Mapex Meridian Maple - the waiting game...

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
Yeah, I know that some guys here have ordered drums and kits with an excess of 4 months lead time, but a 5 day wait is already seeming like eternity!

I just pulled the trigger on a Mapex Meridian Maple in Cobalt Blue - I couldn't be more excited! Delivery is for Thursday

There was a huge moment of indecision about what sizes to go for - the 22" or 20" kick really had me on the fence. I decided to heck with what I'm used to (got an 18"x22" on my Rockstars) and went for the 20" kick. Reasoning being that a) I play small to medium venues and can always amp up if outdoor/bigger b) practicalities of transporting - this'll save my back a little less weight c) position of drums and over all footprint.

Specs will be:

18"x20" bass
8"x10" rack
9"x12 rack
14"x14" floor
5.5"x14" snare

Once it's here there will be pictures of unboxing, set up and finished kit. I am well aware that unless there are pics then indeed it did not happen - they'll be here ASAP!

I will keep an eye open for a 16"x16" floor tom to round the set off eventually, though the chance to try a totally new config really excites me (Rockstars are 22, 10, 12, 16, 14sn).

Now, where is that time machine...

Yeah - it's really eye catching! I might have to steal Trilogy's avatar pic now, though...

Congrats! Meridians are great drums and the cobalt fade is a really striking finish! I'm looking forward to the pics!

I will keep an eye open for a 16"x16" floor tom to round the set off eventually...

You may want to get that add-on sooner rather than later, as Mapex has (foolishly) discontinued that finish. :(

Congrats! Meridians are great drums and the cobalt fade is a really striking finish! I'm looking forward to the pics!

You may want to get that add-on sooner rather than later, as Mapex has (foolishly) discontinued that finish. :(

Fortunately for me not so in the UK. It's only discontinued in the USA. They offer different shell packs both sides of the Atlantic, different finishes now too!

Nice purchase, Meridian drums are great.
The cool thing is that they are just as good as the drums that you wait several months for.
Enjoy.

Nice purchase, Meridian drums are great.
The cool thing is that they are just as good as the drums that you wait several months for.
Enjoy.

Yeah - that's what attracted me to them. A lot of desirable features with a REALLY attractive price tag. Cannot complain!

So, one night out of the way, 4 to go!

I was looking for a Meridian Maple recently but the only one they had left was the Cobalt Blue and I really didn't want it, so I ended up getting a Meridian Birch instead and couldn't be happier.

Did you specifically choose the blue finish, or was there no other choice?

I'm after the exact same set-up (but with a 16x20) and price range. I'd love to hear your reviews and recordings once you have them. I'll be subscribed to this thread till then. =]

I have recorded a good few albums with my meridian studioease and it's awesome. Such a lot of kit for the money....

I actually used my meridian in the studio for this recording, although the video was shot using my Yamaha. This was recorded in a kick ass studio that I am lead to believe Porcupine Tree have been in (based in Suffolk, UK) and it's a reasonably natural sound for reference....

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=GB#/watch?v=pQDsH1N5G4Y

I was looking for a Meridian Maple recently but the only one they had left was the Cobalt Blue and I really didn't want it, so I ended up getting a Meridian Birch instead and couldn't be happier.

Did you specifically choose the blue finish, or was there no other choice?

I was very much deliberately getting the blue. It's my very favorite finish on any line of drums. Why weren't you keen on it?

I'm after the exact same set-up (but with a 16x20) and price range. I'd love to hear your reviews and recordings once you have them. I'll be subscribed to this thread till then. =]

They don't offer the 16x20 in a shellpack in UK - would you custom order or cut down..?

I'll be making a new pic thread when I get them in, and hopefully getting some H2 recordings at band practice - maybe some proper mic'd recordings later.

I have recorded a good few albums with my meridian studioease and it's awesome. Such a lot of kit for the money....

I actually used my meridian in the studio for this recording, although the video was shot using my Yamaha. This was recorded in a kick ass studio that I am lead to believe Porcupine Tree have been in (based in Suffolk, UK) and it's a reasonably natural sound for reference....

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=GB#/watch?v=pQDsH1N5G4Y

Link doesn't work, dude!

Bloody society! *shakes fist*

Sounds good, dude. Shame there's not more tom playing so I can check those out! Kick sounds solid, though!

Did you wind up selling the Meridian in the end, or did you keep it?

I still have it. Would consider a trade for something interesting still, but I'm in no rush to move it on. It makes a great practice kit!!!!

Back