Mapex Saturn V EXOTIC blowouts happening!

I don't work for these guys but they have a stellar rep. BIG discounts on the exotic finish Saturn V's. Call 'em for best deal. 616.863.8927
Like I said CALL them for best deal. Especially if you don't need the cases! Ask for Matt.

Love my Saturn IVs, but I really like that exotic finish too. Great sounding drums.
Yep, Had a Saturn IV kit myself. Really liked it. The reason I started this thread was to alert people to what I felt was a great deal in that they could get $650 off ($1550 no bags) the minimum advertised price (MAP= $2199) for this config with the nicer finishes. You can't get a 5 piece Renown RN2 that cheap. Just maybe that puts it into a person's budget that couldn't previously afford them. Of course they're nice drums. Music Radar gave them a 5 star review when they came out. Anyway, it was PSA for what is obviously a great deal. Hope it helps someone.

That's a lot of kit for the money, over the drink in Blighty every January for the past couple of years they've done some crazy deals on the Saturn V Tour. Best bang for buck pro level kit out there.

I have a Saturn V Tour, they tune beautifully. The walnut plies make the drums sound bigger than they are.

So is the veneer on my Prolite kit. So what? I forgot how smug people can be on this forum. smh
I was not being smug , just stating a fact . Various drum companies Sonor included are not really forthright as to whether the veneers they are using are natural or not . Some of the Alpi veneers are beautiful ( like Sonor’s Simulated Rosewood and Ebony) others like Sonor’s Chocolate Burl are obviously not natural .
Mapex has long denied using Alpi Veneers which is the reason I pointed this out .
If you like a finish I agree who cares if it is real or not . Drum Companies should not try and give the impression that they are real when they are not .

I love the term Exotic from Mapex . The veneers on these kits are not even real actual veneers . They are engineered veneers from Alpi .

Every time I sat down on one of these I have been thoroughly impressed with the sound, cannot vouch for how good the hardware is but from visual inspection they are very nice. 1650 with bags seems like a good deal for a semipro to pro kit

I was not being smug , just stating a fact . Various drum companies Sonor included are not really forthright as to whether the veneers they are using are natural or not . Some of the Alpi veneers are beautiful ( like Sonor’s Simulated Rosewood and Ebony) others like Sonor’s Chocolate Burl are obviously not natural .
Mapex has long denied using Alpi Veneers which is the reason I pointed this out .
If you like a finish I agree who cares if it is real or not . Drum Companies should not try and give the impression that they are real when they are not .

We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether you were being smug or not.

It's a great deal on a good set of drums, no doubt. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll keep the rest of my comments to myself, I guess...

Last edited:
My only concern is that Mapex is overdue for a line revamp, so these blowout drums might mean they're on the way out. Fine if you get everything you want right now, but less awesome if you want extra drums later.

I ditched my Mapex Meridian kit because I couldn't get anything else for them.
Well they do have 3,4, and 5, piece configs available right now so I'd think anyone interested could pretty much get what they want. Again, teh point of the post was to alert people to the fact that a professional kit that normally sells for $2199 is now selling at $1550. That's it. It wasn't to argue the merits of different types of veneers. That has already been done ad nauseam on this forum. Could we at least move on to how ugly the badges are? RickP? :rolleyes:

I've seen it mentioned that these are discontinued kits? (Sorry, can't remember where I saw that) Any truth to that and if so what is coming to replace them? I ask because I may in the market for a new kit and I have been looking at these and the Pearl Session Select series.

The Saturn Evolution is the next model up so yeah, they're moving them out because of that and also it was a work from home promotion for their dealers to keep the smaller dealers afloat during the Covid 19 pandemic. Which is pretty cool if you think about it.

Yep, the Saturn Evolution is next up so it's a good time to get a Saturn if the new mounting system isn't to your taste or you like one of the current finishes or if this suddenly drops a pro level kit into your budget. Re the hardware, I see Saturn IIIs and other Mapex ranges in my local second hand drum store and never noticed any problems on them.
@mikyok drumshop.co.uk currently have in their Sale Club a new 22", 12", 16" Saturn V Tour in Black Pearl for a ridiculously low £665. Now if it had been the 24", 13", 16" I would have beenpressing the button on it and selling my current Saturn V to fund it.

That's great deal. It can be even cheaper if you don't want the bags they're giving you. Mapex makes some good stuff, I've never heard a bad Mapex kit whenever I see somebody play one. This is the most bang for buck deal out there.

Yep, the Saturn Evolution is next up so it's a good time to get a Saturn if the new mounting system isn't to your taste or you like one of the current finishes or if this suddenly drops a pro level kit into your budget. Re the hardware, I see Saturn IIIs and other Mapex ranges in my local second hand drum store and never noticed any problems on them.
@mikyok drumshop.co.uk currently have in their Sale Club a new 22", 12", 16" Saturn V Tour in Black Pearl for a ridiculously low £665. Now if it had been the 24", 13", 16" I would have beenpressing the button on it and selling my current Saturn V to fund it.

For the quality of kit you're getting that's a ridiculous price. Mine was £699 from Andertons for 20/12/14. Even without a discout they sell for £1000 which is still dirt cheap in terms of pro quality drums. Can't see why they'd discontinue the tour series, it ticks every box for a gigging drummer and visually those wraps are classy, mines the White Oyster Pearl.

I'm not a fan of the evolution mounting system just on looks, it makes the drum look goofy, nothing wrong with the soniclear mounts or Saturn III mounts. I keep thinking Geordie La Forge everytime I see the Saturn Evolution.

For the quality of kit you're getting that's a ridiculous price. Mine was £699 from Andertons for 20/12/14. Even without a discout they sell for £1000 which is still dirt cheap in terms of pro quality drums. Can't see why they'd discontinue the tour series, it ticks every box for a gigging drummer and visually those wraps are classy, mines the White Oyster Pearl.

I'm not a fan of the evolution mounting system just on looks, it makes the drum look goofy, nothing wrong with the soniclear mounts or Saturn III mounts. I keep thinking Geordie La Forge everytime I see the Saturn Evolution.
Has Mapex settled on a brand logo now? Or are they still trying different designs?

I've got a 10". 12", 14", 20"x16" with bass drum mount in the Blue/Red hybrid sparkle. But I'm hankering for a one up, one down and while that kit is incredibly inviting (let's be honest I could sell my current kit for close to that amount) if I'm going to make that move I might as well go the whole hog and get the 24". 13", 16". And White Oyster Pearl is an excellent choice.

Back