Max Stax

Now im a huge fan of Mike Portnoy, and wanted to create my set similiar to the left side of his albino monster..Very expensive..especially the stax. Are the stax really worth it? Ive seen many get a stagg splash and china and stack them..it would be a lot cheaper..but im not sure. Any ideas? I would like to get the actual stax, but i havent come to a decision yet.

Choose the pair of Stagg cymbals carefully, and you can get yourself several sets of the same quality as Portnoy's for the price of one. I built myself a Stagg mini hi hat with an 8" Myra splash on bottom, and 8" SH splash on top; those two lines go very well together.

Fox.

Oh okay thats cool. Do you think if i put an 8" Stagg DH China on top of an 8" Stagg SH splash, that would sound good? I already have the splash

Oh okay thats cool. Do you think if i put an 8" Stagg DH China on top of an 8" Stagg SH splash, that would sound good? I already have the splash

If I'd make a stack, it'd be a 10", but depending on the exact cymbals you got, that could sound very, very good, even at 8". It's a great combination for a trashy sound.
Try at the store before buying, though! Mix different lines of chinas with your splash.

Fox.

Back