell!!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Since i posted this thread i have been practicing with a metronome and i am already noticing a difference!

dairyairman

Platinum Member
recording is the great eye (ear?) opener.

i'm nervous right now because i have to go to the recording studio tonight and record drum tracks with 52 high fidelity mics on me. talk about revealing your weaknesses!

I remember the first time I taped myself playing jazz and I realized all those really cool comping patterns I was doing was really the SAME 2 COMPS over and over again. It sorted me out really quickly.
Haha, the exact same thing happened to me the first time I was recorded playing jazz.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
recording is the great eye (ear?) opener.

i'm nervous right now because i have to go to the recording studio tonight and record drum tracks with 52 high fidelity mics on me. talk about revealing your weaknesses!
52 microphones? Would you kindly mind telling us what exactly all of these microphones will be doing please?

dairyairman

Platinum Member
52 mics was another one of my wild exaggerations. there were only 8 mics on my drums as it turned out, and the recording session did reveal my weaknesses in glorious high fidelity. i had trouble staying on the click in one song and we had to re-do it a couple times before we had anything usable.