Mapex White Widow

Here is the Mapex Black Widow for $1799 only Difference is the color. Another short floor tom kit. I do like the lugs on these kits. They are just a all Maple Saturn.

Ah! It's the Sticks4Drums signature model!

I'd imagine he has three already.
Yeah, but it's missing a bass drum and at least 6 toms in the classic NP configuration!

You know, I'm sure those are nice drums - and Mapex in general - but honestly, I could never own one as I see every Mapex as the S4D Sig model anymore. What a shame. At least it would be if I was ever on the market for another kit, which is doubtful.

Yeah, but it's missing a bass drum and at least 6 toms in the classic NP configuration!

You know, I'm sure those are nice drums - and Mapex in general - but honestly, I could never own one as I see every Mapex as the S4D Sig model anymore. What a shame. At least it would be if I was ever on the market for another kit, which is doubtful.

I have to admit, I had no negative association at all with Mapex until I joined this forum while Sticks was active. Now........

Here is the Mapex Black Widow for $1799 only Difference is the color. Another short floor tom kit. I do like the lugs on these kits. They are just a all Maple Saturn.

The lugs are different, the hoops are better, that transparent midnight finish on the black widow is an awesome lacquer color. I have a snare in that finish. It's beautiful. At $1799, that's a steal. Comes with all Ambassador suede heads. I'd buy that Black Widow kit before any Saturn kit and I own a Saturn kit!

Some of you guys really need to get over that sticks dude. Mapex makes really good drums.

The lugs are different, the hoops are better, that transparent midnight finish on the black widow is an awesome lacquer color. I have a snare in that finish. It's beautiful. At $1799, that's a steal. Comes with all Ambassador suede heads. I'd buy that Black Widow kit before any Saturn kit and I own a Saturn kit!

Some of you guys really need to get over that sticks dude. Mapex makes really good drums.
We debated buying the Black Widow kit before purchasing our Saturn's. My wife just fell in love with the Deep Water finish. Did not realize the hoops were different.

People buy mapex to avoid paying those prices (for sonor and the like) but if it's relative to the cost of building and supplying them they're not really any worse than dw or tama or sonor etc are they?

They definitely look the business.

People buy mapex to avoid paying those prices (for sonor and the like) but if it's relative to the cost of building and supplying them they're not really any worse than dw or tama or sonor etc are they?

A very elegant kit. Looks like a set of drums in a tuxedo :) That brushed nickel hardware looks terrific to me. I like that Mapex tries to be innovative and are constantly improving subtle aspects of their drums and hardware. They probably have the best tom mounts in the industry. They don't charge an arm and leg for their exotic lacquer finishes ( cough, cough... DW) and there is nothing cheap about their quality, fit and finish. Not mention, they generally supply their kits with the best sounding heads for that particular shell construction.

Attachments

• blk widow 1.jpg
    blk widow 1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 354
  • NAMM-2013-Mapex-Black-Panther-Black-Widow-5pc-Drum-Set-Transparent-Black-Lacquer.jpg
    NAMM-2013-Mapex-Black-Panther-Black-Widow-5pc-Drum-Set-Transparent-Black-Lacquer.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 442
Hurry - they are only making 30 of them!

On a serious note, I do kind of wonder why they are so much more expensive than Saturns being that they are 100% maple....
Marketing. Some guy at Mapex crunched some numbers, and figures that at least 30 people worldwide will pay $3K for this limited ed. kit. Bragging rights and instant collectability (real and/or perceived) factor into this sort of stuff.​

Well, its definitely a value thing. You get a lot more for your money with the Saturn kit vs a Sonor Prolite, Yamaha Absolute Hybrid, DW Collectors, etc. But in addition to this, I think a lot of people are drawn to the Saturns for the Maple/Walnut shells. They produce a very pleasing tone. They don't make them anymore, but Saturns used to be offered in Birch/Walnut as well. Add in the burl finishes, by Alpi, without a massive price increase along with really pretty lacquer finishes and Mapex really knocks it out of the park with the Saturn kit.

I have said this about a thousand times on this site, but when compared to all the other kits I own and have ever owned, including my DW Collectors kit, my Saturn is the best built kit I have ever owned.

I know people like to make fun of Saturns, like the fact that "all roads lead to Saturn", or all of the worlds problems can be solved with "Mapex Saturn", but they really are that impressive and could easily shame kits that are twice their price.

I have to confess, I bought the black widow kit on MON before I even saw this thread. Fedex literally just dropped them here. Doing drum by drum inspection.

Nice! Now get those pics posted!

Don't have time tonite, have to work at 8pm. I did get the bass drum put together. I put some moleskin on batter side hoop top and bottom to protect from pedal rash. Kicked it a few times too! Sounds pretty nice.

There is a really small dent under the black panther's jaw on the badge of the 16x14. You can just make it out on the above picture as the white dot. I'm not that concerned about it. I'll try to find another badge or see if I can warranty it without sending the drum back. Everything else, shells, bearing edges, hoops, heads check out just fine. Beautiful kit. Can't wait to set them up and play them.

Cheers,
Todd

OH Man, awesome what a bargain. They are drop dead gorgeous. I have been watching that set for a year. Somewhat regretting not buying them. Im sure it found a happy home. Congratulation's

Back