Mapex HiHat Stands Too Short

rebonn

I found out the hard way. Seems all their series have 13" tubes instead of 18" tubes like my others making it a little too short and way too short if you prefer it a little higher. I hate having to return things.

I've never come across a hh stand that is too short. Do you have a pic of the problem? Maybe it's an adjustment issue?

I came across too short hi Hat ; but it was really cheap hardware (beginner), I would be surprised Mapex has got that kind of issue.

Funny thing is that it was so cheap that the stand got shorter as long as I played (!) : no memlock, and flimsy screws.

I'll post a pic tonight of the 13" tube next to my other 18" tubes. It's the first thing I noticed when unpacking the stand even before setting it up. It's ironic that my Mapex throne is the opposite. I have to adjust it all the way down. I'm 5'11".

Every hihat stand I’ve owned goes way higher than I’d ever need. Two of them I’ve had to cut down the upper tube to make them low enough. I like to play on top of the hats rather than on the edge from below.

You can pretty much tell the lack of length on the Mapex even though a small part of the DW is out of frame. The Mapex rod is as long as others but your not able to use it if you so desire like other HiHats because the tube is so short. I can make it work but I wish I had another inch or so. Where have I heard that before? If you have a higher kit or you like the HiHat higher out of the way of your left snare hand, you could have a problem.
The Mapex Throne is the opposite. Luckily the lowest it will go will work for me but if your kit is lower or you're shorter, you could have a problem here as well. I might add, the Mapex drums and Falcon double pedal are great. I'm going to have to adjust the slave pedal, it's out of whack but the primary was perfect out of the box.

Attachments

• HiHat Tubes.jpg
    HiHat Tubes.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 79
That's interesting. Can you return it? Maybe contact Mapex, tell them you have the rest of their hardware and you love it (include a nice group picture), and ask if they have any ideas. They might be nice enough to send you one for free.

I've emailed Mapex. Nothing back yet. I have to call them anyway for special order part numbers anyway. Can anyone measure their tubes to see if they're 13" as well?

Back