Mapex Meridian Maple VS Mapex Saturn?

jondrumming

I may surprise some of you with this, but I have actually almost indefinitely decided on Mapex, I am just impressed overall with the quality of their products.

I have also decided on ONE bass drum. I took all of your advice, and I'm going single with double pedal.

I am wondering though, except for the price, what are (if any) the big differences between the Meridian Maples and the Saturns?

Man, Meridian Maples are great sounding drums, and like you said, great quality. Saturn's, on the other hand are awesome sounding, but, PRICEY.

Man, Meridian Maples are great sounding drums, and like you said, great quality. Saturn's, on the other hand are awesome sounding, but, PRICEY.

Ugh yeah I read that the Saturn's prices went up 50% in January!

So are the Saturns worth the price difference? Or, with the right heads, can you get pretty much the same sound on Meridian Maples?

The Saturns sound much better to my ear. They are great value for the money. Just get one on eBay, they are quite affordable used.

Ugh yeah I read that the Saturn's prices went up 50% in January!

So are the Saturns worth the price difference? Or, with the right heads, can you get pretty much the same sound on Meridian Maples?

You need to check them out and listen to them both if you haven't already. I doubt you could get Meridians to sound like Saturn's. Saturn's are worth the extra money if you have it and your not on a strict budget.

I think some people will enjoy this.....Here is a link for the saturn crossover, 1199.00 on musicians friend...which is 1000 under what they were asking for it...Unfortunately, it is only root beer burst sparkle (which is cool), but I think that there was another color available, possibly not through musicians friend. It makes me wonder if there was something wrong with this particular run of kits, but I doubt it.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mapex-Saturn-Crossover-Drum-Set?sku=446916

I own a saturn and was in the market for a pro-m(is that the same as the meridian?i'll assume it is)And the sound and quality is far above and beyond the pro-m if you ask me.Mind you if they have gone up fifty %(OUCH!) then i may be swayed to the Meridian.Its not that the Pro -m was terrible just did'nt have the complete professional feel of the saturn.I say look for an older second hand saturn.
I could never understand how they afforded to sell the saturns so cheap and i guess they could'nt.

Well if you can afford the Saturn, by all means get it.
This isn't even a fair question, the Saturn was DESIGNED to blow the Meridians out of the water.
That being said, the Meridians are still damn good drums...

Ha! Saturns didn't go up 50%. Not by any means. =)

Saturns are very unique. I've read from multiple industry sources that the Saturn series is THE best selling line of drums for the past 2 years now.

The Meridian Maples are great, nicely packaged maple kits for under $1000 and designed to be an intermediate level kit. The Saturns are pro all the way. They have a very distinct smooth, yet punchy sound. The maple gives it the resonance and the walnut gives it punch and shell strength. They're unbeatable in their price point.

That's a Saturn in my avatar. =)

saturn shells have a walnut inner ply. the walnut is purely cosmetic and probably is cheaper wood and is now coated brown. some claim walnut gives better lows but imo this is because of the thinner saturn shell. if considering mapex you might wanna check the drums closely before paying because mapex quality could be less constant than advertised.

Attachments

• dworld.jpg
    dworld.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 6,947
The Saturns have TWO plies of Walnut on the interior. And it's much more than just for cosmetics. It's adds strength to the shell and focus and punch to the sound. Walnut is actually an expensive wood. The Saturns are top notch all the way.

that is THREE plies less north american maple than in orion which cost much more. here are some top notch constant quality pictures. minor cracks but still cracks. would not want hoops like this. more cracks and dents http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52834. i would still want saturn sound if quality was ok.

Attachments

• P7290133.JPG
    P7290133.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 4,998
  • P7290137.JPG
    P7290137.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 4,871
  • P7290138.JPG
    P7290138.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 4,731
  • P7100301.JPG
    P7100301.JPG