Max Weinberg (Springsteen)?

EleanorGrace

I couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread for 'Mighty Max' Weinberg! Well there is one in General Discussion but I couldn't find one here. Great drummer with amazing stamina. Difficult to pick one tune but Candy's Room is absolutely made by the drumming.

He also drums on my favourite festive song, All Alone On Christmas by Steven Van Zandt, sung by the superb Darlene Love. I always air drum to it, I love the five beats at 1:24, the perfect fill for the song. VidMate

Last edited:

yammyfan

I really like Max Weinberg. He's got a great swing to his playing.

I regularly practice Springsteen's "Lonesome Day" to work on my swing. It's harder than it sounds.

One of my biggest influences as far as my own style goes. While Phil Collins and Bill Bruford are my two favorite drummers to listen to, Max and Ringo (and Bill Berry) were my gurus as far as the more minimalist approach goes. And I learned how to play quarter notes with my right, rather than eighths--which was surprisingly hard for young me--because I wanted to play the Stax-ish groove of "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out."

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Ummm...love Max’s personality. For real. His technique? Wow. No. Giving yourself carpal tunnel is NOT my goal in life. Thanks, but no thanks.

Sakae2xBopster

He has (or "had", before Covid) a great show where he would scroll a couple hundred songs up on a screen and audience members would shout out what they wanted his band to play. Great stories in between, too. Saw him perform early last year in Florida.

acsunda

Probably due to my age, I first saw Max Weinberg as band leader on Conan when I was in high school. I instantly fell in love with his style. It was only in my 20's that I became a Springsteen fan. He seems so at ease and graceful. He makes everything he does look effortless.

LiveandDangerous

Love Weinberg, Candy's Room is one of my favourite drum songs of all time, hell of a workout on the arms/wrists too.

I picked up an album recently, Max Weinberg Presents Let There Be Drums, where Weinberg picks his favourite drum songs from each decade and writes a little essay about them in the sleeve notes, fascinating.

NouveauCliche

I couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread for 'Mighty Max' Weinberg! Well there is one in General Discussion but I couldn't find one here. Great drummer with amazing stamina. Difficult to pick one tune but Candy's Room is absolutely made by the drumming.

He also drums on my favourite festive song, All Alone On Christmas by Steven Van Zandt, sung by the superb Darlene Love. I always air drum to it, I love the five beats at 1:24, the perfect fill for the song. VidMate

Max is a decent player with a wonderful career. We should all be so lucky.