Mastersound vs. New beats?

Leftie117

Just wanting people's thoughts on both Zildjian A mastersound and new beats. I'm looking for a fairly thin sounding pair of hats that can take a beating, and these are the cheapest, most suggested hats that I can find at the moment. Please share personal opinions and experiences, so I can better judge which to spend the money on. So far on C-list I've found a pair of used mastersound 13"s for $140 and used new beats for $150.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I own 14" versions of both. If my personal preference is worth anything (and lord knows it probably ain't)......New Beats all the way.

To my ear, they are just a far more versatile and all round musical pair of hats. I honestly find my MS to be quite harsh and aggressive sounding. That doesn't necessarily discredit them altogether, they are perfect for some situations. But I've found the New Beats just fit in so many more playing applications. They work pretty much anywhere.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I agree with PFOG. I love the Mastersounds, but if I were to have to choose between the two I'd choose the more versatile pair. And for what it's worth, I don't prefer the rippled hats (either Zildjian MS or Paiste Sound Edge) in 13". The only sizes I'd even consider would be 14 or 15 inch. New Beats sound OK in 13" though. I can't say why, really. It is just personal preference.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Agreed. Mastersounds do aggressive really well, but bashing an open pair of New Beats more than scratches that itch, so why bother with hats that can't be backed off as much or nearly as well?

New Beats FTW

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wouldn't describe Mastersounds as thin in any way.

In fact if you want thin, I'd stay away from New Beats too, as some are known to sound clangy. Clangy and thin are kind of opposite in my mind. New Beats are the better choice from the 2 choices given IMO, but I'm not sure that what you say you want....and what you are considering...I'm not sure those are good choices based on your criteria.

When I hear someone say they want thin, I don't think of New Beats. I think of the hats I like. I really go for thinner hats that are high pitched, with a great high pitched bark...but not smaller than 14". Soultone "Vintage" series or "Vintage Old School 1964" series is what I think of when you say thin.

Now I'm guessing you probably never heard them before...but if your definition of thin and mine are similar....all I can say is I am in hi hat heaven with my Soultones. Truly thin hi hats, zero clang, fast speaking and extremely finely lathed. You can hear them, along with their other series of cymbals, online at www.Soultone.com. I'm not a paid endorser in any way. I just love their hi hats.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
New Beats.

They are quite beefy though.

If you're looking for thin, I would look into some K's instead.

KamaK

Platinum Member
You can't go wrong with New Beats.

Master sounds are good for music that needs a lot of sizzle. They are something I'd choose to use for a song or two in the studio, but not necessarily my default hat.

Leftie117

New Beats.

They are quite beefy though.

If you're looking for thin, I would look into some K's instead.
K's? I wish. Those are WAYY out of my price range, unfortunately. I like the kind of "thin" sound of the Zildjian A customs, but those are too expensive as well. Although I suppose ANYTHING would sound thin compared to the dinnerplate b8s. Is there a series from another company that sounds similar to the A's or K's but cheaper?

Superman

Gold Member
New Beats are great..not thin but they are very versatile. I think you can do better than $150. I have 70's ghost logo ones and I've seen them pop up a few time recently for around $100.

MikeM

Platinum Member
So you're not considering used? If you were, you could get almost anything you wanted for less than New Beats brand new.

While New Beats (medium over heavy) may be beefy compared some of the K and A Customs (medium-thin over medium), they're still lighter than Quick Beats (medium-heavy over heavy), Rocks (heavy over extra-heavy), and are right in the same weight class as standard K hats (also medium over heavy). These weight classifications are straight from Zildjian's own literature. Though the exact gram weights vary by quite a lot within each model, these generalities are close enough IMO.

You can verify this on your own, make a little chart, then go to the Sabian, Paiste, Meinl, and all the Turkish makers' website with that info and do some real comparing. Not a bad idea to go to mycymbal.com and record their posted gram weights for the cymbals they have in their videos to get a more apples-to-apples comparison.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I own 14" versions of both. If my personal preference is worth anything (and lord knows it probably ain't)......New Beats all the way.

To my ear, they are just a far more versatile and all round musical pair of hats. I honestly find my MS to be quite harsh and aggressive sounding. That doesn't necessarily discredit them altogether, they are perfect for some situations. But I've found the New Beats just fit in so many more playing applications. They work pretty much anywhere.
So I mess around with a few different sets of hats. Got the NBs, the A MSs and a pair of 13" (K top over A QB bottom) and a pair of old Zildjian 16" A crashes for the big and sloshy.

I agree that the New Beats are the most versatile. You can rock them without overpowering a smaller room. My 13's are for fast and tasty stuff and I like their closed stick sound the best out of all my hats. The 16's are for a Steve Jordan open and crashy kind of feel but they are very thin sounding for chicks and closed sticking. I really only use them in my practice room.

My A Master Sounds are perfect for everything that requires a cutting, slightly louder, in the mix hat sound. They sound a bit harsh when opened up a little with quieter music but..

.. they ALWAYS get it done live for me. I don't have to overplay them to move the band forward and they sizzle just right. I tried my NB top on the MS bottom and it was OK but not great.

If I had to keep only one set, it would be my Master Sounds.

mikyok

Platinum Member
As someone has mentioned already, you could get a used pair of new beats. I'd pick up a mastersound bottom hat which are really easy to come by as people go through top hats on soundedges/mastersounds like they're going out of fashion!

Then you have two sets of hi hat in your cymbal bag so you can change your hat sound accordingly. I know Zildjian did a 15" A/K 3 cymbal hi hat set, not sure if they still do.

I use 15" hats as I find they're the most versatile but they're a mongrel pair, but for thin hats that can take a beating I have a 13" pair of Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Hats, they're beautiful for the size, dark/sloshy (wish I had a 15" pair) only thing that lets them down it they get lost in the mix a little when the rest of the band cranks up.

coolhand1969

I have a set of early 70's New Beats, which I got a great price on off ebay. New Beats may be the most versatile HH's ever made. In a situation where I needed absolute volume, I used the New Beat top and an old Paiste 802 Plus series. I do love the New Beats I have and would never sell them.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
New Beats or Mastersound? As a long time Zildjian user (50 years and counting) I've owned several sets of New Beats (14" & 15"), Quick Beats (14" & 15"), and "K" Mastersounds in 14," my current setup. In truth, you cannot go wrong with any of them. I think that with 13" hats I would probably go with the New Beats.

Another poster mentioned Soultone hi hats, and I like those very much, too. Most of the Soultone cymbals are just phenominal. But even buying used, you are going to pay faaaar more for them than Zildjians.

GeeDeeEmm

MikeM

Platinum Member
Thanks for the advice!! I just ordered a used pair of 14" New Beats!! Now for a new crash.....
A wise choice. I think you're going to like them, though keep in mind they may take some getting used to after what you've been playing. I've been playing for a few decades now and have cycled thru many different hats from most major makers over the years but keep coming back to 14" New Beats, FWIW. Those and a pair of 15" NBs are all I own anymoe.