Mapex Saturn V - impressed with finish

Cpb19

Hi all, based on bang-for-buck and sound, my daughter decided on Mapex Saturn Vs (it ended up being a toss up between those and Tama starclassic).

When it came to finish, she really wanted the deep water burl exotic finish, but it wasn’t in stock, so she patiently waited for 4+ months.

In low light it could be on the dark side, but I caught it in natural light the other day and now I can see why she was set on them - it really is a beautiful finish.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got. Nothing earth-shattering.

F004C664-D471-4859-AC3C-44119312677E.jpeg

Cpb19

Thanks. It just so happens that they sound great too! She upgraded from a pearl roadshow (which she still uses for gigs, and which was a great starter set), so it was quite the upgrade.

Cpb19

Are you planning to get her some cases or bags?
We have a set of soft cases for the toms and a hard case that fits the bass, but the plan is to use the pearl roadshow for the bulk of the gigs as it is a smaller set and I also have to drag around a PA system, amps, guitar/bass, the band (my 3 kids), etc. But I know she’d prefer to use the saturns. This is only partially packed (pre drum set cases), so every inch counts. They should have taken up chess . . .

E6746BD5-7FAB-49F9-B863-A968DB7ACFF8.jpeg1BFAD548-CC76-4AFA-9A7B-0A3B6051D469.jpeg

IBitePrettyHard

We have a set of soft cases for the toms and a hard case that fits the bass, but the plan is to use the pearl roadshow for the bulk of the gigs as it is a smaller set and I also have to drag around a PA system, amps, guitar/bass, the band (my 3 kids), etc. But I know she’d prefer to use the saturns. This is only partially packed (pre drum set cases), so every inch counts. They should have taken up chess . . .

View attachment 89018View attachment 89019
Wow, so you're the roadie?

Perfect time to teach your kids to lift with their knees! :LOL:

Cpb19

The roadie and the funder. They’re getting there with helping, but the younger ones (10 and 11) need to put on some muscle.

IBitePrettyHard

The roadie and the funder. They’re getting there with helping, but the younger ones (10 and 11) need to put on some muscle.
Are you (or were you) a musician yourself? Does it run in the family? Regardless, you're a great and supportive parent.

Cpb19

I would not characterize myself as a musician. I played in bands (brass) from the age of 10 until about 20 and it was a big part of my life for a good portion of that time. Now I noodle around on a mandolin. That’s about it.

I figure I’d rather them do this than sit around on video games. And if they give it up I can sell the gear and get a good amount of the money back.

mikyok

Platinum Member
She chose wisely. A kit for life there. I love mine and the finish on mine is a wrap!

Well made and they sound amazing.

Wise choice taking the roadshow out as a gigging kit. I don't have to fit a bands worth of equipment in the car.