Maybe you've seen this interview?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Found this great video with Abe Laboriel, Jr. on YouTube tonight from four months ago and it's easy to see why he's one of the best on the scene. Please sit and watch all of it, it's very insightful. But what was very cool was when he talked about the new generation of (and this is my term) Youtube drummers. He actually called the act of being able to do these really physically incredible things on the drums, masturbatory (I am SO stealing this phrase!).

And I related, being the groover that I am. But it was interesting when he described it as "Knowing how to do all this stuff, but not knowing WHY you're doing it", and he attributed that fact to too many drummers NOT playing music with others. He totally advised that if you play, you need to play with other musicians, because this will dictate why you do what you do. Very cool guy. I'm even trying to learn how to play using his sticks, which are much thicker and longer than what I'm used to (and I've never been that much of a fan of anybody to do that). Check it out here:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I like his epiphany there is more to life than just "music"-just fill in that blank with any occupation when it becomes to central (that fed into his tunnel vision in music he talked about later). I think that increases your longevity in any career cause you find balance. And his experience being next to so many great musicians because of his Dad. All those influences had a great outcome in Abe. I love it-masturbatory -I call it "mental masterbation". Seems so laidback, warm, humble, and fun man to hang with. I to agree with Bo about playing with other musicians-sad so many aren't able to now. I think if just play along with music-you follow, then to you can go any fanciful way your heart desires without any objective peer to tell you "That sounds like crap". When I play alone I tend to go wilder-playing with others just opposite-keep in my lane.

Last edited:

tfgretsch

Found this great video with Abe Laboriel, Jr. on YouTube tonight from four months ago and it's easy to see why he's one of the best on the scene. Please sit and watch all of it, it's very insightful. But what was very cool was when he talked about the new generation of (and this is my term) Youtube drummers. He actually called the act of being able to do these really physically incredible things on the drums, masturbatory (I am SO stealing this phrase!).

And I related, being the groover that I am. But it was interesting when he described it as "Knowing how to do all this stuff, but not knowing WHY you're doing it", and he attributed that fact to too many drummers NOT playing music with others. He totally advised that if you play, you need to play with other musicians, because this will dictate why you do what you do. Very cool guy. I'm even trying to learn how to play using his sticks, which are much thicker and longer than what I'm used to (and I've never been that much of a fan of anybody to do that). Check it out here:

BO thank you for sharing this video, this is like giving another drummer a gift !!,,great contibution to this forum !!

BruceW

I agree with the smiling...I just love the fact that he's smiling the whole time. There is a joy to playing drums, and its evident watching him.

(Of course, if you get to play in Paul McCartney's band, you ought to be smiling)

I can't do "serious musician face" either...anytime I see photos that people take of us when we're playing, I always have some sort of grin or smile on my face.

The fact that he's such a great drummer, makes it even more fun.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I love Abe’s playing and attitude.

Plus, he’s backed McCartney multiple times. How fun would that be?

Here’s a “one and only” live take in the studio years ago. CD-quality audio with lame but authentic camera work.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I think if just play along with music-you follow, then to you can go any fanciful way your heart desires without any objective peer to tell you "That sounds like crap". When I play alone I tend to go wilder-playing, with others...it's just the opposite: I keep in my lane.
So true!!

We "serve the song" when playing with others & their time is valuable to not only them, but us.
I'd love 10 minutes with Abe just talking music. I'd soak it in like a sponge.

Icetech

Gold Member
Thanks for posting this, i didn't realize how long Abe has been around... I love playing along with him, tons of fun.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
It’s so rare that I agree with someone so much on so many aspects of drumming and music. Thank you so much for sharing this. It was very refreshing.

rhumbagirl

"I know what you think you want, but I also know what you really need". That was golden! As a hobbyist drummer with a day job, I've found most of my gigs serving the part that comes in at the last minute to fill a need for a gig in a few days, or sometimes on the spot. Having experienced that "full circle", where other musicians think they know where the groove or tempo is in the song, or even the volume, and they eventually come back to what you really were thinking, THAT'S what drives you to do the work, the work to make the difference between success and catastrophe. Because sometimes, we drummers do get the groove wrong, for whatever reason. But it doesn't necessarily mean we don't know what we're doing.