Marathon session

So this Saturday night I have a gig with the Metallica tribute band I'm involved with and the venue (bar) owner wants us to play our entire 3.5 hour set with no breaks. In my 25 years of doing this I've never played that length of time without at least one breather. We politely objected to this, stating that for sets that long, especially for the genre of music we're playing and the smallish nature of the venue, the audience needs a break once in a while as much as the band does. We agreed that we'd put a couple of minutes of BS time as well as a minimally intrusive bass solo in between the sets. Any of you have any marathon gigs like this? How did you get through it? I'm planning on a LOT of Gatorade and stretching between songs. I'm 40 and not as spry as I used to be obviously so it's going to take some kind of toll.

sumdrumguy

I recently did something similar; on stage for over 4.5hrs. It was a Ukrainian wedding. We played a mix of classic rock, r&b, funk, and lots of Kolomayka (example). The latter just keep going until people stop dancing. 20-30 minutes is typical!

For prep... I drank lots of water, and ate lots of nutrient rich food (salads and fruit) pre-gig. I had water bottles, and containers of sliced apples, lined up behind my throne. I also took 2 extra ibuprofen right before we started :)

Good luck!

tcspears

Gold Member
Camelbak is an interesting idea!

Did the owner say why he didn't want any breaks??

I've definitely played 45 hour gigs without breaks, but they aren't fun, your mind starts to fatigue. Make sure you eat before hand and drink plenty of water.

The other thing is pay; if the owner is insisting on no breaks I think the band should ask for more money; you'll be playing more material and there will be a lot more stress on each of the members to maintain their energy levels.

philrudd

No breaks?

Geez, I agree with the advice to drink water, but my focus would be on what to do when all that water needs an exit...

Perhaps get the promoter to sign a contract with an indemnity clause RE: unavoidable soiling of stage area.

No breaks?

Geez, I agree with the advice to drink water, but my focus would be on what to do when all that water needs an exit...

Perhaps get the promoter to sign a contract with an indemnity clause RE: unavoidable soiling of stage area.
If we were playing Kenny G's greatest hits, I'd agree with you but I think I'll be sweating it all out. Does Kenny G even have enough hits to fill out 3 hours?

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I'm curious, why does the owner want no breaks? I've never heard of that ridiculous demand. Is s/he a sadist or something?

He wants an experience that's as close to authentic as possible, i.e. Being at an actual Metallica show where it's a straight set for however long they play these days. We have 3 one-hour long sets and he doesn't want the standard 15-20 minute breaks in between. Plus we are the only entertainment that night, no openers. I'm pretty sure we'll take short 5 minute piss breaks every now and then. If not I'm asking for more payola and a large gallon jug.

philrudd

If we were playing Kenny G's greatest hits, I'd agree with you but I think I'll be sweating it all out. Does Kenny G even have enough hits to fill out 3 hours?
Trick question, since everything Kenny G has produced is a hit. You'd need a two-night stand minimum to fit them all in.

But honestly, I'd never considered the sweat factor in mollifying the need to piss. I sweat buckets when I play, and have only just now recognized that I can't remember the last time (if ever) I had to hit the head whilst playing a set. I always figured that was a myth - you can't sweat out anything contained in your bladder, right? But I guess it diverts enough liquids from accumulating, so that would make sense.

Not the most pleasant topic but now I'm curious. Is there a urologist in the house?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
He wants an experience that's as close to authentic as possible, i.e. Being at an actual Metallica show where it's a straight set for however long they play these days. We have 3 one-hour long sets and he doesn't want the standard 15-20 minute breaks in between. Plus we are the only entertainment that night, no openers. I'm pretty sure we'll take short 5 minute piss breaks every now and then. If not I'm asking for more payola and a large gallon jug.
I saw Metallica once in the late '90s or early '00s and they play for a few hours, but with an intermission. So there, a break would be authentic. :)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you wanted to make it really authentic, when you get tired of playing, have the lead singer stand a little close to the pyro. You get the rest of the night off.

Sorry if this was a little dark...

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

No band plays 3.5 hours without a break. It's impossible.

Tell him to f*** off and get real

I agree with you. Quite ridiculous. But after further discussions with this gentleman, we convinced him that our set shall be divided into 3 hour long sets to give us and the audience a break. I'm still going to try out the Camelbak though.