Mapex Saturn identification

Frosticles

Silver Member
Hi there, I have just picked up this Mapex Saturn. It was described as a "Manhattan: Sizes (I think) are 22x20, 10x7(8?), 12x8(9?) & 16x14. Colour is Transparent Walnut. Any idea what year these would be from? Any more info on them?

Many thanks In Advance :)

s-l1600 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

s-l1600-2 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
It's a great looking Saturn 3 kit. I can't give you an exact date but the Saturn 4 came out around 2014 so it's before that. I'm going to guess around 2010? They are maple/walnut. The was a run of birch/walnut for a year or so too, and that would say on the badge. Fantastic kit. Heavy but fantastic.

Last edited:

cutaway79

Silver Member
I personally like this incarnation of the Saturns the best. The hardware looks classier than the new stuff, in my opinion. And the ITS system allows for some pretty interesting mounting options. For instance, Here's my 16x16 floor tom (it's an Orion, but same hardware) mounted to a rack with two tom arms for stability.

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_191941.jpg
    IMG_20181203_191941.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 123

Frosticles

Silver Member
Many thanks for your answers :) Going to give it a good clean today as it has been sitting for a while. New Clear Emperors going on also. No idea what I am actually going to use it for as yet though. May need to sell my Premier Artist Maple.
Will post pics when it's clean & set up :)

Artstar

Platinum Member

You got a good one before they went ultra-cheeze with the current lineup.

😀😋

VitalTransformation

Silver Member

I agree! I can’t get with with design changes from the Saturn IV on (that includes the Armory series). Even though the quality of the drums themselves has possibly been improved. Too early to start manufacturing a «Saturn Classic» series?

Frosticles

Silver Member

😀😋

I have heard a lot say that the 3 is considered the most desirable??

What are the horrible changes?

Frosticles

Silver Member
I have nothing to offer other than to say - gorgeous kit! That black chrome is decadent.

Thank you. My two Yamaha kits are staying put as well as I could never get rid of those. May rotate between my RTC's & the Saturn for gigging with & save the RC's for recording only :)

Yes, One of the things that attracted me to this kit was the anodised fittings :)

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
What are the horrible changes?

Not Artstar, but IMO the «Batwing» lugs, the black ‘M’ logos and all the fade-to-black wood finishes makes me feel they’re catering to the metal crowd exlusively, these days...

Your kit looks stellar, even with the black chrome which I’m usually not a fan of!

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
Here’s my Saturn III’s which I love:

picture.php

Artstar

Platinum Member
Not Artstar, but IMO the «Batwing» lugs, the black ‘M’ logos and all the fade-to-black wood finishes makes me feel they’re catering to the metal crowd exlusively, these days...

YES.. Exactly ! It's like some kind of Cartoonish, slightly metal-goth theme with VERY FEW nice colors. Shells I'm sure have gotten better built, but they went in reverse on the identity.

In the late 90's.. they were rivaling pretty much everybody with the color palette and hardware finish options.

Frosticles

Silver Member

Your kit looks stellar, even with the black chrome which I’m usually not a fan of!

Thank you :) I will have a look at later Saturn's to see the changes & to convince myself I have bought the right kit :)