Mapex Saturn 2020.......wtf happened

AZDRUMZ

So IDK if anyone here saw the new Mapex Saturn evolutions (basically Saturn VIs) at namm, but they showed off the amped-up Saturn series. It had a new mount on the rack toms that allowed you to control the sustain of the drum, they had different coloured hardware options (brushed or standard chrome), they had the option for a birch walnut hybrid shell instead of the typical maple walnut hybrid option, a wide variety of new finish options, and they came with the same 90-degree floor tom legs, and sonic saver hoops as the BPs.

fast forward to July and we get four new finishes, new venting, and 90-degree floor tom legs along w/ all of the old features. I´m not saying that the new Saturn kits are bad, I actually want the white one. I'm just wondering what happened to the stuff they showed at Namm. not enough demand?

Woolwich

Silver Member
I'm struggling with the Mapex site at the moment, it's never loaded well on my laptop for some reason, but one thought could be they're doing two lines, a Saturn VI and a Saturn Evolution? They also appear to be talking about a "new" Nodal Line mounting system/point that I can't recall seeing them talking about before.
A personal opinion is that the new mount looked awful and that perhaps all of these innovative features would raise the price too high without adding massive benefits. One of the selling points of the Saturn is the high quality at a lower pricepoint than for other manufacturers. Maybe all of those mounting gubbins would have put them into Tama Starclassic price territory leaving the likes of the Renown to sweep up at their current price level and the Starclassic to win at the higher budget line? All opinion and speculation.

iCe

Out of curiosity i checked the site too and got sidetracked because internet happened (got lost in the links haha)
Haven't seen the new Mapex kits with that new mounting system popping up. Did spot an 30th Anniversary kit, but had the regular mounts
The new mounting system is really innovating, but it's so bulky and over-engineered that if you told me that is was part of on SR-71 Blackbird i would believe you

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
As a happy Saturn V Tour owner I'm worried Mapex are in danger of trying to recreate the wheel a bit too much with the evolution. Don't think any of the new clicks, bells and whistles do anything.

That new evolution mount is awful looking and how they've had to reposition badges to fit it in. The drums look goofy. They remind me of Geordie La Forge of Star Trek.

They were onto a big winner with the Tour series for gigging drummers, 20x14 bass drum (sold on that!). Best of all it put a pro kit in the intermediate price bracket. I really hope they keep this line as they got everything right here.

I do like the new Metallion BP snare. They've got really stupid names but it sounds amazing.

As for demand, no gigs since March for pretty much everyone around the world has or will have a major impact on supply and demand.

cbphoto

Gold Member
From their catalog:
The multiple US & International Patent Pending MAATS system mitigates the weight of the drum into a dynamically/floating magnetic space field.
But it won’t mitigate the darts tossed at Mapex for creating such an extraordinary magnetic space field.

7F6EE0D9-1C49-4F08-B31A-49229D7602A4.jpeg

mikyok

Platinum Member
Wasn't the Metallion/Metallian the "mascot" from the front cover of Judas Priest's Defenders Of The Faith Album :cool:
Yes it was, that explains where the stupid name comes from. They're Black Country lads and like me originated in West Bromwich :)

AZDRUMZ

As a happy Saturn V Tour owner I'm worried Mapex are in danger of trying to recreate the wheel a bit too much with the evolution. Don't think any of the new clicks, bells and whistles do anything.

That new evolution mount is awful looking and how they've had to reposition badges to fit it in. The drums look goofy. They remind me of Geordie La Forge of Star Trek.

They were onto a big winner with the Tour series for gigging drummers, 20x14 bass drum (sold on that!). Best of all it put a pro kit in the intermediate price bracket. I really hope they keep this line as they got everything right here.

I do like the new Metallion BP snare. They've got really stupid names but it sounds amazing.

As for demand, no gigs since March for pretty much everyone around the world has or will have a major impact on supply and demand.
IDK where you live but in Prescott, AZ no one really gives a damn about corona. I saw a band play on the square two days ago

petrez

Really liked some of the finishes on the Evolution series, especially the silver one. But I agree about the weird looking mount/offset logo, don't know if that would be a dealbreaker or not on those drums, I bet they would sound killer anyway. My guess is they delayed the production of the new line because of the pandemic going on, but I might be wrong. And then at least they released some new colours to the regular Saturn lines, just to have something new coming except for the new snares.... But hey, I'm only guessing here :)

Last edited:

Darth Vater

IDK where you live but in Prescott, AZ no one really gives a damn about corona. I saw a band play on the square two days ago
Hence AZ being in the top 10 in number of cases! :rolleyes:

The release of the Saturn Evolutions were put off until January 2021 because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Last edited:

TJK

I'm struggling with the Mapex site at the moment, it's never loaded well on my laptop for some reason, but one thought could be they're doing two lines, a Saturn VI and a Saturn Evolution? They also appear to be talking about a "new" Nodal Line mounting system/point that I can't recall seeing them talking about before.
A personal opinion is that the new mount looked awful and that perhaps all of these innovative features would raise the price too high without adding massive benefits. One of the selling points of the Saturn is the high quality at a lower pricepoint than for other manufacturers. Maybe all of those mounting gubbins would have put them into Tama Starclassic price territory leaving the likes of the Renown to sweep up at their current price level and the Starclassic to win at the higher budget line? All opinion and speculation.
the website is a pile of shit they really need to get it fixed

mikyok

Platinum Member
Why do they call the Black Country...the Black Country?
Industrial revolution, coal seam was close to the surface which made it easier to mine. Unfortunately that means buying a house here is all kinds of fun because you need a mining report and they sunk shafts everywhere!

Black by day from coal, soot and smoke. Red by night from the iron furnaces. Tolkien got the idea for Mordor from Dudley which is far far worse. Randomly we've just got Unesco geopark status, whatever that is.

Are you referring to Birmingham England?
Nope we're next door. We've got a castle, they haven't :)

You'll have to ask Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa, Jason Bonham, or Derek Sherinian. Oh wait, that's Black Country Communion. ;-)
Jason Bonham is from the Black Country, his dads old flat is about 2 miles away. Not the Zep IV flats sadly, those are in Birmingham. Glenn Hughes is localish.