Mastering the Tables Of Time

moontheloon

Silver Member
anyone else have this book by David Stanoch?

I love it.... fantastic approach
and the accompaniment of the online video demonstrations is great

HIghly recommend it

the quote form Tony Williams that was the inspiration for the book...

"Its all in time. Don't do things faster; faster doesn't get you anywhere. You have to play in time, in context. Pick a meter and play it, double it then triple it. Do it in eight note triplets, sixteenth notes, sixteenth note triplets, thirty second notes, thirty second note triplets. Don't play arbitrarily faster or slower. It has to be in time. The goal is to play clearly. If you don't, you're not expressing yourself; you're not playing something people can hear. When I first recorded myself ...I realized you have to play things that are clear to you so they will be clear to somebody else."

anyone else have this book by David Stanoch?

I love it.... fantastic approach
and the accompaniment of the online video demonstrations is great

HIghly recommend it

the quote form Tony Williams that was the inspiration for the book...

"Its all in time. Don't do things faster; faster doesn't get you anywhere. You have to play in time, in context. Pick a meter and play it, double it then triple it. Do it in eight note triplets, sixteenth notes, sixteenth note triplets, thirty second notes, thirty second note triplets. Don't play arbitrarily faster or slower. It has to be in time. The goal is to play clearly. If you don't, you're not expressing yourself; you're not playing something people can hear. When I first recorded myself ...I realized you have to play things that are clear to you so they will be clear to somebody else."

Yes, and I'm a big fan. There have been several threads on this in the past, and Dave has chimed in from time to time. We've struck up a friendship because of the book, and he's asked me to post some responses for him now and again. You can always email him; the stuff in the book is his gig. It's his bag and he's usually champing at the bit to talk about it.

Yes, one of my favourite books. I don't necessarily practice the exact exercises in the book daily but I try to apply the time table 'system' to almost everything I practice. I plan to go through whole book eventually. It will take some years though with my current practice schedule but I'm not in a hurry.

Haven't gotten the book yet, but from reading about it and watching his vids it sounds a lot like "my own" concepts, which means it must be good. lol

Back