Maybe I am old but I just don’t understand this

RickP

Gold Member
I see more and more people taking to forums to complain about some slight or defect in workmanship ship rather than just dealing with it themselves . Is it that they need validation from forum members that they are doing the right thing
Is it because they are angry and want to spread their vitriol with the company or store to a larger market ? I just don’t get it .

If so have a problem with something I purchased , I deal with it in a polite and respectful manner . Sure there are instances when I have got angry with store or company but I still deal with it on my own . I don’t need to have people validating my anger or piling on with negative experiences ( most that have nothing to do with my issue ).

MntnMan62

I think you are witnessing one of the many negatives of the internet. People seem to lose the ability to think for themselves and instead seek the opinions of others in order to make their decisions for them. This is everywhere and about everything. It's quite sad actually. And it explains why the US, and maybe other places, are in the situation they find themselves.

Old Dog new Cans

Maybe it's inexperience. Maybe they truly need help trying to figure out what to do. The internet makes it easy to get quick responses usually.

Other times, I want people to know that I had problems. That way they don't deal with the same.

Nothing wrong with venting. Hell, if I didn't sound off on the 2 forums I'm a member on, I'd have no one listening to my a$$. ?‍♂️

But, when it comes down to it, I don't ask others for help with decisions. I usually just like to gripe and vent.

It IS a, forum.

MntnMan62

Maybe it's inexperience. Maybe they truly need help trying to figure out what to do. The internet makes it easy to get quick responses usually.

Other times, I want people to know that I had problems. That way they don't deal with the same.

Nothing wrong with venting. Hell, if I didn't sound off on the 2 forums I'm a member on, I'd have no one listening to my a$$. ?‍♂️

But, when it comes down to it, I don't ask others for help with decisions. I usually just like to gripe and vent.

It IS a, forum.

Griping and venting is different from using a forum to help you make decisions. The ones @RickP is talking about are those where it's obvious that the poster is uncertain of what to do and is opening seeking guidance to help them make a decision.

Bozozoid

There are slight defects and there is blatant disregard for customers who spend hard earned dough shipping instruments that are not even worthy of being sold at a pawn shop. THAT makes my blood boil and anyone in the way is in the way of a freight train. I LIKE taking care of things personally but it's usually regrettable on my part. I am thee nicest guy in the world.....UNTIL

Old Dog new Cans

Yes it's one thing to deal with "problems" in a polite and respectful manner. But then there's getting screwed over because, as Bozozoid said, "instruments not even worthy of being sold at a pawn shop." This is huge problem. If I don't get what was described by the seller, I certainly sorely disappointed.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I see more and more people taking to forums to complain about some slight or defect in workmanship ship rather than just dealing with it themselves . Is it that they need validation from forum members that they are doing the right thing
Is it because they are angry and want to spread their vitriol with the company or store to a larger market ? I just don’t get it .

If so have a problem with something I purchased , I deal with it in a polite and respectful manner . Sure there are instances when I have got angry with store or company but I still deal with it on my own . I don’t need to have people validating my anger or piling on with negative experiences ( most that have nothing to do with my issue ).
People are needy and assign disproportionate importance to minor things. I'm with you, if I have an issue, I'll resolve it and move on. When it comes to something I purchased, I've always been successful with the polite and respectful approach. I'm not interested in blaming or flaming anyone.

Sakae2xBopster

The complaints I see in forums tend to be big ones, and I'm glad to know about them. For the little stuff, it's easy enough to skip over a thread.

roncadillac

I currently have a thread going along these exact lines. I hope made it evident in this case that I did try several avenues of resolution on my own prior to starting said thread. I did so more to share my experiences and in the process was given several helpful suggestions, one big suggestion in particular that lead to immediate resolution. I remained polite and calm, several times I mentioned taking accountability back on myself, and openly avoided several instances where I could have been a 'karen' but instead took the high road.

If I had come on and just said "so and so sucks, they make crappy drums" and left it at that.. that would be a totally different story and do agree that far too many of those threads exist.

A good example is social media. So many people jump to facebook (for example) to complain about a company and/or product without ever giving the company a chance. The sad part is, it works and is almost becoming expected customer service platform. I don't agree with it but it does in fact work.

I don't think anyone is ever too old nor young to be pissed off about spending hard earned money on junk and not having a company back it.

Last edited:

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Back in the day--many decades before the internet when the crust of the earth was hardening--most of us purchased locally or from a shop who we had an established relationship with and we knew one another on a first name basis. If there was any sort of an issue you knew exactly who to go talk to and seek resolution. The internet to a large degree--but not totally--has stripped away personal relationships in the business process. Also an overgeneralization, the digital age has stripped away meaningful, personal relationships with people in general and how to conduct one's self in a decent, professional manner when things do go wrong.

