"Marching kit" finally complete

johnwesley

Silver Member
Been putting this together the last couple months and she's done. Sounds good and I think looks good too. It's a "Frankenstein" but how else you gonna get one?
22"x16" PDP bass
14"x10" Kent (rack tom) 1940's
15"x14" WFL (floor tom) with Keystone badge and faucet style T-rods 1930s
14"x5" oak/maple stave snare with Yamaha style wood hoops

Had been looking at the new PDP concept kit with wooden hoops, then got the idea to build my own utilizing vintage marching drums. Half the price of the PDPs.

Attachments

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Very cool !!!

I like it. But you wimped out on the snare. I would have used an old marching snare. I know the tone of most old marching snares is different than a normal modern drum set snare; but hey you should go all the way with this. (Maybe find an old marching bass drum too.)

Will you be selling this?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Thanks guys. Kind of nice to play a "small" kit for a change.

Very cool !!!
I like it. But you wimped out on the snare. I would have used an old marching snare. I know the tone of most old marching snares is different than a normal modern drum set snare; but hey you should go all the way with this. (Maybe find an old marching bass drum too.)

Will you be selling this?

Hollywood I considered a marching snare rather than my stave and could still do it. As for a "true" marching bass drum, I thought about that as well but got such a good deal on the PDP and putting my refinishing skills to use, it will do for now. I thought about selling but no one would give me enough.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
You gotta be kidding me posting that shit without audio examples of how it sounds.

You're killing me, smalls.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Very cool. I like it.

About the snare - you probably wouldn't want to do this,
but all it would take to get it to match better would be to stain the main body portion dark.
That would lower any re-sale value on the snare though.
And if you're playing it, most people wouldn't see the snare anyways.
It just shows up in pics better.

Anyways - nice job on a pretty different idea.

johnwesley

Silver Member
You gotta be kidding me posting that shit without audio examples of how it sounds.
You're killing me, smalls.
Doc, I'll try and get some audio via cell phone today and post through you tube unless I figure out another method. I can refinish/refurbish furniture/drums, and used to be really good at audio/video, however I've not kept up with newer technology.
BUT....I think the set sounds great.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Very nice! Do you have the requisite military uniform to wear while playing?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice job! I love the whole vibe, & I especially like the fact you've left the strap on the tom :)