Me playing a cool song recently at my church

R2112

Silver Member
This is me playing with one of our church bands on the main stage at my church a few months ago. (my cymbals but not my drums) The service had a fun song set but the song I really liked playing is at the end of the service. It has a good groove but the build at the end of the song is my favorite part to play. The build is easy to rush it if you're not careful. I kept my playing throughout the song pretty simple...less is more approach ;)

I'm not sure if this is the whole service. If it is, just start the video at 1:05:40. That's when the song I'm referring to starts.

Btw, this is a song played at church. I don't want to surprise anybody :)

https://livestream.com/accounts/270123/events/1705602/videos/146212696

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
A definite no go. It's the whole service and it won't let you fast forward, unless it's downloaded the entire service and it wouldn't buffer, but in sections. When I got close, my browser crashed, so I gave up. You may want to post just the song.

KamaK

Platinum Member
A definite no go. It's the whole service and it won't let you fast forward, unless it's downloaded the entire service and it wouldn't buffer, but in sections. When I got close, my browser crashed, so I gave up. You may want to post just the song.
Safari allowed me to FF. (Chrome didn't)

@OP: Good solid playing. Great job.

R2112

Silver Member
I'm sorry about that AZ. :( It works on my computer. I just click and drag the time line over until 1:05:40. I'm on a mac using safari though. I'm not very computer savvy but I'll try to figure out how to just post the song. Thanks for letting me know.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I'm sorry about that AZ. :( It works on my computer. I just click and drag the time line over until 1:05:40. I'm on a mac using safari though. I'm not very computer savvy but I'll try to figure out how to just post the song. Thanks for letting me know.
Okay, I didn't think of that. I have one of those :) Seemed strange not to be able to advance on my iPad, so I figured it was the site. I got to watch it and very well done. Great sounding worship band all around.

I actually find playing worship songs far more challenging, since the slightest bit of over or under playing disrupts the whole mood. I usually ask for new songs a couple of weeks in advance, so I can find the right feel. Not so with most pop songs or even some technical songs for that matter.

Magenta

Platinum Member
And the little tings just before the big bit from 1:09 - a subtle hint that something might be about to happen. Very tasteful, the whole thing.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
R2112,

I know you said to listen to the last song, but I liked the musicianship of the band as a whole so much, I listened to your first songs too. Definitely a tight band and well played all around. You do other cool tidbits in those songs too. Good stuff.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Great talent on stage, R2!

Superb playing by yourself. Particularly enjoyed the clear and cutting sound of the cymbals.

R2112

Silver Member
Absolutely loving your build from 1:09 - excellent intensity & control :) I like the whole performance by all, & a great song too. Wonderful looking stage setup.

I'm assuming that's the house video setup too? Very impressive, & similar to a setup in a church I visited outside of Houston last year.
Hey Andy! Thank you so much! That means a lot coming from such a quality and seasoned player :)

Yes, the video is also what is shown on the screens in the house. We're blessed to have such quality staff and volunteers in our A/V department. We have seven camera operators each service and a whole host of people behind the scenes in our main control room. We run two Digico 10 consoles. One for FOH and one back stage dedicated for the band and vocals mix. We also have two lighting directors running the light programs. It's crazy that they make it happen every week...and we start every Monday with a clean slate to be ready for the weekend lol.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Great job, R...

Nice control without losing the passion of the moment. Nothing I would even suggest changing about your performance. Overall a very talented team you have there.

(Also...as a worship drummer myself I want to say how much I appreciate everyone's constructive feedback in the thread and being so gracious and not making it uncomfortable guys like us to share our passion as drummers with you.)

R2112

Silver Member
Great talent on stage, R2!

Superb playing by yourself. Particularly enjoyed the clear and cutting sound of the cymbals.
Hey, thanks Stroker!!

Those are actually my cymbals. All Istanbul Agop's. The crashes are 20" and 22" Traditional Dark's. The Ride is a 24" Joey Waronker signature and the hats are 15" Mantra's. They sound great in that big room. They sounded so much better than the the cymbals that the church was using that the church bought the same set. Now I don't have to bring mine anymore :)

R2112

Silver Member
Great job, R...

Nice control without losing the passion of the moment. Nothing I would even suggest changing about your performance. Overall a very talented team you have there.

(Also...as a worship drummer myself I want to say how much I appreciate everyone's constructive feedback in the thread and being so gracious and not making it uncomfortable guys like us to share our passion as drummers with you.)
Thanks so much for your kind words, Mongrel!

R2112

Silver Member
R2112,

I know you said to listen to the last song, but I liked the musicianship of the band as a whole so much, I listened to your first songs too. Definitely a tight band and well played all around. You do other cool tidbits in those songs too. Good stuff.
Thanks a lot AZ!! I'm glad you checked out the first set of songs too. I loved the first set of songs at the beginning but that last song just felt special when I was playing it. I feel very blessed to be able to play with such quality musicians as them. :)

R2112

Silver Member
It is indeed crazy. As a Brit, I / we have no concept of a church with such facilities. My eyes were opened when I visited a very large church outside of Houston. A business friend of mine runs FOH sound there. I was blown away by the setup, & also the professionalism / enthusiasm of the volunteers running the show. It was, in all but name / purpose, a high end 3,000 seater theatre.
Yes, we do have some big, fancy churches here in Texas lol! :)

I'm looking forward to going over to the UK someday though to see and experience the deep and rich history of your churches. That is something we can't touch here in the states.

I wish more worship drummers would share their performances.
I totally agree!!

TripleStroke

I am a fan of rob brown of whitby ON, canada you guys should check his youtube channel out (rob 'beatdown' brown) as he covers a lot of cool rudiments and his church setup as well.

Btw great work/playing OP

Stroker

Platinum Member
Hey, thanks Stroker!!

Those are actually my cymbals. All Istanbul Agop's. The crashes are 20" and 22" Traditional Dark's. The Ride is a 24" Joey Waronker signature and the hats are 15" Mantra's. They sound great in that big room. They sounded so much better than the the cymbals that the church was using that the church bought the same set. Now I don't have to bring mine anymore :)
Sound great they do! What a bonus being able to keep yours safely at home now. Really great stuff.