Maybe I am old but I just don’t understand this

I see this as a more data/less data thing.

Do I want more data or less data?

I saw a thread recently where a forum member was critical of others searching and reviving old threads.

I have seen many posts on this forum over the years where someone has posted a topic and received responses advising the OP to do a search before posting a thread topic that already exists.

Now we have what appears to be forum members (not moderators) seemingly wanting to control the content of what topics can and can’t be broached here.

Correct me if I’m wrong but there’s no rule stating that we have to read and respond to every thread.

Maybe try what I do- if a topic doesn’t interest me or if I find the topic meaningless, I just back out and go on with my life.

This is an Internet forum covering drums and drumming. It’s nothing more, nothing less. Take it easy, everyone.

I am not a regular poster but have been an active reader on this forum for many years. Some of the stuff I’ve been seeing on here lately has me thinking of taking the exit door. Take from that what you will.

Hope everyone has a great day and an even better weekend.

I think I understand the difference now. Your first post was interpreted by me as negatively viewing people who are venting about being unhappy with a product or a company. I want to know if a company has done right or has screwed someone over. I think you are talking more about the recent Sonor thread and ones similar to that where the OP drags the thread on and on. My mistake.

Exactly -glad We got that cleared up

Is this a forum food fight?. Good or bad I need a forum to get advice on particular cymbals gear etc. This info is priceless to me. Food fights?..i just duck and run.

The way I see it is why get angry with others? That's like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die.

IF this ever works, I'm running out to buy a case of poison...from my local independent poison shop, not some large, corporate online poison retailer of course.

? :D? I don’t understand why some of you guys are getting so prickly about inoffensive threads that you clearly find meaningless, not to mention annoying? It’s pretty easy; leave the thread/don’t participate... :unsure:

And that, Mr. Strange, cuts to the very core of braving the thorny thicket of forum discourse. If a discussion strikes your fancy, explore it and perhaps even participate in it, but if it ignites repulsion or dismay, abstain from further investigation and proceed with vital business. You can't reform the world you live in, but you can control the way you relate to it.

? :D? I don’t understand why some of you guys are getting so prickly about inoffensive threads that you clearly find meaningless, not to mention annoying? It’s pretty easy; leave the thread/don’t participate... :unsure:
You ah..demoanstadate..great wisdom grasshoppah..and I'm not being sarcastic

Does Technology create more problems than it has solved? One thing I have noticed in the real world and in Cyberplace..people don't have patience anymore. I agree why bag someones business on the net. the net doesn't care..

Feeling the need to control another's opinion always baffled me.

The story of 2 blind men and the elephant applies here.

A 3rd guy asks both men what an elephant feels like.

The first blind man says an elephant feels like a big thick heavy wrinkly water hose

The second blind man says an elephant feels like a piece of rope with a tassel on the end

Imagine someone trying to tell you one thing when you clearly know differently. Well that's exactly what needs to be done. It ain't easy lol.

It's kind of like NEWSFLASH, there are way more wildly different perspectives...other than our own, and generally speaking, all equally valid, by virtue of completely different perspectives. The original person can't imagine that. It's not their fault. The moral of the story is to be open to others perspectives....without getting all butthurt. Because there are an infinite number of perspectives.

Discounting that fact is irresponsible and creates problems all around

..there are way more wildly different perspectives...other than our own, and generally speaking, all equally valid, by virtue of completely different perspectives..

But there is also something called knowledge and facts..

I know this thread started because of gear and i am someone who could not care less about gear, but regarding “perspectives” in general, i strongly disagree with that statement..

Example, if Peter Erskine teaches something about timekeeping and a mediocre hobbyist advocates the opposite, would you really say both “perspectives” are equally valid..?

To me such amateur “perspectives” are nothing more than an opinion, based on nothing at all..

To me, on this forum, the perspectives from decent pro players or pro teachers (the ones whose playing can be found and seen somewhere) have quite some more value than the perspectives from anyone else..

The thread title is a slur against ‘old’ people.
Actually, it may be the other way around, Beet.
IMO the vast majority of "slurs" on this forum seem to be against young people.

As for venting, if we can't vent here where can we vent? My wife doesn't want to hear about a tom that just won't resonate properly no matter what head is used. Maybe we just need a category called "VENTING" that all such threads can go into. That way, people who take exception to them can just avoid them altogether.

Example, if Peter Erskine teaches something about timekeeping and a mediocre hobbyist advocates the opposite, would you really say both “perspectives” are equally valid..?

When it's framed like that, no. Me using the term "equally valid" above is subjective so not valid here. My bad. I shouldn't have said it like that. Wildly different is closer to what I want to say, right or wrong notwithstanding. There is more than one way to the waterfall, and while Peter Erskine's truth is valid, there are other just as valid truths. Maybe not from mediocre hobbyists. Travis Barker's truths are no less valid than Peter Erskines though, just from a different perspective. There's exceptions to everything, no exceptions lol. Acceptance of stuff I'm initially averse to with has become an increasingly valuable tool in my life. Which blind man was "right"? Both of them. It's clear that one blind man trying to change the other blind mans mind is a waste of time. However, if someone does waste their time doing that, they should be heard fully and the facts weighed before disregarding it completely.

Last edited:
BUT...not if the system is contrived of anything other than a perspective situational antithesis with a marginal if not dillusional approach to one or the other.

I may be middle-aged, but I just don't understand young people. (I've forgotten the incredible angst I felt at 15.)
I may be young, but I just don't understand how my grandma can stand to watch "Golden Girls" reruns over and over again. (Even though I've watched The Weeknd's new video a hundred times already.)
I may be old, but I liked it better when we just had 45s, and videos weren't even a thing yet. (Even though I've watched Vinnie in "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You" at least once a week for the past 8 years.)

Are these slurs? Really?
Where is the "bad thinking" in OP feeling that people are too quick to air their grievances? I don't agree with OP at all, but I don't see the "bad thinking" in the way he framed the post. IMO we are too quick to call "slur" these days, whether its reactions to "I may be old" or reactions to another thread asking about "favorite female drummers."

Okay. I'm ready to get flamed now.

I came here for a good argument. An argument isn't just contradiction. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. No it isn't!

Last edited:
. I mean seriously deal with the Company yourself , let the Company have the opportunity to make amends and fix their oversight.

No. Never. I’ve been waiting decades to bag on companies in online spaces for the way they abuse customers. That’s a big part of what the internet is FOR, Rick. Empowering the little guy against the big guy. If I pay my money, I get to talk about the result online. Choices...have...consequences. I work roughly 1 million times too hard for my money (hauling heavy ladders up steep hills, going in nasty crawl spaces, dealing with biting dogs, dealing with crazy customers) to put up with unnecessary QC issues. Blessings, Rick. I wish you will on this complete fail of a journey.

Back