Marking Time in Drumline with Different Time Signatures

Elijah116

Hi people,
I have a bunch of exercises that I have to play for drumline auditions and some of them are in 6/4 time and 12/8 time. When I mark time for them, should it still be every quarter note and if they are written as triplets then should I mark time every triplet or still every quarter?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Hi people,
I have a bunch of exercises that I have to play for drumline auditions and some of them are in 6/4 time and 12/8 time. When I mark time for them, should it still be every quarter note and if they are written as triplets then should I mark time every triplet or still every quarter?
Triplets are a division, not a time sig.

Mark on the quarter notes, and then use the connection with the little 3 if you want to denote triplet notes.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Unless doing a deliberately abstruse routine to score points, 6/4 is 6 steps, 12/8 is 4 steps.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Unless doing a deliberately abstruse routine to score points, 6/4 is 6 steps, 12/8 is 4 steps.
In terms of dancing, I think 12/8 steps really depend on the tempo. Could be anything from a Bolero/waltz, to a jig, salsa, meditative trance, polka... etc.

I personally prefer to emphasize the polyrhythmicity by counting to twelve and only emphasizing the one.