Mapex Saturn V on offer I'm really tempted. Saturn owners assemble!

mikyok

Platinum Member
I've been looking for something in downbeat sizes and this has popped up in the January sales:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/mapex-saturn-v-tour-edition-3pc-shell-pack-20in-vintage-sparkle/905346

I was leaning towards a frequent flyer but I'm a bit put off by the price for what you get. But this is ticking a lot of boxes.

Has anyone got one that can give me an honest opinion. Been trying to find warts n all review but nobody seems to make anything bad anymore.

I think it’s a great kit but personally I would go for a 22” kick with a 16” floor. But you do you since some people like these sizes. It’s a great kit and a great price, recommend you get it.

I think it’s a great kit but personally I would go for a 22” kick with a 16” floor. But you do you since some people like these sizes. It’s a great kit and a great price, recommend you get it.

Method in the madness for downbeat sizes. I can fit the toms and snare into the Pearl Midtown holdall carry bag thingy m'bob. I have a spare 20" BD case as well. Means my load in isn't more than it needs to be.

If giggability wasn't the goal then I'd get grown up sizes!

The Saturn Tour drums are great. You'll be happy with that kit.

I bought a Saturn V 22/16/12/snare kit in November of 2017, and I love it, the best kit I have ever played. Peace and goodwill.

I have a Saturn 5 kit (22/10/12/16), and could not be happier.

Haven't looked at another woman, wait, sorry, kit, since getting the Saturns 2 years ago.

If you don't mind losing drum related GAS, get 'em.

And that is a classy looking finish.

She's pretty, I have owned one in 22,16,14,12,10 for around 4 years now and they are great. Quality is top notch with bearing edges as smooth as a baby's as!. You will be impressed for sure.

Have recently bought a Saturn "Manhattan" in 22,10,12,16 & so far love it.

Nice finish! I think that's a sparkle lacquer, not a wrap. I have a similar finish but in light blue on my Saturn III's.

I don't think I've heard the expression "downbeat sizes" before...

I don't think I've heard the expression "downbeat sizes" before...

Named after the Ludwig downbeat (same sizes) aka Ringos early Beatles kit until about 66 when he went to a superclassic (22/13/16).

...and that concludes today's history lesson :)

Saturn V is an outstanding kit build wise and sound wise. Very musical sounds. Robust pro-level build you can gig and tour with. They are heavier than comparable drums, in case weight is an issue they are not lightweights.

Saturn V is an outstanding kit build wise and sound wise. Very musical sounds. Robust pro-level build you can gig and tour with. They are heavier than comparable drums, in case weight is an issue they are not lightweights.

Indeed they are not. Especially a 22x20 bass drum in a Hardcase................

I've played a DW FF kit, and I'm not terribly impressed with the kick. I wish they would have made a 14" depth as opposed to the 12". I'm pretty sure that would have made a difference.

I've never heard a bad think about Saturns. Ever.

I've never heard a bad think about Saturns. Ever.

Well, not since the original Saturn Pros dies a much deserved death, anyway.

I took a chance on Mapex when they first hit the market by buying a new six-piece Saturn Pro kit. The fittings and hardware was quite good, but the shells SUCKED. I thought that I was a good enough tuner to make any drum set sound good - but not those. I owned them for three months.

So, Mapex redeemed themselves mightily with all subsequent Saturn kits, which have been some of the best drums made.

GeeDeeEmm

Well I've just ordered one, managed to find the 20/12/14 in the white marine wrap for £100 less than the original one I saw so £699 for a flagship line aint bad at all. I even got a further whopping 50p discount from some bags I bought last year :)

I did go to the local store yesterday which had a DW FF and it looked a bit meh in the flesh. Of all the usual crap the sales guy came out with he did say the FFs aren't even made in the US. Which raises the question, why are they so expensive when you get less wood and they ain't made in the DW factory.

They had some Saturn V exotics which looked very nice but the bass drum was too deep and there was too many toms.

Will post piccies when it gets here. If the 20x14 is vaguely near the same solar system as Andy's walnut tour series I heard at the UK drum show a couple years back I'll be happy!

Thanks for the honest opinions folks, much appreciated!

Well the new tubs showed up. Ridiculously well wrapped and protected, I filled my car with cardboard and bubble wrap and had to do a tip run to get rid of it.

Very impressed with build quality, shells and bearing edges are very nice. So resonant! The tom mount is crazy heavy and the floor tom legs are a bit on the long side.

Tuned itself, the finish in the photos doesn't do it justice. Only mod I made was to put a ported reso head on as they sent 2 PS4 heads with kick patches. (and didn't really like the big Mapex logo on the front head.

Packed it down to these cases so it's gonna be a doddle to transport.

Attachments

• Mapex 1.jpg
    Mapex 1.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 152
  • Mapex 2.jpg
    Mapex 2.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Mapex 3.jpg
    Mapex 3.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 153
  • Mapex 4.jpg
    Mapex 4.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Mapex 5.jpg
    Mapex 5.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 148
Well done!

Those drums look ridiculously classy.

Cheers man!

See you're after a smaller gigging kit. These seem to be on offer on a lot sites. So impressed with the sound of the shells. Any of the saturn tour wraps look the mutts nuts. This was just the cheapest on offer.

Haven't a clue what they sell for down under.

Back