Marvin "Smitty" Smith's Rudimental Ritual

MSwanson

I'm learning Marvin "Smitty" Smith's version of Alan Dawson's Rudimental Ritual, so I created a YouTube playlist from 80-155bpm to make it easier to practice.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Completely not in the loop on Dawson but my reading is okay. More used to reading four-limb coordination than two-handed rhythms around the toms LOL.

Question: How did you generate the audio for the transcription, as well as the transcription itself?
I'm imagining something like:
(a) Electronic drums fed into a DAW, then
(b) The track processed by ________ software to generate the transcription, and then maybe
(c) Software _________ to play transcriptions (in your video I can see a cursor moving on each quarter on each bar in the transcription).

Thanks

There's a paragraph in the description that describes the process I used. I'll paste it here too:

This transcription and video was made using Sibelius (http://www.sibelius.com) from Avid. The audio track was exported as MIDI from Sibelius and edited using Logic Pro X. The drum sounds are from Superior Drummer 3 (https://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-3/) by Toontrack and were selected because their crisp, fast attack makes it easier to hear the individual strokes. The final video was edited and exported from Adobe Premiere Pro.

You know I can read but sometimes I miss things. Given that, seems rather a condensed statement "This transcription and video was made using Sibelius (http://www.sibelius.com) from Avid". Can you give us a more detailed step by step? Thanks ~

I manually notated the notes in Sibelius using a computer keyboard and mouse (no instrument input). Then, I used their video export feature to create the raw video that includes the playhead that you see (one of the Sibelius tutorials shows the option). This would normally be enough, but I wanted more control over the sounds, so I also exported the MIDI from Sibelius and imported it into Logic Pro X to modify the samples. Finally, I exported audio from Logic Pro X and brought it into Adobe Premiere to merge the Sibelius raw video output with the improved audio. The output is what you see on YouTube.

Well first, thanks for getting back to me, and second, THAT's impressive. I would be interested in solving the computer input part of the problem with you (and the others here that have say on it). Might this be the motivation for drummers to have electronic drums alongside their acoustic kits?

Question: Does Sibelius have the ability to create transcriptions from a drum track? I think I read once that Ableton Live 9 or later has this option. Anyone?

EDIT: I just realized my question is a loaded one. There is transcription of an acoustic drum track. The other is transcription from a MIDI track (or tracks) from an electronic drumset or trigger, which seems much more doable, especially with note quantization that's available with MIDI tracks. But I'm not an expert..

I actually play electronic drums (no way my neighbors would allow me to do otherwise). Since I can't play this piece yet, it was much easier for me to enter using mouse and keyboard. Even if I could play it, I'd probably rather use mouse and keyboard for accuracy. I wanted the notes to be quantized/perfectly timed, and with some of the odd timings, I wouldn't have wanted to go back and fix any mistakes I might have made trying to play it.

Avid has another product that can work with Sibelius called AudioScore, but I didn't try it. I've had mixed experience with products like this in the past, and again, I don't have a perfectly clean performance to notate. If it worked well, I agree that it would be fantastic! If others have tried, I'd be curious to hear about how well it works.

Back