Mapex Saturn shell construction history

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Can someone tell me when Mapex changed the shell construction of the Saturn series from maple/basswood to maple/walnut? I'm particularly interested in what they would have been doing around 2006-07. My reasons for this will become clear later.

They have always answered me quickly when I contacted them with a question.
They have good customer service.

Ah, brilliant, thanks! Basically, I've just bought a 2007-vintage Saturn that I'm yet to go and collect and I wanted to find out how similar it is to the more recent ones.

The walnut is the inner ply and can be seen through the heads- it's much darker than maple. Here's my bass drum minus the front head;

IMG_5334.jpg

And the toms from above

IMG_5342.jpg

This is the only picture I have where I can see the inside...

$T2eC16ZHJGsFFMeBMv4-BRUuNljopQ~~60_12.JPG

Hard to tell from this because of the lighting/angle.

Nice drums. Enjoy. Peace and goodwill.

This is the only picture I have where I can see the inside...

$T2eC16ZHJGsFFMeBMv4-BRUuNljopQ~~60_12.JPG

Hard to tell from this because of the lighting/angle.

Looks like the bassword/maple.

Cool finish!

Yeah, it is cool isn't it! I think this must be Laser Black Sparkle or whatever it was called. And I agree, it looks too pale to be walnut...but that could just be the picture as everywhere seems to state that all Saturns post-2002 would be maple/walnut. And they are the newer badges as well:

$T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngNEvBRUuNpN(Cw~~60_12.JPG

Ah, also from a post on another forum (from 2010):

"Also (as nobody has mentioned it yet) they recently started coating the insides of the shells. I believe this was last year. The wood on the non-coated versions appears lighter than the coated versions, but it is still walnut."

That could explain it then.

Last edited:
Back