Mapex Saturn...the details

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm hunting around for a second kit to leave at the practice space where my band rehearses, every week. I was looking for something mid-range and am really drawn to Mapex Saturn. I've never played one of these kits, so I've been reading reviews, threads here, and watching videos on YouTube. From what I can gather, they're a great bang for the buck and sound great.

Now I'm down to the details, as I'm pretty picky. Some questions for Saturn owners:

- What kind of maple is used on the inner plies? Soft Asian maple? Hard N. American?
- How is the quality of the bearing edges? Smooth? Rough?
- What is customer service like? Good? Bad?
- How is the hardware/lug quality?
- Do they stay tuned well? Tune up easily?
- Are they fairly heavy drums? I play Reference now...they're *damn* heavy.
- Do the bass drum claws have a rubber or felt gasket, or do they ding up the hoops?

Thanks!

Now I'm down to the details, as I'm pretty picky. Some questions for Saturn owners:

- What kind of maple is used on the inner plies? Soft Asian maple? Hard N. American?
- Do the bass drum claws have a rubber or felt gasket, or do they ding up the hoops?

Thanks!
Im a Saturn owner and I wouldnt say they r mid-range kits I would say they r up there w Professional kits, they r great drums for the money as u pointed out. I will try to answer some questions here but IMO feel free to call mapex directly and ask them they will be happy to take care of u
http://usa.mapexdrums.com/contact/index.asp

- The bearing edges are smooth no problems there
- Customer service is EXCELLENT, call them and see it for urself
- Hardware is nice I dont mind the lugs, havent had any issues w them the hoops r 2.3mm power hoops wished they were die cast but thats what they use
- The tuning range is amazing, can be really punchy on the face or deep due to the walnut u get that extra hump. Very Versatile drums. They do tune easily and stay tune for a long time based on my experience
- This drums r not heavy in contrast w the reference series
- About the claws they do have rubber but the rubber only cover the inner tip of the claw not the whole thing as Pearl or Tama does (I pointed this out to them time back and they integrated the style on the meridian series, probably they will on the Saturn soon)

In general Im extremely happy w the kit, I bought it used and is amazing for the $$ I payed. Everytime I had a question I'll either call Mapex directly or talked to the guys at the mapex forum (Center Stage M) which is an amazing site

Hope it helps u
GL on the purchase

kettles

Gold Member
I've got a Modern Drummer review (it's a PDF, have a look around you should find it online) which says North American maple. However the Saturn page on the Mapex site doesn't say, which I find odd because if it were the good stuff you would think that they would state it.

Smooth as. the tip of the edge is right at the outer edge of the shell. Perhaps someone with better terminology can explain this better :p

Haven't had much experience, but I've been writing to their marketing manager on facebook and he's been very helpful.

The chrome on the hoops seems to be pitting already, whether this is due to the quality of the chrome or the fact that my kit sat in the shop for 10 months I don't know. I've got a few gripes about the kick - the isolation mounts stick out quite far, which means the kick and toms require oversized cases, also the spurs on the kick can be quickly changed from a plastic foot to a spike, but doing this requires me to adjust the length of the spur because it changes the angle that the drum sits on the floor. also the plastic foot isn't great, i'd prefer it be rubber, but maybe they have changed this.

They tune very easily. and stay tuned well.

my 24x18 kick is surprisingly light for it's size.

small gasket as stated above, it's possible that you could buy gaskets for a meridian and replace them if it's an issue for you.

Overall they're awesome drums, the way I have them tuned everything has a solid "thwack" which I LOVE. a few minor set backs but nothing that would stop me from buying them. Agree that they are above "mid range" drums, tbh if I were just getting a practice kit I think the meridians would be more than enough, the only major difference is the wood.

Here's my kit, a photo of it is actually stuck on the fridge in the Mapex head office, cool ay? http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=490035031728&set=a.490034946728.261332.31026926728

RobertM

Platinum Member
Yes, the Saturns are a pretty good deal. The maple is supposed to be North American, even though the Web site no longer clarifies as such (they once did). The majority of Mapex's high-level pro endorsers use the Saturn kit despite the Orion being at the top of the list, and I don't think Mapex would cheap out with Asian maple when the Saturn is the kit of choice for their big pros.

Call Shane at JustDrumsonline.com. He does a lot of work with Mapex and could tell you for certain about their quality. Or, e-mail a rep at the company. I did that once and got a timely reply--they were quite responsive and helpful.

W

Woz.275

Saturns are Pro kits, and +1 to all that has been writtten before on this thread.