Me playing a cool song recently at my church

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Very nicely executed.

I think you take the record for largest cymbals I've ever seen used on a worship team.

Very cool seeing--and hearing--Istanbul Agops in the house.

R2112

Silver Member
Sound great they do! What a bonus being able to keep yours safely at home now. Really great stuff.
Interesting you should say that about being safely at home.

A few months ago I let the church borrow my cymbals for the weekend services because our main FOH guy loved mixing with them so much. I wasn't playing that weekend. One of the other drummers was. I came in on the Monday morning after to get them and noticed a crack in my Joey Waronker ride! I was pretty bummed :( Our worship pastor was extremely gracious, didn't even flinch and said the church would buy me a new one, no questions asked. I felt bad the church was having to pay for a $600+ dollar ride. I called Istanbul just to see what they thought. They asked when I purchased it. My purchase date was within a year so they said no problem at all and said they'd replace it free of charge minus the shipping. I had my brand knew Joey Waronker ride at almost the exact same gram weight within a week. Now thats awesome service!! :)

R2112

Silver Member
Very nicely executed.

I think you take the record for largest cymbals I've ever seen used on a worship team.

Very cool seeing--and hearing--Istanbul Agops in the house.
Hey, thanks so much Doug!

Haha ya, I aint scared to bring out the big plates! :) Our main sound engineer A/B'd a few cymbals from the major cymbal makers and simply loved the Agop's over all the others. He used some sort of frequency meter and was able to see how the Agop's tonally fit absolutely perfectly in the mix with the instruments but yet just under the vocals. He loves that!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Interesting you should say that about being safely at home.

A few months ago I let the church borrow my cymbals for the weekend services because our main FOH guy loved mixing with them so much. I wasn't playing that weekend. One of the other drummers was. I came in on the Monday morning after to get them and noticed a crack in my Joey Waronker ride! I was pretty bummed :( Our worship pastor was extremely gracious, didn't even flinch and said the church would buy me a new one, no questions asked. I felt bad the church was having to pay for a $600+ dollar ride. I called Istanbul just to see what they thought. They asked when I purchased it. My purchase date was within a year so they said no problem at all and said they'd replace it free of charge minus the shipping. I had my brand knew Joey Waronker ride at almost the exact same gram weight within a week. Now thats awesome service!! :)
That may have been enough to sway me in the direction of the Istanbuls, risking internet purchases. The Istanbuls sound awesome, but as with most things cool, Phoenix, as large as it is has nothing for drum shops or equipment variety. I think someone around here carries Dream, but other than that. All the Zildjian A, A Custom, Ks and Sabian AA and AAX you could wish for. Anything more than that, even HHX is like searching for life on Mars.

R2112

Silver Member
I can totally relate. Even in the Dallas area there's no Istanbul dealer. I spent a few months doing A LOT of research on cymbals and listening to MANY different cymbals, in person and online. I found that Memphis Drum Shop was an excellent way to get the most accurate sound of the cymbals online. From that research I found that Istanbul Agop had the beautiful, musical sound I was looking for. I narrowed down the best models, sizes and gram weight for the sound I was wanting in each one. Then it was a matter of patience and waiting for those sizes and weights. I advise being able to listen to the specific cymbal before purchasing regarding Istanbul Agop. Two of the exact same model, size and gram weight will not sound exactly the same. That's the beauty of a hand made cymbal. My 20", 22" crashes and 24" ride are approximately a 3rd interval apart from each other. I'm able to play them musically vs. just being a loud metallic sound at the end of a phrase or on the "1". I can't recommend Istanbul Agop's enough. :)

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I can totally relate. Even in the Dallas area there's no Istanbul dealer. I spent a few months doing A LOT of research on cymbals and listening to MANY different cymbals, in person and online. I found that Memphis Drum Shop was an excellent way to get the most accurate sound of the cymbals online. From that research I found that Istanbul Agop had the beautiful, musical sound I was looking for. I narrowed down the best models, sizes and gram weight for the sound I was wanting in each one. Then it was a matter of patience and waiting for those sizes and weights. I advise being able to listen to the specific cymbal before purchasing regarding Istanbul Agop. Two of the exact same model, size and gram weight will not sound exactly the same. That's the beauty of a hand made cymbal. My 20", 22" crashes and 24" ride are approximately a 3rd interval apart from each other. I'm able to play them musically vs. just being a loud metallic sound at the end of a phrase or on the "1". I can't recommend Istanbul Agop's enough. :)
Not much of a comparison, but kinda the same conclusion I came to with my HHX Evolutions. They are for the most part fairly consistent, so long as you can get them in the weight range you're looking for. I liked that Sabian would alter them for me, if I decided to do so. It was a total crap shoot, but I ordered them online hoping for super thin ones and got lucky. They sounded exactly the way I was hoping. Nice and versatile, with a good mix of tones to fit in multiple genres. The next one I ordered, not so much, it was on the heavier side and too bright, but a really good price, so even with the cost of having it thinned down, it was still less than the price of new. I did look at the Istanbuls, but they were a bit out of my price range and never could find any used. Now, maybe if I could have lived with only three cymbals, it would have been a different story.

Sorry to steal the thread. Been doing that a lot today!

SQUIRREL!

R2112

Silver Member
Not much of a comparison, but kinda the same conclusion I came to with my HHX Evolutions. They are for the most part fairly consistent, so long as you can get them in the weight range you're looking for. I liked that Sabian would alter them for me, if I decided to do so. It was a total crap shoot, but I ordered them online hoping for super thin ones and got lucky. They sounded exactly the way I was hoping. Nice and versatile, with a good mix of tones to fit in multiple genres. The next one I ordered, not so much, it was on the heavier side and too bright, but a really good price, so even with the cost of having it thinned down, it was still less than the price of new. I did look at the Istanbuls, but they were a bit out of my price range and never could find any used. Now, maybe if I could have lived with only three cymbals, it would have been a different story.

Sorry to steal the thread. Been doing that a lot today!

SQUIRREL!
Lol! No squirrel at all. I like those HHX Evolutions. The ones I've heard had a great sound and seemed like they would sit well in a mix. I'm glad you found ones you like!