Me and my ex caught on video...

Wavelength

Platinum Member
...my ex being my first drum kit.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edmxTWUKk7g
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41NVK-c_x2E
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCTQyThkFWY

- Remo Acousticon 18" x 15" BD, 12" x 10" FT, 10" x 9" TT and Ludwig Acrolite 14" x 5" SD
- Coated Emperors and clear Ambassadors on the tom-toms, coated Ambassador and clear Diplomat on the snare, coated and ebony PS3 on the kick drum
- 14" Zildjian K Custom Dark Hi-hat, 20" K Custom Dark Ride, 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride, 20" K Ride, 21" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride (from the era when they were called Dry Rides)
- AKG C1000 condenser & Shure SM57 dynamic connected to the camcorder (Canon HV20) via a 1/8" plug splitter
- I should definitely get a new haircut

dude, i can't find words to describe how great your drums sound. and you really groove in these videos. i don't understand this jerk, who rated you 1/5 on youtube, but i don't even want to ;)

Great groovin... Loved the hi hat stuff. I love the way your drums (and cymbals) sound. Incredible stuff!

Fantastic playing.

And your drums sound great too. Can't believe they're 18x15, 12x10 and 10x9 - sound much bigger.

The second one was a nice groove, what ride are you using?

(is your current girlfriend having a girls night out?or is this just an old video)

The second one was a nice groove, what ride are you using?

(is your current girlfriend having a girls night out?or is this just an old video)

The setup is listed in the video info, but what the hell... I'm using a pair of hihats and three rides: 21" Byzance Dark Ride, 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride and 20" K Custom Dark Ride. I spent a long weekend at my parents' (babysitting their dog), and I decided to make the most of my time there: I brought some cymbals and a snare, and experimented with recording the kit with two microphones using a 1/8" cable splitter.

Good grooving, J. This kit sounds good too. Love the snare tuning.

SO..

How do you rate these v/s the Kumus? I'd imagine the Kumus would be a ton more expensive?

Is it the drums or the drummer?

How do you rate these v/s the Kumus? I'd imagine the Kumus would be a ton more expensive?

Is it the drums or the drummer?

These cans are made of some wood-like substance that resembles chipboard in more ways than one might like. They are finished with a white plastic wrap... crudely I might add. The wrap is dented and smudged with years of finger marks, dust, grease, what have you. The chroming is pitted, and the tuning screws are starting to get rusty. The bass drum is riddled with holes that were used to attach the tom mount. The Remo logo plate on the bass drum is missing a screw and it rattles slightly. There are some loose parts in each drum, and they all rattle just a bit. The bearing edges are far from perfect -- it would be a stretch to even say that they're in the ballpark. In fact, the floor tom is missing its batter side bearing edge entirely: it's not rounded, it's flattened, probably due to some diletant's attempt to shorten it... Not that it'd matter, since I'm using a Pearl an infamous I.S.S. to attach it to a cymbal stand. One of the kick drum's lugs got destroyed in a freak tuning accident, and has been replaced by a different brand spare part. Et cetera, et cetera... I doubt they have any real resale value.

The Kumus, on the other hand, are hand built from premium Finnish birch, hand finished with an immaculate matte paint job. The custom hardware is top notch, and the bearing edges are precision cut and polished to perfection. The wood hoops look gorgeous and enhance the drums' sound. You can tune them anyway you like, and they always sound great. They truly have a personality of their own and a sound of their own, and I'm yet to find a drummer who didn't like playing them. And buying them burnt a nice hole in my pocket, naturally.

Still, I'm having just as much fun playing either of them, or any kit for that matter. I've come to realise that it's not the drum sounds themselves that make a groove sound great. It's the drummer's time, touch and dynamics that matters. It's great to have a good sounding kit that will work in many situations, but at the end of the day a good drummer will sound good with a $200 set of drums and cymbals. The bucket-banging street drummers are the ultimate testament to this.

PS. Strangely, nowadays the Remos sound a lot better than they did when I was starting out. Imagine that...

PPS. No, I'm not trading my kit with yours!

Those drums sound surprisingly good, your tuning skills are really excellent.

Or maybe it's just the touch of a very good drummer?

Great stuff as always Wavelength. Like already said the drums sound really great, thanks to excellent tuning and some sweet playing. I especially like the 22" dry light, really leaves a lot of room between the notes and sounds totally awesome.

Damn that's some fine grooves and great sounding drums. I, too, love the snare. I think the 5x14 Acro will be my next snare buy.

FYI, the player make the kit sound greater ;-)

Back