C.M. Jones

A drummer's forum is a platform for drumming-related discussions. Gear defects are consistent with that assignment, as are potential resolutions. We're here to support each other. So long as a thread is focused on solving problems instead of launching libelous charges, I see nothing wrong with a drummer's decision to consult his or her cronies during a time of anguish or dejection. Assistance and reassurance are the best resources the Internet can provide.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The way I see it is why get angry with others? That's like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die.

Some people, depending on where they are on the journey, like asking and answering those kinds of questions. I'm grateful for DW as it has something for all skill levels/awareness. I'd like to think that we are as accommodating to total beginners asking for the 50 millionth time "what is the best head" question, to the seasoned pros we have here. If DW went away tomorrow, yea I would be sad about that. We're all equal here, just at different points along the line. For the older entrenched members here, I see it like raising kids. It's our duty to be kind to them. At the risk of being a bit exaggerated, the thread example you gave, it's a bit like tolerating a child for example. They are way newer to this and will ask eye rolling questions. That's OK, that's one of the most important missions here, to provide a safe haven for beginner questions. To be drumming ambassadors.

Rick the impression I'm getting, which could be wrong, is that your wealth of experience, with all due respect, has maybe jaded you a bit. It's kind of natural. I think jaded thoughts too. But I know that there are better thoughts that can be substituted. I can do better than that. Jaded-ness, thinking about it, seems to me like it's based in superiority. Downing others...never works. The opposite of that works.

Young people today have a wealth of great tools we didn't. It's not fair to hold that against them. It sounds exactly like sour grapes to our precious youth, and they resent that. It's good to allow them to teach us and to bring us up to speed. I do agree that I wish people would form their own opinions based on their own due diligence. Maybe this is the way it's done today, take the consensus. I mean why not? What's to lose? Nothing, with everything to gain. Ask the audience, the answers are usually right. Saves time, the mantra of today.

Rick I have a ton of respect for everything you say, you know what you speak of.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I concur. Sadly, this is a part of the current “cancel culture” we live in. Someone has a bad experience, and rather than get it dealt with and fixed, they rally others on the internet to shine a bad light on a company or business, and in effect, influencing others to not buy their products. It makes people feel good to be part of a mob, I suppose.

It’s amazing when I go online and see how many small businesses are just destroyed when people gang up on them via something as innocuous as Yelp.

Fritz Frigursson

I concur. Sadly, this is a part of the current “cancel culture” we live in. Someone has a bad experience, and rather than get it dealt with and fixed, they rally others on the internet to shine a bad light on a company or business, and in effect, influencing others to not buy their products. It makes people feel good to be part of a mob, I suppose.

It’s amazing when I go online and see how many small businesses are just destroyed when people gang up on them via something as innocuous as Yelp.
well if a drum has bad QC then i think it’s right that people know of it. i do not condone cancel culture but i don’t think it really applies here. if a brand made a faulty kit, it should be known. forums also exist to aid others who you share something in common with, what would a forum be without any discussion?

NouveauCliche

A drummer's forum is for drumming-related discussions. Gear defects are consistent with that assignment, as are potential resolutions. We're here to support each other. So long as a thread is focused on solving problems instead of launching libelous charges, I see nothing wrong with a drummer's decision to consult his or her cronies during a time of anguish or dejection. Assistance and reassurance are the best resources the Internet can provide.

+1

I don't think there's any reason to sugar coat our experiences with the drums we purchase - if XY company produces XY defects - it's on them...not on us to hide this for some reason.

You gotta make quality products in today's world....especially if you're talking about XY mass produced product. If it was a custom builder or something handmade (A&F kind of falling in between) - I'm 99% less inclined to share complaints. If it's XY company that's made hundreds of thousands of kits: They shouldn't give me anything to complain about.

prokofi5

While most companies probably want to provide a quality product and a good value they are under constant pressure to cut costs and increase profits. Everyone complains about everything being chinese junk, but they forget every single thing that says "made in china" was contracted, imported, distributed, etc. by an company trying to save a buck. If someone has an issue I want to hear about it. You'd have to give me an example of someone whining needlessly.

C.M. Jones

+1

I don't think there's any reason to sugar coat our experiences with the drums we purchase - if XY company produces XY defects - it's on them...not on us to hide this for some reason.

You gotta make quality products in today's world....especially if you're talking about XY mass produced product. If it was a custom builder or something handmade (A&F kind of falling in between) - I'm 99% less inclined to share complaints. If it's XY company that's made hundreds of thousands of kits: They shouldn't give me anything to complain about.

Absolutely. It's all about being constructive and grounded. Making wild accusations that have no substantive basis should always be discouraged, but engaging in candid discussions about the demonstrable failings of products or services is not only permissible but sometimes a duty. If companies don't want poor reviews, customer satisfaction should be their ultimate priority.